If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6100 Royal Scot

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by neildimmer, May 18, 2013.

1. Wadebridge

Wadebridge New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The current state of this locomotive is once more a kit of parts. The chassis is inside the workshop part of the main Heritage Centre exhibition hall, the driving wheels are outside under a tarpaulin, the boiler (now minus all tubes and smokebox etc) is also outside as is the tender. Very little appears to be happening with it at the moment. I will endeavour to keep this thread updated as and when work progresses appreciably.

2. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    I am confused about this, did I miss something being wrong with the boiler to warrant what sounds like a full overhaul? I thought the main problem was misalignment, which seems similar to the problems that 4472 experienced.

3. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
    The boiler must now be 4 or even 5 years into its ticket, so if it takes another year, thats 6 years. So maybe they have decided it would be best/more economical to go a new.

Also, if the boiler was done to the same standard as the rest of the loco, then it would probably be best to strip the boiler and check it all.

4. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    One would think that the boiler has been stripped down so that if and when the chassis is ready the whole inspection/assembly /testing process towards a new 'ticket' can be actioned
    As boilers are independently inspected then presumably the standard of preparation was good last time, and with only a few steamings since then with a fair wind no further work will be neccessary ?

5. Pjamie

Pjamie New Member

The boiler ticket will be reset once finished.

6. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Could be the boiler has to come off to allow remedial work to the frames anyway, least in theory the boiler should need minimal work when required again.

The pair of Scot's haven't had much luck in preservation thus far have they ?, long inactive periods with major problems and while Guardsman is a beast, it's yet to have an extended spell of reliability.

7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

And both scots has issues with their first tickets... Didnt 6115 only manage 3 mainline trips in 1977 on its first 10 year ticket ?..
    Probably the same mileage as 6100 on its first ticket (first ticket that allows it to run outside of a garden).
    Perhaps that's why they were rebuilt in the first time, the class is doomed to "if at first you don't succseed" syndrome ? :)

Does anyone know the score with 6115 and its first overhaul in the 1970's ?

8. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

To get a new ticket, the boiler would have to be stripped anyway with all tubes out, its a good job JH has deep pockets, he's going to need them , how much more is a new set of tubes, on top of the amount of work done so far?

9. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Is it mandatory to have new tubes in such an unusual case as this where they have had probably less than a months use in total ?, unless somethings gone drastically wrong, I'd imagine the difference between them and a new set is virtually none.

10. martin butler

the ends of the flue tubes could be re used, but under normal removal, with cutting torch, you would destroy the ends of the tubes anyway ,the only way is to cut the ends unscrew the threaded end from the firebox where threaded or cut through where they are beaded over , you are therefore going to end up with shorter tubes, the only thing i know can be reused are the superheater elements .
    to carry out a full exam most boiler inspectors would insist on the boiler being fully gutted even if it has only been steamed half a dozen times
    If the smokebox is off, is there an issue with the front tubeplate, or the positioning of the steam pipes ?

11. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

To answer ADB968008's question about 46115 and its first preservation overhaul, carried out at Dinting, the loco suffered a flue tube failure whilst in steam at Dinting, fortunately without injury to anyone, but as far as I recall it was not repaired and steamed thereafter.

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Thanks for that, did 6115 have a full overhaul in the 1970s or was it some form of extension of its BR days status ?

13. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Not sure it was actually 6115 that suffered the flue failure but after it ran a couple of times in 1978 rules concerning main line loco boilers were tightened, retrospectively applying to the scot and confining it to the demo line at Dinting. It also had a spell at Liverpool Road, Manchester (now mosi) as part of the Rocket 150 events. A boiler lift and strip would have been required to meet the new requirements. which was not affordable.

14. 3855

3855 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    532 Blue Peter had the flue issues

15. fentmar

fentmar New Member

Does anyone know the current situation with this engine?

Has there been progress fixing the issues with the horn guide alignment?

Will Bressingham retain a stake in the engine?

Seems a dreadful waste if things at a standstill

16. class8mikado

Agreed , a good spec for a mainliner and the chances of a doubleheaded scots outing gradually fading away...

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

We've not had double headed Brits and both are running, (or even 2 Brits in steam together, forget any chance of a BR Std 4-6-2 line up).. yet.. and 2 out of 3 are running...

18. martin butler

i think all you can say is it will be done when its done, at the moment JH has enough of his mainline enginess availible to meet the needs of the railtour market, i would not be surprised if 6100 has been put on the back burner until one of the fleet goes out for a 10 yearly and the market seems to coping without it i dont see pages of people clammering for it to run ,best that it gets a proper overhaul and all the faults rectified than rush it out only to have it fail at some stage.

19. class8mikado

That makes a lot of sense given the number and quality of his locos currently on the go...

20. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Would also make sense to put the loco in the care of Riley's given their knowledge of Stanier 4-6-0s and proven quality standards.