If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

7027 Thornbury Castle

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by svrhunt, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    45407 and 44871 seem to wash their faces as does 62005 for it’s owners, West Coast don’t exactly strike me as a charity, so I’d guess that their steam fleet bring something in…
    Modern traction wise 20205 and 227 bring in some cash as do 50007, and 49 for their respective owners.

2. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

The answer, it seems, is that properly funded group(s) have arisen for the GWS to consider.

3. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    We don't know to what extent (if at all) IR subsidises his locos for his own enjoyment.
    62005 - possibly
    WCR - probably (although their engineering services may contribute)

I'll modify my initial statement - I think unless you are a forensic accountant and can disseminate the various income streams to loco owning bodies then it's probably fairly safe to say that very few, if any wash their faces!

1472, Matt37401 and 26D_M like this.
  4. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

"The right people" are a rare breed, and require circumstances to be right. I was born after the end of steam, and am nearly 50. The world my children will fledge into is very different from that I fledged into 30-odd years ago; a number of circumstances have changed as @Matt37401 and @MuzTrem have eloquently explained. That affects the availability of both time and money, just as both are more urgently required.

Get the right combination of people and resources, and amazing things can be done - look at what the A1SLT have achieved, or the sustained success of the MNLPS. But their success also highlights how rare that combination is, and a look at the alternative projects shows how possible it is to come unstuck, and how difficult it is to sustain success over many years.

My interest in 7027 has always been unlikely to convert into effort or money - it is simply not an artefact that intrinsically interests me. If a rescue is successful, I shall admire what is achieved; if unsuccessful, I shall not criticise those who did not succeed in doing so. And if the 4709 project is successful, once I've eaten my hat I shall [redacted for propriety]

johnofwessex, 21B and Matt37401 like this.
  5. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

maybe to either clarify or inflame

you have to remember the price for 7027 will differ between its value to 4709 , saving them the time and cost of a new boiler versus what a fund raising group are willing to pay for a partially restored engine

I would err that for what I have had indicated as an asking price you could possibly buy an engine in ticket. Any purchase is also complicated by as I understand, the sale being in two parcels . one has considerably more value together , than remaining after the parcel I understand is going to 4709

Given the timeframe and the clock that is ticking , 7027's best chance is either a wealthy benefactor comes forward or an existing group secures the engines immediate future with a plan to then launch a funding and volunteering drive to restore the engine .

There is still a scenario as well where 4709 never gets over the line leaving both in limbo . Having seen the frames recently even without the extension frames they are incredibly long and big

1472 likes this.
  6. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

No, it needs more than that; enough people to provide all the labour and money.

7. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Not to get the project started!

8. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Where do you get this from? The GWS statement clearly says its all available.

Spitfire likes this.
  9. MellishR

Any fool can start a project. Some have. The question is whether enough people could be found to complete the 7027 project.

10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

it is all available , just potentially in two parcels

11. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

7027 has been started a few times now. The fact that it remains unfinished is less than ideal in most peoples opinions, but it does mean that it still exists. Starting and lingering on to live another day is surely better than some of the more final outcomes.

ghost and Matt37401 like this.
  12. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Thing is this, its certainly not an no hoper, as things stand right now, If didcot sell, it has every chance of one day being finished, If Didcot decide to keep her, then the future is very uncertain, it can go one of two ways, the remains get shunted out of sight somewhere, the boiler gets used on 4709, and your left with a boiler less chassis, with no hope or, the 4709 project stalls, the leadership look again at 7027, and decide its restorable, and could be done with in a shorter time span. It's entirely possible that there might be a change of thought with in the leadership of the GWS, that decides, that 7027 gets overhauled, and 4709 is put on the back burner, until enough money is raised for a correct type of boiler for it.

13. Scrat

Scrat New Member

railway worker
    45407 & 44871 are owned by somebody who also happens to own/run a large steam locomotive engineering business... I'm sure this has its benefits!

WCR locos must bring something in as you say, but are once again owned by a wealthy individual who has also built up quite a large engineering resource at their depot....

14. Scrat

Scrat New Member

railway worker
    As somebody has already said on here, most existing groups have already got more than enough on their plates with what they do already. Perhaps it is time for all the moaners and groaners to do something about it theirselves rather than expecting others to do it for them....?

15. MellishR

One problem is uncertainty whether someone is already negotiating behind closed doors. If anyone is, a bare "watch this space" statement would be helpful.

The GWS people did agree to wait six months before proceeding: has that period ended?

ghost likes this.
  16. Jimc

If I were a conspiracy theorist I'd wonder about the motivation of the people who keep talking about uncertainty and so on and generally talking things down.

It doesn't matter whether or not there are already behind closed doors negotiations. The worst that can happen is that there are two groups, and one can reorganise and become a supporters group for the other. Whereas if everyone assumes there must be a secret group negotiating behind closed doors that they don't know about nothing happens.

That was September, so not yet, but soon.

17. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

That would only be an issue which non doers would concern themselves over.

18. Jimc

It all depends on what you call no hope. Physically, as the aviation people regularly demonstrate, given money and workforce you can restore any locomotive you like from the smoke box number plate. But if there is no significant chance of the money and workforce being available in the predictable future, and as the volunteer workforce is getting smaller than rather than larger, well..

35B likes this.
  19. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Possibly. But it also increases the chances of fragmentation of effort and funds, undermining the joint objectives of people and groups seeking the same broad outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Fragmentation is unlikely when it seems that nowt is happening!