If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

82045 The way ahead?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Kinghambranch, May 24, 2008.

1. minty4371

minty4371 New Member

Unemployed
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thank you. Very good read as always.

2. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

Excellent, I visited the frames the other week and it looked very nice indeed. I had no idea it was being built in such a prominent and public position in the yard which really must help with the publicity. It would be nice though if the guys could work under cover this coming winter. Are there any plans to move it ?

3. 82045MS

82045MS Member

Membership Sec. 82045 Loco Trust
    Are there any plans to move it ?[/quote]

Hello Pesmo, we have been wishing for a place in doors for some time but sadly there are no immediate prospects. The shed is just too full at Bridgnorth. However, the other obstacle to moving the chassis will be removed in the not too distant future when our wheels are ready and 82045 becomes a rolling chassis (mid 2014 we anticipate), then we can roll her inside just as soon as space is available. :)

4. bristolian

bristolian Member

Evening everyone,

It would appear that there might be a Standard 3 mogul one day too :- http://77021.webs.com

5. 3855

3855 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    is this website some sort of joke?

6. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Well it could be of course, given the proliferation of websites and facebook pages on the "lets build my favourite model locomotive in full size" theme, but I understand that a number of sensible railway people (I don't assume I'm one of them!) have suggested in the past that a new class 77xxx could be built given the commonality of parts already available that have been made for existing BR Standard locos and of course, 82045 is "just" the tank engine version of a 77xxx. So the expertise and much of the source drawings, patterns etc already exist; its merely down to that small embarrassing matter of money(!)

In my opinion, a new Class 77xxx would be far more useful for today's heritage scene than some other new builds mooted and, although only 20 were built and all were based in the Scottish & NE Regions (one found its way to Guildford Shed for some reason) a 77xxx would not look out of place anywhere. I would certainly support such a scheme if there was enough interest but my caveat would be that the same team building 82045 would be the only choice to build a 77xxx. Of course, as we speak, major progress is being made on those BR Standard designs that didn't survive, with renewed impetus now being made on the 72xxx "Clan" "Hengist" and 82045 and 84030 at their respective sites. This now leaves us with just one extinct member of the BR Standard steam loco family - its just got to be done hasn't it?!

7. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    No!!!

8. Lplus

Lplus Well-Known Member

Hmmm, they were ugly little devils, but there's no doubting one would be useful. 77014 apparently pulled the last steam hauled train on SR. Is someone going to start a thread for this?

9. bristolian

bristolian Member

Oh, ok, I'll start the thread... ;).

10. gios

gios Member

Meanwhile back on the 82045 thread. I am sure all Trust members will wish the 77xxx proposed project the best of luck.

I would suggest what will be needed early on in this proposed project is a competent and professional group of people to manage the time consuming organization - membership, funding, website, publicity, etc. etc. . Once this is in place and up and running, there is the obvious requirement for broad based engineering expertise and quality control. 82045 is fortunate to have all these qualities in abundance. A useful location for the build, with workshop, shed and storage facilities. Not recommended for construction from the garden shed ! One additional ingredient, that is somewhat more difficult to define, will be that a spirit of determination, co-operation, vision, planning and understanding exists between the managers, engineers and the all important supporters. One must always remember the members, without their support progress would be impossible.

All sounds straight forward, but in reality it is a very difficult and complex combination to put in place.

82045 is the success that it clearly is, because they meet all the above requirements.

I look forward to seeing 82045s wheeling take place in 2014.

11. Tony Graham

Tony Graham New Member

Railway Man

Hello, I assure you that website is NO joke.

12. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

I would love to be able to view their website but my security package denies me access. Best of luck to them though. Following along from 82045 should streamline the process just through lessons learned.

13. Tony Graham

Tony Graham New Member

Railway Man

Hi there

The security at work on my computer also does the same.

14. gios

gios Member

However, the other obstacle to moving the chassis will be removed in the not too distant future when our wheels are ready and 82045 becomes a rolling chassis (mid 2014 we anticipate), then we can roll her inside just as soon as space is available. :)

An interesting comment, which prompts the obvious question, is there any information on when the driving wheels for 82045 are likely to be cast ?

15. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Will the driving wheels be sent to south devon to be made into sets? Have you had you axle boxes made yet? Or is this part of the wheelset fundraising?

Kind regards gavin

16. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Pictures appeared on facebook an hour ago of the first driving wheel for 82045. 998778_408440269267397_1358377074_n.jpeg

Tony Graham likes this.
  17. gios

gios Member

I see my question is already dated ! Picture on 82045 Facebook page shows the first casting cooling down.

18. 82045MS

82045MS Member

Membership Sec. 82045 Loco Trust
    Beat me to it Gav. I add that we are grateful to Nick Norton at The Boro Foundry for the image.

`Will the driving wheels be sent to south devon to be made into sets? Have you had you axle boxes made yet? Or is this part of the wheelset fundraising? `

Yes the wheels will be going to South Devon and axle boxes are cast.

:)

19. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Excellent progress, well done again folks!

20. minty4371

minty4371 New Member

Unemployed
    Question. How are the balance weights attached? Is it just a few bolts with a retaining plate on the back, or something else?
    Thank you in advance for any reply.