If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by buseng, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

I think the cost of the Moguls overhaul is down to the Swanage isn't it, rather than Bunchy. Certainly the mainline equipment will be if that's what they want.

2. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    True, but what impact will it have on the finances of the Railway, Has the MHR put aside funds for this eventuality ? i just hope that that another engine such as the black 5 does not have to be sold to pay for this deal,
    i'm assuming that all agreements are now water tight to miss such a condition was a situation that should have never happened whilst i welcome the news that 73096 is to now be owned by the railway, i just hope it doesnt come at a very high price for the railway long term . if it turns out that this purchase was a result of a mistake , and it in turn leaves the railway hamstrung for a few years , with problems over financing overhauls for other engines the railway owns .

3. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As nobody else has mentioned it...73096 arrived at the MHR yesterday morning (I only saw the tender arrive at about 08:30, but the loco arrived later) and is now at Ropley

4. martin1656

Did anyone get any photos of the engines return home? So what work if any has been done to it since it left some 3 years ago

5. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    I wasn't around to take a picture unfortunately as I had to do some emergency gardening near Basingstoke! The tender looked in good external condition though. There may be a picture on the Book of Face somewhere...I will probably be up at Ropley later (waiting in for a parcel currently):- I spoke to the guys working on 80150 today (I did a few hours grinding rust off her on Tuesday) who had just arrived from Ropley and they said 73096 was safe and sound there, so of it is visible I will have a look. The Urie group are having their AGM up there today, so one of them may be able to update us further.

6. martin1656

Already on facebook, someone is asking, when will it steam :rolleyes: its only just returned, at least give Andy chance to look at what is needed , i would expect at the very least a boiler overhaul

green five and S.A.C. Martin like this.
  7. martin1656

When the time comes to overhaul it, will this be the first engine that ran on treated water through out it's last ticket to come due for overhaul ?
    it will be interesting to see if the use of RO water treatment has had an impact on the state of the boiler, , there have been reports of boiler tubes being taken out from engines that have run on RO water to have been in as new condition after ten years use . the boiler was given a really intensive overhaul last time round,

8. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Popped in to Ropley today. 73096 is facing smoke box out of Alresford.

9. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Did it look as though there had been anything done to it at Southall?

10. martin1656

Theres a photo on facebook of her in the yard, looking at it it don't look like much has been done front steps are in primer, but other than that she looks to be exactly the same as when she left for Southall. conecting rods still off, so judging on what is visable i would say very little the front end has at some point turned black .

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  11. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

The MHR Ops Manager Richard Bentley posted the following picture to Facebook yesterday. 23592080_10155339128292933_3032683488998811971_o.jpg

ykin01, and60007, Gav106 and 6 others like this.
  12. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Welcome home Green Five!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

13. chessie1

chessie1 New Member

Retired
    Just had a good read through the latter stages of this thread...hilarious. I'd love to hear a few on here get started on Kennedy's assassination...

14. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Or the moon landings........

ragl likes this.
  15. martin1656

At least now she looks to have a brighter future, not stuck in limboland where people are fighting each other and nothing can be done and the only winners are the lawyers, has someone lost the smokebox door handle?
    So when does the black 5 come out of traffic, in an ideal word as that comes out, the green five would be wanted to replace her, like for like power wise, I'm assuming the standard will now be slotting in once the urie boiler and Swanages boilers are done who knows in 3 years, you could see 76017, 75079 and 73096 all in traffic . 75079 to replace 925 and 73096 to replace the black 5.

Hurricane and green five like this.
  16. martin1656

Wasnt it an KGB assassin in the pay of the the FBI? :p
    So the Railway now has the engine, that means that people will have to start digging into their collective pockets, to raise the funds that will needed to be found to refill the coppers and to finance the overhaul, without which the engine will not return to steam . expect the MHR to start an appeal for the engine shortly at the end of the day, it will be the members who will by their donations enable this engine to return to service, but at least now, you know its in safe hands, and that your donations are going towards the railway,re invested in the railway not to be paid out to a private owner.

Hampshire Unit, LC2 and green five like this.
  17. Andy Ford

Andy Ford New Member

18. Andy Ford

Andy Ford New Member

I would love to know how is going to do 73096 up.When you get around 5 people volunteering at weekends on the standard 4 and Urie 499 and 506

joe_issitt likes this.
  19. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Hopefully we will find out soon from the MHR once they have formulated their press release, on the way going forward for 73096. Until then. I am just happy that such a useful loco has rejoined the MHR fleet.

Shaggy and green five like this.
  20. martin1656

You are raising questions more to do with why you only have a small group of people who are working on 75079, questions that only those at the coal face can answer,
    i can remember when 73096 was being restored by the " bruf club" and they did not allow anyone outside of their own circle to actively work on the engine, at the time, myself and 3 others, two of which were apprentices on the big railway asked can we help were ignored, so instead we worked on 31625 rebushing the brake rigging , and doing a lot of the bottom end overhaul. whilst this was happening, there was weeks when no work was being done on 73096, in the end, we did become involved with 73096, but only when Frank got involved and it was given priority.
    Dave Sibley will no doubt decide on how many and who he needs on which engine, so hopefully when the policy is decided the best people will be put where they are best needed,