If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

71000 DUKE OF GLOUCESTER ON THE V.S.O.E

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Mikem, Sep 30, 2010.

1. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Just found out that line between Wokingham & Reading was shut this morning for a bridge inspection after it was found a car had hit it recently. Not sure if this caused the delay as Bracknell is before Wokingham.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2081084_train_delays_after_car_hits_bridge

2. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Well from the formation of the train, I'm guessing something must have gone wrong at the Victoria end. I believe it was over 30 minutes down by the time it reached Clapham. Normally the diesel pulls the stock into Victoria with the steam loco on the back. In fact I can't figure out what they did with the move in and out of Victoria to have it running the way it was.

3. Steve from GWR

Here's my video from Bracknell and Crofton. Thanks to everyone who helped point me to the right place.

[video=youtube;9MzRBeUezqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MzRBeUezqw[/video]

4. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Perhaps Network Rail were nervous about letting the Duke out unassisted as we are in the middle of the leaf fall season last thing you want is a problem on a busy mainline dont expect the punters were that concerned about it.

5. 1802

1802 New Member

3 shots of 71000 + Skip around Bath today. Got lucky with the light for once......

Twerton.jpg Newton1.jpg Newton2.jpg

6. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Arrived at Theale about 8-9 mins down. Left on time, although it pulled up to the signal at the end of the loop, it was not let out until a Turbo left the station. This meant 71000 was fairly slow pulling away. A bit strange arrangement. As an aside, it looks like they are building a platform alongside the loop at Theale. Not sure what's going on there, might be doing away with the old up platform. Also thanks to the person who sent the text from Bracknell this morning, not pleasant news but let me know (& others) what was going on. As I said earlier I did not wait for it after the message.

7. thickmike

thickmike Member

Happily Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So does anybody know what did happen at Victoria this morning? Why the 67 just inside the Duke? I cannot come up with a scenario that has the 67 run round before 71000 backs on but I presume that's what happened - did 71000 have a problem coupling to the last pullman?

Answers on a postcard!!

Oh and when she passed Hawkeridge Jcn 35 down she didn't seem to be trying terribly hard to get it back - but perhaps I am mis-representing what was going on on the footplate?

Anyway if you ignored the lateness and that the sun went in - it still looked bloomin gorgeous.

Mike

8. Venturi

Venturi New Member

Was the 67 there for ETH purposes?

9. B1

B1 Member

Box doing most of the work up towards Savernake, after 71000 appeared to shut of near Crofton.

10. Steve from GWR

I'm glad it was useful. I was bloomin frozen by the time the train arrived at Amen Corner, it was very windy up on that bridge! So I wanted to advise others so they could go somewhere warm :) Still, at least the rain stopped!

11. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I dont think it was anything more complicated than the train being hauled into Victoria by a second 67, with another loco pulling the train out on its return.

Chris

12. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Why was the box tucked in behind the Duke's tender on the outward and return?
    Will this happen again when the Duke hauls the VSOE next month? <BJ>

13. Middle_C

Middle_C New Member

I think you will find that there is a problem with the Generator Car which is why the box was there. Certainly I would not hold your breath about the next few VSOE steam hauled
    trains not having one, I hope I am wrong.

14. KEYHAMTRAIN

KEYHAMTRAIN Member

15. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

The light was great yesterday and we got some good footage at Corston / Newton St. Loe, St. Annes Park and Keynsham:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idOQ_6CpSJQ

I was told the 67 was configured so it could assist because of the 'leaf fall' season. I beleive dBS like the assisting loco coupled inside the steam loco rather than the end of the train. I guess that is why the 67 was next to 71000 all day (only a guess on my part).

16. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

Oh dear,if that is correct it must be something new because the VSOE steam turns have always run with the box on the back. This is really bad news(shades of the hated "ETHEL"). It seems like the diesel assistance scenario is just getting worse and worse.

Its really a pretty bleak outlook isnt it,WCRC and DBS understandably terrified of punative delay penalties and going for the safe option of a box on the train,and the majority of the punters on the train (particularly on the VSOE) probably don't know or care about it,which rather leaves us steam enthusiasts up the creek.

17. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Didn't bother with this in the end as the weather was terrible when I got up yesterday. Also had "family problems" which added to the decision not to bother. Not so disappointed now after seeing the 67 was stuck behind the Duke. This also looks likely for next weeks run as it does get very slippery in the Surrey Hills.

18. thickmike

thickmike Member

Happily Retired
    Seems like we are back to the same old same old - those of us who like our steam unsullied will be disappointed - those of us who believe steam with a diesel stuck behind it is better than no steam at all will keep on turning out. If I was boss of DBS I know what I would do - my duty is to run the train to time as far as I am allowed and if that means a 67 on the drawbar so be it. And as you say it really is slippery around Dorking this time of year.
    Me - steam at any price - but I respect those who believe differently.

19. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The two class 67's were delayed en route from Wembley as they were used to assist a freight train that had stalled on North Pole bank. ( 6S94 Dollands Moor - Irvine.) They arrived at Stewarts Lane Depot about 110' late.
    One 67 worked the ECS into Victoria and the second 67 hauled 71000 to Victoria to minimise the delay. As it was the train left Victoria 54' late. Once running late preference is given to trains running on time and it took some minutes for Victoria Signalling Centre to get a path after TRTS was given.

I understand from a contact within DBS that the 67 did provide assistance, mainly on gradients to attempt to regain time.

Following on from another comment, delay attribution is a necesssary evil of the fragmented railway. It is the only way that an operator can be compensated for the failings of another operator or Network Rail. A search of the Network Rail web site will give quite a lot of detail if searched for Delay Attribution Guide.

Regards, Neil

20. malc

malc Part of the furniture

How much compensation do the VSOE passengers get from DBS as a result of the problems with 6S94?