If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6100 Royal Scot

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Steamage, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: 6100 Royal Scot test runs

I never had 34081 when it was on the NYMR but it certainly didn't have a reputation for reliability or a job well done. Can't speak about the Southern Railways Group award but I never reckon much to the HRA awards. A good paint job will soon sway those involved, as it does most people.

2. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer

I agree with the last few posts - Bongo does seem to know his stuff. The posts about technical modifications made to 46229 for example were most interesting.

And to be honest, he does have a very valid point about similarities in certain aspects of the restorations of 4472 and 6100.

Regards,

Dan

3. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired

A big problem with railway preservation is the involvement of ex-B.R. managers. These people were working for an organisation where the answer to any problem was to throw money at it.
    There are some people in loco restoration who have too much to say, while also lacking sufficient knowledge of the subject. Some restorers make themselves out to be the best while charging sky high prices for the privilege. However ,the good outfits just get on with the job ,turning out quality work at reasonable prices without flag waving & trumpet blowing.
    Compare the restoration of the two 'Scots' - enough said.

Bob.

4. stan the man

stan the man Member

Perhaps he should think before he accuses people of not knowing what they are talking about then he might not come over as such an arrogant big headed t--t!

I would still like to know what hands on experience Bongo has other than sitting behind a PC with a long scrapped B1 name for a user name. Or indeed where he got his vast knowledge from????

Like most hobbies there are people who do and people who talk but actuallydo nothing. No doubt many of those of us who get involved have seen the air sucking brigade who tell you youve done it all wrong and how they would have done it why dont you do it like this or why dont you do it like that then they s-d off home well satisifed leaving the guy who has spent many hours restoring some old heap of rust (and spent all his cash like me) on his project feeling slightly deflated.

If a few more got out there and got stuck in then perhaps groups wouldnt have to pay people huge sums of money to bodge up engines.

Oh, thanks for the kind comments Spamcan, all being well we will be back in steam for the Summer season. You are welcome to spend a day on the footplate. I will be in touch.

JS

5. Steve

From where I'm sitting, you are just describing yourself!
    So would I. However, I'm only too willing to accept that he knows what he is talking about. His track record proves it. I'm sorry to say it, but your posts don't convey that same feeling.

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

Wouldn't put too much faith in reputations. Even now many a heritage line suffers from a "not invented here" syndrome. I've heard drivers slag off an engine because it comes from a different line or BR region and in cases such as that they're never going to get the best out of the job. When 34081 was on the Moors one driver told me he was delighted with it and another would have put it on the low loader for home rather than have driven it. Different folks, different strokes. 34081 did have her problems at times but on the other hand she held the NVR steam service together for more than one season and really racked up the miles at the NNR. No disrespect but until you've won an award it's easy to say you don't reckon much to one and I can assure you it wasn't just about the paint job and until you really know the ins and outs of a particular project and the people involved and comment is just speculation based on hearsay.

7. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired

Now that is interesting. I can assure you that B.R. Managers never had any money to throw at anything.

I wish that it could have been so. Think of APT or plain and simple electrification.

Meic Batten

8. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student

So without being kicked off at.. How far along is 6100?

9. Steve

Don't need to put faith in reputations. The facts speak for themselves. How long was 34081 on the NYMR? 8-9 months, and in that time it covered 1728 miles; that's 24 days in traffic and most of that came at the end of its stay after all the faults had been put right. As for winning an award, I've been involved in a loco that won the same award as you. It came to us with an 'overhauled' bottom half and we did the boiler and painted it. I'm presently having to rebuild the so-called overhauled bottom half. Like I said, a good paint job will sway a lot of people.

But we're straying off topic now....

10. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

And that response, Bongo, sums up the problem. You may or may not know what you are talking about. Some of your posts come across as knowledgeable, written with a desire to inform and enlighten. A few carry the sort of belligerent arrogance that you clearly dislike in some of the characters you criticise. In particular, when anyone asks you what your background is, you become evasive and a little aggressive, so it's not surprising that others, who are prepared to state their own involvement (or lack of) in preservation projects, express some scepticism. I'm sure you have good reasons for being so cagey, but as a result, may I suggest that you should chose your words more carefully, to avoid unnecessary unpleasantness?

We all know that it is easy to convey the wrong impression when writing, especially in this sort of forum where responses are bounced back and forth rapidly. Therefore, we all need to be careful to make sure that what we write is clear and says what we mean to say. I'll stop preaching now....

11. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Might i pose the theory that maybe Bongo doesn't show us his background for the reason that maybe he can't ?, it is quite possible that certain people close to him woulden't be happy with him posting certain things if they knew his true indentity, hence staying anonymous maybe the only way he can post certain subject matter.

It doesn't take a genius to work out Bongo is more than an "armchair" as some suggest given his knowledge in some postings.

12. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

It's the same old story really... 'I don't like what he says, therefore he must be an armchair critic, an idiot, or just wrong.' Hmmm!

I couldn't have put that better myself, though I have tried many times!

Incidentally, recently I witnessed a certain engine, which features amongst other fine works, an assortment of scaffolding components crafted onto it, and copper pipe runs simulated with finest quality BSP conduit, win an award for 'restoration excellence'. Initially it does give you a feeling of some despair, especially when so much quality work goes unnoticed, but to be honest, if it results in some extra cash going towards these projects, it can't be such a bad thing.

13. Steve

After a while on this forum, I reached an opinion on the various posters as you probably all do. Some I looked upon with respect, always giving good factual information and comment. Others I took with a pinch of salt; they could give good comment but equally could spout rubbish. Then there are those who do the latter all the time. I don't know which category my posts fall into but, IMHO, at least some of those who I respect seem to be supporting Bongo and none are denigrating him.

14. joe_issitt

joe_issitt New Member

Ex-Boiler Maker

I'm sorry but where did the attacking of 34081 come into it? Its not a bad bit of kit, a little warm in the summer but if you know how to handle it, it steams like a goodun'. It was out of traffic for a while but with only a small group looking after it and with a releatively small budget, repairs are going to be slow.

15. Spamcan81

Training moles

Cheers Joe. Yep, not many of us to look after the old gal but if our Lottery application comes up trumps that will make a big difference as we can afford to share the work between volunteers and others so fingers crossed.

16. Steve

It is perhaps unfortunate that 34081 has crept into this thread. Bongo probably used it as a comparison because of your pseudonym and it has gone from there. Believe me, there are plenty of other so-called good locos out there that are in far worse condition under the paintwork. I've certainly nothing against the loco or the team that support it and I wish you all the best of luck in your lottery application.

17. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager

Agreed. I only made the comment because just that particular day some details of it's current status on the NNR had been related to me. After the debacle of the corner pressings and the welding thereof, it sounded as though 34081 still isn't going to have an active high profile for a while. With one of the members busy saying on here that the financial whirlpool of the 6100 project seeming okay to him, I couldn't help drawing a comparison. However there is an order of magnitude of difference in the financing of 34081 compared with 6100, so that probably wasn't fair. I don't suppose for a minute that 92 squadrons' team intentionally waste/mismanage/divert funds, which is what the main thrust of that part of the discussion was about.

18. Impala

Impala Member

Project Manager

I gather that they will shortly have a lot more free time. 6100 probably won't ever get finished at Southall. So much money has been wasted that it needs more support, and some skill and organisation which has so far been sadly lacking.

So, is it back to Bressingham, or off to somewhere like Crewe? Maybe Pete W might show a bit of interest...

Watch this space.

(Hoping it doesn't snow too much towards the end of the week and cause another delay) ;)

19. Spamcan81

Training moles

The corner pressings were OK, it was the muppets who welded them in who caused all the problems. Better not say any more as you never know who's reading this. 34081 won't be active for a while. Preparing a lottery application is not something to be rushed and assuming we get a positive result it could still be two to three years before the overhaul is completed. Frustrating as we're keen to get stuck in but HLF have advised that we are best advised to hold our horses pending submission of our application.
    Back to 6100, has this waste/mismanagement etc. been brought to the notice of the relevant authorities?

P.S. I'd love to know who said the financial whirlpool of the 6100 project was OK. AFAIK I'm the only BBLS chap posting on this thread, although who knows who's behind all the aliases here, and I don't recall saying I approve of the situation even if I did question the allegations being made.

20. Steve

You've mentioned your HLF application for funding for 34081 several times now. It also sems to be that you are on with your overhaul. AFAIK one of the fundamentals of any HLF award is that the project has not already commenced which would appear to make any application for 34081 a non-starter. Are HLF supportive or are you just hopeful?

Off topic. Apologies in advance, Mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.