If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6100 Royal Scot

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Steamage, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Re: 6100 Royal Scot test runs

What would 35028 be up to at stupid o clock running ECS considering it's in ticket ?.

2. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)

Actually it was a (provisional) loaded test run for 6100. It is now cancelled, as were the light test runs last week.

David

3. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager

Having lost a good and valuable collection of other antiques as a result of the awful management and gross waste of the project, I bet they are.

Just shows how little you know. And incidentally, we've been waiting 7 years, which most people wouldn't consider particularly quick.

On what?

Stonking overheads, keeping the vultures fed adequately... It hasn't all gone on the engine that's for sure. Far from it.

And when it does eventually appear, we'll have to put up with Mr arrogant bleating on about how great - to him - it looks in red, without deflectors, and how the rest of the world will just have to lump it because we should all be grateful to him for keeping steam running 30 years ago. Unfortunately that line is wearing a bit thin now.

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Just shows how little you know. And incidentally, we've been waiting 7 years, which most people wouldn't consider particularly quick.

On what?

Stonking overheads, keeping the vultures fed adequately... It hasn't all gone on the engine that's for sure. Far from it.

And when it does eventually appear, we'll have to put up with Mr arrogant bleating on about how great - to him - it looks in red, without deflectors, and how the rest of the world will just have to lump it because we should all be grateful to him for keeping steam running 30 years ago. Unfortunately that line is wearing a bit thin now.[/quote:1bc2eedh]

S'funny. someone else said almost exactly the same thing to me today. I don't think you and he are the same person. He doesn't hail from Nuneaton! And the guy I was talking to is intimately involved with another loco that keeps cropping up on this thread!

5. stan the man

stan the man Member

Bongo,
    After having a dig at me at least 3 times on these pages I will now have my say.

You really do come over over as a bit of a know it all !! and theres an old saying "know it all know f--k all", I think you fall in the latter category.

if you have been to bressingham in recent months you will see that despite a few of the road engines have been sold off (and these are ones which would have never steamed at bressingham again) bresingham is actually booming and has improved immensely, for example there are now life steam standard gauge footplate rides once again, the terrier is back in steam and shortly Martello will be overhauled.
    Other big mainline engines are now back in steam, what is your problem?? So what if the budget has been exceeded, if you are that bothered why dont you put your hand in your pocket and send off a few quid to help?

As for LMS maroon livery with no smoke deflectors, its Bressinghams engine and they can do as they wish. its certainley not up to you to decide.
    The steam movement can do well without negativity from the armchair brigade.

Do you really think other museums such as Birmingham will even think about letting their Stanier be overhauled, they woudlnt risk the fall out.

As for the NRM, I bet they are also thinking why did they bother to restore 4472, as rather than the praise they deserve they are getting grief.

JS

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

On what?

And when it does eventually appear, we'll have to put up with Mr arrogant bleating on about how great - to him - it looks in red, without deflectors, and how the rest of the world will just have to lump it because we should all be grateful to him for keeping steam running 30 years ago. Unfortunately that line is wearing a bit thin now.[/quote:3h2y0050]

If you don't like the proposed livery then cough up the dosh to paint it the colour you want. OK, so it never carried LMS maroon as a rebuild but does it matter? We'll have another rebuilt Scot gracing the main line and hooray for that. I for one would much prefer BR green but at the same time I recognise and defend the owner's right to paint it any damn colour they like.

7. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager

Huh. What a naiive and stupid thing to say. Given that the person referred to has made it publicly clear that donations to paint it wouldn't be accepted in any case. It's an ego trip he's on, and he wants to keep talking about something to keep himself sounding important. Likewise a lot of these people who milk it as far as they can. In the wider picture it doesn't really matter anyway.

8. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager

Well, I've not been digging at you. Just correcting some of the points you have made.

Too bad. Since you put it like that, I have to say you come over as a "not know very much, but thinks he does". The silent majority can make their own minds up.

I know enough about Bressingham thank you, and I have very regular contact with several people there. But undue detail will bore the average reader. They have been wringing their hands in extreme frustration at what has been going on, but of course they won't be transmitting that to Joe Public - which seems to include you.

Who suggested it might be. Only you. I'm simply commenting on the arrogant attitude of certain people, and the patronising way they consider themselves more important than anyone else.

To my mind, negativity means sitting back and accepting things that are wrong. I advocate positive change to correct scandelous mismanagement.

What's that got to do with 6100?

Clearly you don't understand the relationship between the NRM, the 6100 project, and the previous owners of 4472. I haven't exactly been bombarded with messages from that direction, or any other, disagreeing with anything I've posted on this subject. If anything quite the reverse - which also appears to be supported by the contents of the post made by "steve" in the past 24 hours.

9. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Probably not, certainly not let it be overhauled by certain people when it could be done for half the price in half the time elsewhere, not sure Thinktank would class itself as a Musuem in the normal sense of the word anyway.

