If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

850 Lord Nelson

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 73129, Oct 25, 2007.

1. 8-10 Brass Cleaner

8-10 Brass Cleaner Member

Bridges
    it is rather odd looking, and as for the colour.....

But you do have a plan, 850, being owned by the NRM and they being a publicly funded museum, if someone asked, they according to the 2000 Freedom of Information Act, would have to reply with the answer within 20 working days. Now where is my writing paper...........

2. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

If you don't mind my asking why is it you feel so desperate to know what the problem with the engine is, even though you seemingly aren't fond of her?

3. 8-10 Brass Cleaner

Bridges
    Having had a hand in repairing the odd locomotive type boiler I have an interest in boiler construction, repair and modes of failiure. Quite simple.

All I'm interested in is what is physically wrong with the boiler, not the why (I can work that out for myself) and who dunnit ('cos I don't care).

My guess the veil of secrecy is to do with the 'blame game', certainly one member has alluded to that fact allready.

4. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

The soultion is why not build another boiler for her but will nrm go down this road I think not.
    #-o #-o #-o #-o

5. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

Why would you go and build a new boiler, when you have just spent vast sums repairing the current one?

6. 8-10 Brass Cleaner

Bridges
    No need, there is nothing wrong with the current one

7. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Which is what the NRM should have done in the first place, built a new one which would have cost far less than repairing the old one.

As someone has said already, there is a "Blame" culture here.

Regards
    Chris

8. Kerosene Castle

How much was spent repairing the old one? I know they went to the lottery a couple of times, but I can't remember the figures.

9. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Which is what the NRM should have done in the first place, built a new one which would have cost far less than repairing the old one.

Regards
    Chris[/quote:gdar58r4]
    Well said that man
    someone with a bit of good old common sense.

10. Timothy Hackworth Jr

Timothy Hackworth Jr Member

I love the way this forum proclaims "what the NRM should have done". I'm getting tired of it.

They haven't and the engine isn't in danger of getting scrapped or stuffed, just enjoy what we've got for heavens sake!

The NRM as I ahve said here MANY times is a MUSEUM not a loco hire facility. Museums do things differetnly to preserved railways although to the outsider they look the same - ie. have preserved the same stuff. You wouldn't tell the Mary Rose people to go and throw it away and make a new one - and before anyone says "that's different" - it ain't. Go and look Museum up in the dictionary and then come back. And don't tell me the NRM are anti operation either - look at Cromwell, Scotsman, Super D, 04, Truro, Rocket, Eustace Forth, 30587, T9 coming on line and 4771 bowing out - and on the subject of the latter, no-one from the NRM has said that it will never steam again, but instead look at what we've got now to enjoy or coming on line soon from them and stop moaning! Time for bed and my medicine...

Rant over! :smt003

11. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

I agree with that, it all makes sense... call me a rivet counter, (because I am one) but if the original boiler can be restored, I say restore it...

12. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I agree also. The NRM have try try and preseve the traditional ways of doing thinsg and orignal artifacts, and that an end to it.

If a new boiler was made it wouldn't been covered by the Heritage Lottery who don't like new things being built. Didcot fell fowl of that one when, they wanted money to build a new power boige for the railmotor.

13. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Then maybe they should duck (boom boom)

14. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    HLF funded the new boiler for Sir Berkeley. It depends on circumstances.

15. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    I disagree, from an economic and engineering point of view it would hve been better to have a new boiler, after all who would know the difference?.

Granted hindsight is a wonderfull thing , but I do think the purists are living in dreamland, it,s inevitable that 850 will have a new boiler sooner or later.

Regards
    Chris

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Engineering theory says that a new boiler for 850 was the right decision but sadly other factors come into consequence when dealing with the HLF and the NRM.

I can only assume that the custodians/owners approached the HLF for funding because there were no other alternatives available to restore the locomotive to running condition. Presumably had the custodians been able to raise the money on their own they (in co-operation) with the NRM would have been able to decide whether or not a new boiler would have been appropriate to the locomotive.

However when you involve the HLF you are tieing yourself to certain committments and conditions about the locomotive's heritage, conservation and preservation. Relying on HLF money is a dangerous game for any piece of railway heritage that requires extensive restoration as you may find that you committ yourself to the restoration of components that you may have discarded in another scenario (ie a life expired boiler that has to be extensively rebuilt).

I feel sorry for the custodians and the owners that the hard work that they have put in has not come off (so far) with the locomotive but perhaps it is a lesson to those who think that the HLF is the saving grace of every locomotive restoration.

17. Kerosene Castle

No, that isn't true. The original HLF application was rejected due to the length of the projected timescale for the project. The latest application didn't even include the power bogie in its costs.

18. Silverlink60014

Silverlink60014 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I disagree, from an economic and engineering point of view it would hve been better to have a new boiler, after all who would know the difference?.

Granted hindsight is a wonderfull thing , but I do think the purists are living in dreamland, it,s inevitable that 850 will have a new boiler sooner or later.

Regards
    Chris[/quote:3o8hjqew]

The problem that 850 has could well happen on a new boiler as has been already stated. just because an engine has a new boiler doesn't end the problems.

For all we know Tornado may suffer similar problems and then people can't say, if it had a new boiler it wouldn't of happened.

19. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    The problem that 850 has could well happen on a new boiler as has been already stated. just because an engine has a new boiler doesn't end the problems.

For all we know Tornado may suffer similar problems and then people can't say, if it had a new boiler it wouldn't of happened.[/quote:26dirt7u]

That we will find out when "Tornado" steams on the main line.

Regards
    Chris

20. cct man

CONSTRUCTION

For all we know Tornado may suffer similar problems and then people can't say, if it had a new boiler it wouldn't of happened.[/quote:1nw9kkv1]

That we will find out when "Tornado" steams on the main line.

Regards
    Chris