If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

76017 and 34105

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by green five, Mar 22, 2009.

1. 30850

30850 New Member

at least they are funally getting a new lease of life, and we get a new bullied so its all good.

2. dhic001

dhic001 Member

I'd like to see 1874 and 1806 go to the Bluebell. 1874 would complete the bluebell fleet of Maunsell moguls, and would complement the most extensive collection of Maunsell designs in one place. 1806 I would love to see rebuilt as a River class tank, its original configuration. There are two good reasons for this, one is to demonstrate the Express Tank principle, which is largely lacking in preservation, and two it would demonstrate Maunsell's early design and styling ideas. On the Bluebell it would complement the rest of the Maunsell fleet, as well as filling a gap in the Southern region tank engine fleet.

31625 can either stay on the Mid Hants, or go to Swanage, either would be appropriate homes for it, particularly as it can only correctly carry BR black, and neither line would be likely to want to paint it any other colours.

Daniel

3. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

THanks for letting the MHR keep 31625 Daniel. :) <good natured leg pull alert on> though I notice you don't have any LN or H15 class examples at the Bluebell either <good natured leg pull off>

Seriously I do not think anyone would want to rebuild the sole remaining N class as a River tank when you remember why they were rebuilt as moguls in the first place (they were unstable and derailed frequently resulting in a fatal accident after which the entire River class were withdrawn) The N class was a remarkably successful engine especially in the South West but the entire class of 70 engines performed superbly thoughout their lives wherever they were based. We should be pleased we have a single example left, not destroy it in some misguided experiment!
    Are you SURE the Bluebell is going to be the best place for these engines?

4. dhic001

dhic001 Member

You are damn right i wouldn't want the N converted to a River Class tank, 1874 should always remain as an N. However, as I said, 1806 should be rebuilt as a River, after all, thats how it was built, as No 806 River Torridge.

The rebuilding of the Rivers into U class locomotives was a rash exercise to prevent any further adverse publicity. If you read the history correctly, the Rivers were not unstable, but weren't suited to the rough south eastern track. Infact, the locomotives performed very well elsewhere in the system, but their home was on track that needed serious work, hence the accidents.

The lack of H15 or Lord Nelson class locos on the Bluebell is regrettable, but apart from those two and the N, the Maunsell collection is most complete on the Bluebell. And yes, I am SURE its the best place for the engines! They won't turn a unique locomotive into James the Red Engine.

Daniel

5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    LMS 2500, NCC 4, all those Standard 4 tanks? (OK so they got an 'MT' rating but they were used on express services at times)
    Think there may be a wire crossed somewhere, the N's were never River class tanks, the rebuilt Rivers became U class.

6. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    It,s a shame that the N cannot be repainted into a more suitable livery, but I suppose that time and expense ae against this.

Noted about the U and the N going to the Bluebell as long as they are sold to the Bluebell, otherwise I am not sure thhow the involvement would be taken should JB still reatain ownership.

Regards
    Chris

7. dhic001

dhic001 Member

I should have said pre-nationalisation express tanks. There are NO southern express tanks preserved, and yet a good many were built for use in the region, especially pre-grouping.
    Daniel

8. dhic001

dhic001 Member

As the proposition is pure fantasy at this stage, such details are irrelevant. The Bluebell may not be interested in the locomtives anyway. JB may want them elsehwere, or they may get to stay at the Mid Hants. I'm just throwing my ideal scenario into the mix.
    Daniel

9. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

LMS 2500 was pre-nationalisation but you do have a good point about Southern express tank loco's.

10. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Thank you Daniel,you have a good point. As I stated at the beginning this is pure speculation and exploring the possibilitis that might happen. a good thread is this if we keep it that way.

Regards
    Chris

11. dhic001

dhic001 Member

No problem Chris. At least my fantasy is a bit different from the norm, am I the only one wanting to see a real River tank?
    Daniel

12. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Oops -of course you are right. And to think I've fired both 874 and 806 regularly in the past too. Well the least I can do is come back here and accept the well deserved scorn of fellow posters raining down on me
    Not sure I accept the explanation of only blaming the track for the River's poor handling as a tank engine though - all locos had to run on the same track so if one class failed to cope or coped worse than other classes then it still points to an inferior or an inflexible design characteristic. I presume the poor handling of the Rivers applied to running bunker first, since I'm guessing the same pony truck was in use before and after rebuilding? (Sits back and waits to be shot down in flames again!).
    If they had to go anywhere I'd hope it was to the Bluebell or Swanage railways.

13. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Just to add , JB still has not sold 249 Squadron yet either, can anyone remember how much it was up for sale for?

Regards
    Chris

14. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

34007: that was some time ago though who knows one day in the future i dare say these will end up being sold then but as jb couldnt sell 249 squadron then how much chance will he have of selling 5 engines in 2014 all except 1 will need very expensive repairs i think he might very well end up with being stuck with these engines and nowhere that will want them except for to accept whatever agreement the mid hants decides to offer , as a side note does the ban on him being on midhants property still stand do you think it might be the time to recind the ban? in exchange for him agreeing to keep the locos on the mid hants?

15. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    You know Martin , that is not a bad idea. This is another good reason for me starting this speculation, throwing ideas around to see what we come up with.

Without going into a character assasination, (and that would be most unfair and illegal on a forum like this) I think it would be likely that other Railways would be reluctant to have JB AND his loco,s given the reputation he has been given by the press and others, so his options might be limited. That said though the attitude towards JB might have changed by 2014, and who knows what the economy will be like then?.

Just my opinion.

Regards
    Chris.

16. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

He has a ban? :-k (PM me if you'd rather not post it...)

17. peter

peter New Member

Fellows, hope you dont mind me butting in but in my opinion when you are a volunteer working on a railway posting on a forum such as this, you become an ambassador for your own line. I have no contact with any preserved line other than through this forum and have not visited the Mid Hants, purely because the impression I get of the line is that it is full of grumpy old men that like stirring and youngsters that are all a little big for there boots, with even a thread with good news of 2 locos being overhauled descending into name calling .

Maybe its just me being sensitive, but it cant be a good advert for your line?

18. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    My dear Peter, nobody is stirring as you put and yes the news that 2 more loco,s are coming back into the fold is good news.

There are two seperate issues here , one is the good news and the other is taking it one step further and discussing what the future holds for the JB, Loco,s that all, and if you were a member and volunteer you would be just as passionate about it too.

Of course sometimes people get carried away and make mistakes , (don,t we all), but we have the movement at heart.

I suggest that you visit us and see for yourself, I guarentee that you would come away with a different impression than the one you have now. No offence to you but the other alternative is not to look at the thread on this forum at all.

Best regards
    Chris

19. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

Peter,

"...the impression I get of the line is that it is full of grumpy old men that like stirring and youngsters that are all a little big for there boots, with even a thread with good news of 2 locos being overhauled descending into name calling.............."

Does that remind you of somewhere else that we both know? :-#

I have always had a warm welcome at the MHR and look forward to both engines being returned to service.

Here are a couple of pictures to remind us of how things were, but don't ask me how long ago it was!

[attachment=1:1vab83ym]34105f.jpg[/attachment:1vab83ym][attachment=0:1vab83ym]76017f.jpg[/attachment:1vab83ym]

20. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Great to see a photo from the old days without the lamp posts that are dotted around the yard today.
    =D> =D> =D> =D>