If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

6201 Princess Elizabeth

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Linesider, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efiste2

efiste2 New Member

there has been a lot of critisim against the volunteers if you read the earlier posts............especially from one particular poster, who made made personal attacks and named names, Obviousley he had some sort of personal axe to grind, And furthermore nothing would please me more to post on here what has been revealed in the last few months both on and off the engine, but its the support crews wishes that successful running of the engine, as yesterdays run proved, does more than any backstabbing can prove. Im not saying All is ideal in the 6201 group, far from it infact, but to attack the people that keep her running out there on the mainline, for you and ME to see and enjoy is utterly wrong, and im 100% positive that most of these backstabbers dont understand the effort and time that goes into the running of a MAINLINE STEAM LOCOMOTIVE, and thats for any loco not just 6201

2. Red Devil

Red Devil New Member

6201's run on May 9 was a triumph for the support crew and congratulation are to be giving to all concerned. But as reports of missing tender springs start to circulate, does this mean that its main line return has been short lived?

3. THE MELTER

THE MELTER Member

ENGINEER
    you seem to be very very close to the source of this rumour red devil.
    you wouldn,t be gently stiring things by any chance would you?
    Absent tender springs or any other component for that matter could simply be ongoing well planned maintenance in preperation for future tours, if your mind works in a positive way that is.
    or, it could be as you say, a rumour started by one who is a clandestine manure mixer.

The Melter

4. 6201member

6201member New Member

Could they be the same tenders springs requiring attention, that were mentioned in a letter to all 6201 society members by Roy Kerry in Jan 2009.

5. Red Devil

Red Devil New Member

Actually I saw it reported on the other forum.

6. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Actually I saw it reported on the other forum.[/quote:1hlzk0os]
    By "the other forum", do you mean The Works, run by Ian Riley? If so, keep in mind that Ian has publicly spoken out against the move to Crewe last year, and it would appear that he and several friends and colleagues lost out because of the move. This may sometimes have an influence on the way some stories are reported and discussed on that forum.

7. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I'm glad someone else has noticed Mark...

8. IKB

IKB Member

[/quote] it would appear that he and several friends and colleagues lost out because of the move. [/quote]

I must be getting old or something.
    Why didn't I see that before.
    Put's a whole new light on the subject.
    suddenly a lot of things make sense!

9. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    it would appear that he and several friends and colleagues lost out because of the move. [/quote]

I must be getting old or something.
    Why didn't I see that before.
    Put's a whole new light on the subject.
    suddenly a lot of things make sense![/quote]

In Ian's defence, not that he needs anyone to defend him I'm sure, he's saying nothing on his forum that he hasn't said here so whatever has coloured his opinion, it's nothing to do with whichever forum he's posted it on.

10. efiste2

efiste2 New Member

Lost out FINANCIALLY that is.......in terms of the revenue a mainline steam locomotive must generate, got to agree with the previous post its good to other people are starting to see the real reasons for the outbursts directed at the liize crew

11. 5596

5596 Member Account Suspended

Ian was a potential repairer yes - but why fistey - don't you tell the full story?

12. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

Your intimation is tantamount to alleged fraud!

My only concern despite your ill-advised opinion , in this instance is for the locomotive, which incidentally I personally provided a 'bridging-loan' (at 0% interest to the society) to ensure it's timely overhaul at the last 'Major'.

You father, read back to page 11 of this thread, assured us that 46201 WOULD NOT be outside for the winter months....echoing what the chairman had told his committee to sway them to move the loco from the ELR to CHC...this of course we now know to have been miss-leading at least!

It was this decision that caused Mr Roy Kerry, and two other active support crew members to resign.

My concern is that two CHC trustees are using their influence to dictate the future of the locomotive at, in my opinion, the detriment of the locomotive, and the loss of their superb, loyal engineer and his assistants.

13. efiste2

efiste2 New Member

Fraud.............lol, I was only stating that YOU would make money out of the loco, as im sure LNWR will, that is business and fair play to you, and that loosing lizzie , means you loose a customer and hence income, thats not fraud thats the truth!, and whilst we are talking about truth, it would be better if you find out the truth from the people who have actually been working on the engine over the past few months, and what they have found, rather than starting another public slanging match..........thats my opinion based on not only what i have been told but also physically SEEN on the engine for myself, But a web forum isnt the place to start listing these things in the intrests of ALL parties concerned.