What Bressingham wish to do with their engine is their business, but it is right to be swallowing up all this extra cash and time right when it need not be so ?, it's all very well saying we should be gratefull for 6100 being worked on, but how would you feel if you had put a suitably large sum of money towards the engine only to later discover the work could have been done for less than the amount it has cost ?.

If the "Arrogance" at Bressingham is who i think it is, he has a track record for irritating people, right back to his days with BR & Intercity, should be the last person to speak on behalf of Bressingham frankly.

10. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

If that geezer ever puts out an autobiography, he should title it "I Am Right!".

11. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

He wasn't

He isn't

and restoration is either authentic or

It isn't

12. Spamcan81

Training moles

Neither naive nor stupid. Make a sufficiently good business case and most people will listen to you. I don't have a lot of time for David Ward but at the same time see no point in insulting him as that gets you nowhere but sadly that seems to be your approach to anyone who doesn't agree with you. At the end of the day it's only a coat of paint for heaven's sake. The most important thing is that 6100 will up and running again very soon.

13. stan the man

stan the man Member

Is it me or is the Bongo bloke a right know it all??? One thing he is beginning to p--s me right off!

I wonder what experience he has with steam other than verbal????

JS

14. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager

LOL - that's for me to know and for you to guess.

Of course no one is going to get the hump with you are they?

If you read and try and understand for once in your life, instead of bashing away with your own pontifications, you might learn something on this forum. As they say, The clues are all there......

-- Apologies to BBC through the keyhole :) --

15. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager

I didn't mention any names. But since you bring it up, it seems as though some people on here think the cap fits him though. And I have the impression that he is also tainted with the, ahem, "management difficulties".

Exactly.

The coat of paint is far less important an issue than the patronising arrogance.

Hopefully.

And I hope you manage to sort your machine out before too long. Maybe you've been a bit unlucky with incompetent contractors, but it did strike me that maybe you were measuring the 6100 restoration performance against 34081, neither of which win many prizes.

I can remember 34072 being restored to working order from Barry condition in around 18 months. With far less money than these engines we are talking about have been given. Even taking inflation into account. 6100 has a virtually new boiler that didn't need much doing to it - until someone took a torch to it.

16. stan the man

stan the man Member

LOL - that's for me to know and for you to guess.

Of course no one is going to get the hump with you are they?

If you read and try and understand for once in your life, instead of bashing away with your own pontifications, you might learn something on this forum. As they say, The clues are all there......

I guess that means youve done nothing other than to excercise your vast verbal and technical knowledge from the comfort of your armchair.

I think you are the one who needs to undertand a thing or two. Believe you me you know nothing!!!!!
    Oh by the way what is your expereince with Steam locos (other than Hornby?)

JS

17. Spamcan81

Training moles

Full 10 year overhaul for 34081 and the only incompetent contractors we had were involved with faulty firebox repairs - which were rectified - and have no bearing on her being out of traffic now. As for not winning many prizes for the restoration - we won two actually, HRA and Southern Railways Group awards. Fortunately those with some knowledge of how things are done didn't measure achievement against time taken. Yes it took a long while but we did most of the work ourselves and paced ourselves against available income. Never went into debt and finished the job with cash still in the bank. Not bad for a small group and quite frankly I couldn't give a flying ph..k what you think.
    As for Stan The Man, he knows more about steam restoration than you give him credit for. I've seen the fruits of his labours and a very nice bit of kit it is too.

18. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician

Sorry to butt in, but if you read through Bongo posts I think you'll find he's very rarely been wrong.

I wouldn't know Bongo if he bumped into me in the street, but I do know from the past couple of years that I have been on this forum, he has rarely posted rubbish. Yes it may take 3/4 months for the rest of us to catch up and understand what he's been saying, but at least he one of the few who get it right first time.

There is one thread in particular where he warned us all of what was coming. If I remember rightly he got slaughtered by many on here for daring to air such 'rubbish', and even I thought what was written was nonsense. Yet hey-ho 3/4 months later his predictions came true.

And you can't deny that some of the group of people mentioned in this thread have been mentioned in a different thread on this forum. Where there's smoke there's fire.

19. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays

I don't know about Bongo being a 'know it all' but, if you look back at all his postings, not just on this subject, I think you'll find that he hits the nail on the head 99% of the time. His postings certainly don't P--s me off. In fact I look forward to them. They may be controversial but, to me, they are always interesting and I get the impression that those that disagree with him don't really know what they are talking about.

And before you make any comment:
    1) I have no idea who Bongo is or what his involvement with steam is.
    2) I'm no armchair enthusiast and generally put in 4-5 days a week working on Heritage railways. I'm not anonymous, either so you can't throw that red herring in my direction.

Edit.
    I typed this before reading Lil Bears posting. Agree 100% with what he put. And he's usually on target with his postings.

20. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

Steve, I'll second your view on Bongo 100%!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.