If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

7027 Thornbury Castle

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by svrhunt, Jan 18, 2015.

1. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    There are people much more informed than I am to respond, but from what I have read previously I understand that there is definitely a bogie along with loads of other stuff that never left Crewe, in terms of the tender I am sure I saw photo's years back of a Collet tender along with a new Hawksworth tank (as apparently this was how Waterman remembered them which suggests that the photo's were probably in one of the many historic articles regarding Watermans plans for her)?

Edit - she had a Collet tender at Buckfastleigh in the 1990's - not my picture https://www.flickr.com/photos/duke_of_milan/5900016213

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Jamessquared likes this.
  2. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

The loco was an fairly early escapee from Barry, so i should imagine there are most of it in store somewhere in Crewe, or held as spares at Tysley , i believe it was stated by the new owner that most, if not all of the loco is availible either at tysley or Crewe .

3. Wadebridge

Wadebridge New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    In response to recent posts regarding the various other bits of the 'Thornbury Castle', I can confirm that there still remains two tender tanks (its original Collett one plus a new build (1990s Hawksworth), a tender chassis and the relevant wheel sets, its front bogie and wheels plus a container with a large number of parts that were removed when it was initially stripped down by Crewe Heritage Centre volunteers in the late 1990s. Hopefully these will soon be departing for its new home in the South West. This should then help with the tidying up of the Heritage Centre site generally in time for its 30th Anniversary in 2017.

GWR4707 likes this.
  4. D1039

D1039 Guest

I have just watched an item on BBC Points West of 7027 being unloaded and, more recently, inside the shed with volunteers with spanner and wire brush as background to an interview with the owner

Available on Catch Up later I would imagine

Patrick

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

I just watched the report on iplayer (search for BBC points West). It starts at around 17 minutes 10 seconds into the evening programme. If anyone wants to watch it you have to hurry though as the programme expires at 2pm tomorrow.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

6. GWR4707

Think this is it Points West, Evening News: 22/08/2016: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07nr6jt via @bbciplayer

Kinghambranch likes this.
  7. GWR4707

8. Western Hussar

Western Hussar New Member

For those wanting to see and find out more about Thornbury Castle, she wil be on display at the Crosville Bus and Steam Rally, Weston-super-Mare today Sunday 11 September between 10.00 and 16.30. She can be viewed during guided tours of the Crosville Bus depot. A free heritage bus service connects Weston sea front, railway station, the depot and the rally site at the Helicopter Museum. The new owner has this week collected the Collett tender and Hawksworth tender tank with a host of other spares. The weather is excellent here so I hope everyone has an enjoyable day. See: www.crosvillemotorservices.co.uk/enthusiasts/crosville-open-day.php

9. GWR4707

Kinghambranch likes this.
  10. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    I know that this is a complex 4-cylinder loco but, to my semi-trained eye, there appears to be most of what is required to bring this magnificent "Castle" back to life. Compared to some "Barry inmates" this one looks as if it will be relatively* straightforward!
    (*Relatively - an optimistic adjective used by railway enthusiasts to mentally prepare themselves to tackle projects which would otherwise seem impossible.)

11. Steamchest

Steamchest New Member

Coach driver
    Thornbury Castle's owner has just launched a new website devoted to the loco and its restoration. I must admit that I had quite a lot to do with it as well!

http://www.thornburycastle7027.co.uk/

Not much physical activity going on at the moment because most resources are being directed at 4936 'Kinlet Hall' and its overhaul. A Supporters' Club will be launched in the near future so that fundraising and volunteer efforts can be properly coordinated.

Check out the site and use the Contact Us page (or any other means, such as the 7027 Facebook page) to register your interest. We're so keen to get people involved at this stage that we're likely to bite your hand off. On second thoughts, we might want you to wield a spanner with it so perhaps a very warm welcome will have to suffice!

Attached Files:

12. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    The latest Steam Railway includes a fascinating interview with Jon Jones-Pratt, the new owner of 7027 and 4936. Well worth a read - it's an excellent article. His enthusiasm for his engines comes across very strongly. After reading it, I found myself very much hoping that one day, I'll be able to add 7027 to the list of Castles I have enjoyed a run behind on the main line.

13. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

No news on their website since the bogie went away for restoration in February. Does anyone have any information about progress? I hope restoration of this loco really does happen.

14. siquelme

siquelme Well-Known Member

Facebook has been doing some updates. The bogie was recently sandblasted and the locomotive looks to be moving to Tylsely soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Steamchest

Steamchest New Member

Coach driver
    There's no news because not much has happened except for some preparatory work on the bogie. All other efforts are being focussed on the overhaul of 4936.

16. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Only so much you can do in Weston before moving to a suitable engineering facility.

17. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

Coulda just left it there…

;-)

Simon

18. david1984

Well it's not in any danger of the sea coming crashing in anytime soon, You need a Taxi from the beach to the waters edge at Weston!

19. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Yes but the sea air is so corrosive... Well according to some of those on the LSWR T3 thread although I'm pleased to report LNER B12 8572 spent all of yesterday outside at Weybourne and by the time I left it was still in one piece... ;):p

BrightonBaltic and Aberdare like this.
  20. david1984

That can't be right, It should be looking like a Lancia Beta by now :D