If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

70013 "Oliver Cromwell" visits Swanage Railway

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by buzby2, May 17, 2009.

1. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

For whatever reason 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" is no longer visiting Eastleigh 100 and the Swanage Railway has been asked to provide a home between railtours.
    It is 'scheduled' to arrive at Swanage late afternoon Saturday 23rd May and, provisionally, leave us on Friday 29th May ready for its tour on 30th to Bath and Bristol.
    Still subject to if's, but's, and maybe's.
    We are also seeking permission to use it sometime during that week on our own services. Watch this space.

2. basher

basher Member

Musician
    Fantastic!

Thats wonderful news for the Swanage lads and lasses. I popped down for the Saturday of the diesel gala, and had a wonderful day - great lineup, lovely weather, friendly staff and a frequent timetable: brilliant. Would be verytempted to pop down, if 70013 performs on a service train. The thought of it storming past Quarr Farm, barking away on the gradient does kinda tempt...

Is 40145 still coming in September, do you know?

Cheers.

3. isportcharlie

isportcharlie New Member

Great news and I hope it comes off for the Swanage Railway unlike the misfortune for the Mid Norfolk this weekend as it has been cancelled last minute due to timings/crewing. 70013 seems to be surrounded by logistics problems at the moment and not now visiting Eastleigh can probably be added to this list. Stabling locos between trips on preserved lines with mainline connections seems an ideal situation for all concerned.Make the most of this opportunity and enjoy. Hopefully no last minute ifs, buts and maybes for you guys!

4. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

ahh my fraviourte engine comes to my fraviourte line [-o< =D> looks like ill be down over half term \:D/

5. littlenobby

littlenobby Well-Known Member

student (6th form) Part time job at the Co-op!
    Excellent news! I'm rostered fireman during the week, what a treat it would be if it were to run :D

6. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Off topic - but, to answer a question......
    When last I enquired we had still not had a request from Pathfinder to see if we could fit a railtour to Swanage into our 40 minute interval service on the day they seem to want.
    So, whether 40145 will haul a railtour from Crewe to us is still an unknown so far as I'm aware.
    We're not chasing for business this year as there is a 6 railtour per year limit [certainly in the first year] and we've had four incoming already. I believe queries are being raised about a couple of outgoing tours in this first 12 month period - if so, we'll have no 'capacity' left until 2010.
    Anyone got any contacts with Pathfinder to see if their 'Provisional' listing was purely a 'kite flyer' to gauge likely response ?
    On topic - we're all looking forward to 70013's arrival. Hopefully, we'll get permission to use the loco on at least one day during it's sojourn. The RTC advert in the Bournemouth Echo has been changed so that it now mentions the 6th June as well 30th May for a Poole - Bristol tour. uksteam.info also had it down as two trips.
    Are we playing hosts between 30th May and 6th June too ?
    Anyone got any contacts with RTC as I can't find the 6th June trip on their website :-k

7. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    RTC were unable to confirm the loco for 6 June when I spoke to them. 70013 is booked for a Bristol-Shrewsbury trip on that date.

David

8. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It will be interesting to see what RTC have in mind. Neither 34067, 60019 nor 60163 have any booked work then, so who knows what might end up on this working.

9. daveb

daveb Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    60163 is working at the WSR on 6th June.

10. isportcharlie

isportcharlie New Member

Good to see 70013 arrive at Swanage after its trip from Norwich.
    Also great photos on the Swanage Railway Web site of it arriving. Also noticed,like last week on the Mid Norfolk Railway, not going to be used on Swanage service trains. Shame, and I can't help think that running the loco on preserved lines in between rail trips is too much of a risk. Difficult to explain to passengers on the following weekends mainline trip that the loco has failed whilst on service trains. Maybe someone " in the know" might be able to shed some light on this scenario. Or it could be a complete coincidence!

11. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

Think you're probably right - NRM will have worked out the risk of steaming the loco regardless of location and the original plan was to leave her cold for the week at Eastleigh. For whatever reasons, that didn't happen but the steaming plan was not changed, so she stays cold at Swanage instead.

12. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    There is now a repeat Poole-Bristol trip on Sat 6 June. Does this mean that 70013 will be returning to Swanage next week as well ?

David

13. isportcharlie

isportcharlie New Member

Could be as trip by 70013 from Bristol to Shrewsbury now cancelled. OC does Poole to Bristol and return. Just has to get to Westbury for 13th June.

14. isportcharlie

isportcharlie New Member

Confusing myself now as 70013 does a one way to Bristol (6th June RYTC)so should be well placed for Westbury the following weekend #-o

15. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

David,
    So far as I'm aware we've not been asked to provide another week's 'refuge' at Swanage.
    I presume it will remain attached to the coaches, after going to Bristol & return, and the whole consist towed from Sterte Road Sidings Poole to DBS Sidings at Eastleigh for a week's stay/turn on Depot loop/Prep on 5th June for diesel haulage back to Poole in readiness for the 6th June one way tour to Bristol.
    But that's only a guess on my part :smt120 :smt102

16. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    No I do not currently volunteer
    She was still there yesterday over the new pit. You can see her of sorts from the near by road bridge and the enbankment oppersite.

17. Beaker

Beaker Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Loco last night, if anybody is interested for a shot today, I know its a bit late but may be of use to some.

Anybody know the times for its departure, presumably friday ?

18. LN850

LN850 Member

try uksteam.info - its there

19. Beaker

Beaker Well-Known Member

Many thanks, completely forgot about checking there ](*,)

20. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

i think were turning it tommrow i have some pics i will put up when i can