If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

71000 DUKE OF GLOUCESTER ON THE V.S.O.E

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Mikem, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Almost certainly none.

The compensation money go round doesn't extend down to the end customers. All TOC's have refund schemes in place, but I don't know how that would work for charter operations. Just think what DBS and West Coast would end up paying out on some tours over the last year. ( WCRC are now passing on delay costs to heritage loco owners for delays directly attributable to the loco or its support crew.)

Also both 6S94 and VSOE are operated by DB Schenker, so they can't pay compenstaion to themselves.

Regards, Neil

2. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Exactly! It isn't a level playing field. If a charter train delays service trains, the charter operator, rightly, is expected to pay for the delays and ultimately some of that is passed on the the passengers on the delayed service trains, but delayed service trains seem to be given priority over on-time charter trains, resulting in the charters being delayed, but the charter passengers rarely get any compensation for this (other than through the goodwill of the tour promoter).

3. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Thanks for the interesting information about the delay to the trip.

So it would seem that a double header for the next trip is not a foregone conclusion, it was just expedient to do it here? We could have the usual box on the back formation? Clearly, at this time of year, it's not going to run steam-only!

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    But when a charter causes delays to other services, it's the operator who pays the penalties, not the passengers, so when it's the other way round, why should passengers expect to get anything?

5. Steve from GWR

I guess caution will prevail with the Network Rail planners until

1. Steam re-proves itself as reliable, given the not too bright record this year
    2. The recent bad coal problems are well in the past
    3. The leaf-fall season is over
    4. The trips are not thought of as over-ambitious for the loco and the load

6. evilswans

evilswans Member

come on lads, if you want steam on the mainline you've gotta expect them, for now at least, to run it with some sort of assistance. I dont blame the companies having a diesel on there as an insurance, you should just be greatful that we are aloud to still have these old girls running about on the network, think some of you need to step into the current day, they aint gonna go on forever are they, just enjoy it why we still can

7. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    agreed

8. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer
    Well said nothing 's forever.

9. Steve from GWR

I agree too. Seeing Bittern and The Duke this week out on the mainline was very enjoyable, a lot better than them not being out, and being able to ride behind The Earl on the Pride Of Swindon tour was just a real privilege on a brilliant day. That's the current reality, and far far better than them not being allowed to run.

10. Mikem

Mikem Member

Looking forward, 71000 will be out again Friday with the Pullmans.

Hope to get out there and enjoy the day whatever is attached as long

as the steam is on the front, but come the day anything last minute can happen.

Mike M. (70c)

11. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    What has any of this to do with the topic of this thread? And why are there two topics both mired in the same debate (the Bittern thread being the other). Shouldn't there be a separate thread for the 'box on the back' debate. Come to think of it, I'm sure there already is somewhere!

12. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Its stickied at the top of the page.

I really dont understand why its being suggested that possible diesel assistance should be made clearer in the tour description - why? Its a small group of enthusiasts who most bothered and they already know this is a risk. Its in the T&C's anyway.

...plus, if we're going to be cynical about the efforts taken to avoid assistance, surely by making it more clear in advance there will be less incentive to avoid it...!

Chris

13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Quite so. Much wasted time here talking about the same thing over and over again. It's not moved on - because I don't think it can - since I tried closure of this nonsense four months ago. (See the 'sticky' post as the first entry of this section.) However, far be for me to spoil other people's fun...if that's what it is.

14. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Please guys - carry on the "box" debate in the thread dedicated to the issue and leave this one for it's intended subject. Thanks.

15. Mikem

Mikem Member

When I opened this thread several weeks ago it was intended to discuss 71000

on the V.S.O.E. ever since people have been rattling on about diesels.

This is about steam on the mainline if they want to discuss diesels switch to a diesel thread.

Mike M. (70c)

16. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
  17. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Plenty of us are of a like mind and I understand the mods are discussing moving the non-relevant stuff to the correct EXISTING thread, which is pinned for all to see at the top of this very forum. Iain Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Simultaneous post - see above ^^^^^

18. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Hardly ever use Nat Pres these days. Just come back now to see what was happening on this weeks VSOE with 71000. Sad but inevitable in late Autumn weather. IMHO.

So, very unlikely I'll go out for it with such a high box risk. Instead I'll update my web pages for very enjoyable recent trips to the Bluebell and KESR. Very happy to photograph and ride behind the same class of steam locos I did the same with in the 1960s. Got a few shots of 32678 on Sunday, (not even in steam), to add as a postscript to my A1X web page Very pleased indeed with seeing the old girl again.

If what I want as true main line steam has ended, temporarily, or for good, then so be it. Plenty else around to keep me interested.

19. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

Due to a number of members suggesting that the diesel debate be moved to one thread this will be carried out over the next 12 hours, hopefully less.

If you find the thread is locked or posts that are relevant to the thread are moved please bear with the team. These will be reinstated as soon as possible and the threads unlocked for general discussion about the railtour.

Those members wishing to continue the debate regarding the use of diesels on steam tours can do so in this thread:-

http://railways.national-preservation.com/showthread.php/27457-Steam-Tours-And-Diesels

The moved posts will appear in this thread and the thread will be locked. This can be used for reference for those who have previously posted in the seperate tour threads:-

http://railways.national-preservation.com/showthread.php/11303-Diesels-on-steam-tours

Thank you for your patience.

20. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Getting back on topic the times are now up on UKsteam info site.