14. Ian Riley

So are you alleging that Roy and his staff, and my company as contractors, were not maintaining the locomotive correctly to the mainline standards as laid down in the M&O policy & plans?, if you have seen this first hand, as you state, what is your own history of mainline steam locomotive maintenance?, pray tell?, and what are our collective alleged deficiencies in our maintenance?...to my mind, 46201 was the maintained to the best of everybody's ability.

And can we please have a statement from your father (or other trustees) as to the non appearance of 'covered accommodation' that was assured?.....or is that too much to ask?

15. efiste2

efiste2 New Member

Im not alleging anything, I was only stating a fact
    as for YOUR words
    I am merely stating that if you want to, you should contact the people your trying to put down, so you can see for yourself what they found whilst they were working on lizzie. Never mentioned anything about Roy and his staff ( ROY and his staff are still held with high regard as far as my father is concerned), nor anything about mainline standards, as i know nothing about them so i cant comment on that. What i do know however is that My Father and the other Chaps I know on the Support Crew have the good of the engine as their NUMBER ONE priority, and not getting involved in a public slanging match is their wish. But what i wont stand by and watch people who have given up so much of their LIVES(as every other mainline crew does. and im sure you do as well ) get personally criticised on a forum for wanting the BEST for their loco. You have a very valid point Mr Riley , about the covered storage issue, and im sure its at the top of the agenda, and if my dad assured you of covered storage, he was only passing on what he himself had been assured.

16. Ian Riley

I see......so you are saying that the other CHC trustees have miss-lead you father, and the 6201 society and it's chairman with regard to the covered accommodation issue?

17. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Such is life.

I helped, (a small financial amount), get German 01.10 pacific, 012 100-4, (which legally ran up to 140 km/h, or 87 mph), get a new boiler over three years ago. Or was it four years?

But dreadful "petty" disputes" means it hasn't worked for most of those years since the re-boilering and probably won't work again.

For reasons I won't go into here.

So very sad.

But as I said.

Such is life. Not just in the UK. But in the wider Europe as well.

18. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    At the end of the day none of us "own" history.

We are all merely temporary stewards, and as is being seen on the news every day at the moment, lifetimes of experience and praiseworthy effort are being destroyed through plain stupidity affecting the judgement of people who have perhaps been allowed to be in the game too long.

It is a truism in many walks of life that people who have been in authority for decades suddenly seem to consider themselves incapable of being wrong and beyond judgement, and blunder on deaf to all around.

Seven years ago it was clearly said that at the end of this ticket that Lizzie would be offered to the NRM. I understand that they aren't interested - so a revised future plan had to be devised. CHC???

Last year there was reputed to be an offer of a future that would involve an overhaul and long term operational preservation - not CHC.

The path selected by the 6201 management is clear to all - two and a half years to stuffed and mounted - and outdoors under a sheet at that in present circumstances.

Am I right, or am I right? and how will the 6201 Society be judged a few years after the last fire is dropped in their self chosen isolation, when there was an alternative which has now been so comprehensively destroyed.

19. efiste2

efiste2 New Member

If you read back over the whole topic there is obviousley PERSONAL axes to grind on here, some of them may well be justified, but i am not in any position to comment on "some" of them, but the one i can comment on is totally unjustified and to be personally berated on a highly regarded well read public forum is somewhat childish and completely out of order. I really do have to wonder if some (not all, Mr Riley) of the posters on here know exactly what sacrifices support crews make to keep an engine out on the mainline, Irrespective of the managements actions both good or bad, the support crew of Lizzie (and all other mainline locomotives) have spent a good chunk of thier lives keeping her out there for everyone to see, so to be put down and personally slandered on here is out of order. Yes there are some very valid points about the covered storage of the engine, the future of the engine and the way the things have been managed, but for the moment Liz is out there doing what she was designed to do and doing it well for all to see, and that is the MAIN focus of the support team, including my Father................but once again to take cheap shots based on rumours and gossip from the Mainline grapevine at the chaps keeping her out there, is nothing but childish. =D>

20. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Efiste2, I think the correct word is 'libel' (the published) as against 'slander' (the spoken). Whether such claims of yours are justified, is, of course, another matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.