If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

82045 The way ahead?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Kinghambranch, May 24, 2008.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    They worked well enough but the condensers and associated fans were mostly removed hence the later '25NC' classification. I presume it was down to maintenance costs?
    Info

2. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The class 25s were a compleat success. The 25NCs were built concurrently for areas with greater precipitation. Most condensers were later converted to NCs as the very dry sections of SAR they were designed for were deiselised and greater simplicity and economy was needed with unskilled fitters.

3. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

New news update on the 82045 site:
    http://www.82045.org.uk/82045_sept08.html
    Just thought i should highlight it since this is a exciting new build, but then all new builds are exciting.

I have no idea what this means for the group which oddly enough i am a member of but hopefully it will be for the best.

4. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Maybe something to do with Charitable status and fund raising?

Have the frames of 82045 returned from the West Midlands as yet, for that "lick o' paint" before the weather turns?

5. boldford

boldford Member

Drilling is at last under way on the frame plates, and we are anticipating their return from the Boro' Foundry within the next few weeks. There will be an update on this information as soon as we have a definite date.

We have received quotations from two firms in respect of castings for the horn ties, pony truck centres and buffer beam gussets. . . . . . the patterns for the above components were delivered . . . . . to the company's Rotherham premises on 8th November.

We now look forward to getting on with 82045's frame assembly: funds are in hand to move on with this, and 2009 should show considerable progress on the new loco. . .

http://www.82045.org.uk/82045_nov08.html

6. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Excellent news, thanks for the update!

7. boldford

boldford Member

8. 37422 Cardiff Canton

37422 Cardiff Canton Member

Train Guard
    After a very quick read of the website i appears that work on this project is coming on nicely, but the major challenge will be the boiler, any ideas how much this will cost?

Also wouldnt it be better and show some real intent, to fund/contruct the boiler first? Ok not the point of steam test and certification but at least to a point were the main cost is out of the way?

Good Luck anyway.

37422 Cardiff Canton.

9. Kinghambranch

Retired
    37422 Cardiff Canton suggests that the boiler be built first. As its normally the most expensive item then there is certainly some argument for that as it shows I guess that the 82045 Group means business (which they do anyway). However, another approach, which I assume is the one being taken, is to build up other tangible items of the new locomotive such as the frames and wheels, followed I guess by the tanks, cab and bunker, which will give potential financial backers an idea of what their money is building. I think 60163 Tornado has now shown us that anything is possible and, whilst the 2 locomotives (quite rightly) are targeting 2 different areas of 21st Century Steam, new builds are not a pipe dream. 82045 will fill a niche as well as resurrecting a lost class and, what's even better, its boiler will be essentially that of a GWR Prairie and I wonder how many new boilers of that type we will need in the next 20, 30, 40 years? Hopefully more than the odd one or two. Answer is simple - give money and skills to 82045 right now!

10. 37422 Cardiff Canton

37422 Cardiff Canton Member

Train Guard
    From what i can gather this type of locomotive would very useful to alot of heritage lines.

So is there a case of a batch build?

As for boilers, again could there be a batch of boilers built to the most common demanded types?

If funding was forthcoming of course.

37422 Cardiff Canton.

11. boldford

boldford Member

We would be delighted to double up on the orders we have placed so far

12. boldford

boldford Member

13. Kinghambranch

Retired
    Awesome! Well done to you and a good article in the local paper too. The way ahead has really commenced! I look forward to seeing it coming together and will do my best to exhort my colleagues to put some money in!

14. 46118

15. boldford

boldford Member

I'll pray for the weather if you'll provide the manpower.

16. 46118

Given the weather forecast from tomorrow onwards I think a quick tarpaulin might be the best bet Brian. The weekend in particular looks a washout.

Seriously I would have come over from Hereford and helped paint them today, but it is too late now. It's been a lovely day here, just mowed the lawn.

17. it needs to be out with the emery paper first!

18. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    My advice is coat them in oil then put a taupalin on top

When riveting the frames together there has to be a metal to metal contact i.e no paint

It is also handy when working on them not to have them painted because it will all be scratched adding more work to the paint job

We intend to wheel 6880s frames out when finished so they can be shotblasted then etched primed a lot easier then doing it by hand

19. boldford

boldford Member

Exactly the advice we received from another source that we followed; but thank you anyway.

20. boldford

boldford Member