If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

89001 Avocet

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by dublo6231, Mar 30, 2012.

1. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi all,

I've just been looking through some of my old pics and have come across one that i'd completely forgotten i'd taken of this magnificent machine. Does anybody know its current location? Are there any plans in which to return it the the mainline or any reason that it can't?
    Were there any electrified routes that it could not run on due to clearance issues?
    From memory its permitted max speed was 125mph - if returned to the mainline would it be allowed to run at these speeds today?
    Are there any ex or current drivers out there who remember driving this beastie willing to share any memories amusing/incidents/failures and was she much different to drive than say a Class 91?

thanks for any replies.

2. markb846

markb846 New Member

The 89 is at barrow Hill under the care of the ACLG. They are looking into the possibility of returning it to working order. The main problem is the none standard electronics. This problem dogged the machine through out its working life.
    I understand they are looking into using modern electronic equipment to replace the defective units.

3. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

Found a couple of photos I thought you might find interesting. First two were taken on a tour of Crewe works, I think when I was 15 or so, probably 1986… can't remember when or where the last one was; I'm guessing the following year, outside Bounds Green [NB actually, think it's Hornsey] or Willesden, but not really sure.

Cheers,
    Simon

Scan 12.jpg Scan 13.jpg Scan 12_2.jpg

4. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Yep, last one is Hornsey. It was stored there for a while. Interesting shots of it being built as well. I did a week's work experience at Bounds Green when I was at school, must've been about 1998, and one of the things I did was change an AWS cable on 89001. Be good to see it running again.

5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Didn't GNER use it for a while? In fact it was painted in the blue livery for a while IIRC. Certainly it's working spell was short lived and it can't be in that bad a condition as a result.

6. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Hi all, Although I only saw her twice, the second time was defintely in the GNER Blue, the trouble was that was now getting on for 12-14 years ago when it surprised me at Peterborough....I was only there to visit the Passport office and thought i'd take of advantage of the fact that I was in the area for an hours worth of spotting and was delighted to see this magnificent machine, in fact if memory serves me correctly I think I saw 3 Class 60's on stone trains and the test channel tunnel train on the Flying Scotsman service. Though my memory may be playing tricks on me...eeek!

7. Seraphim

Seraphim New Member

Engineer
    As the photos suggest, it was delivered new in InterCity "Stripes" livery, and then gained GNER blue after its first reinstatement. If memory serves, it hauled the first electric hauled passenger train on the ECML - a charter set; the train swapped electric for an A4 (Mallard??) at Doncaster. What finally killed the thing was a blown power pack choke, which are big money. It's first withdrawal was due to someone pressure washing the bogies - and the motors. Within Brush, it was sometimes referred to as "AvaReset" - anyone involved with AC traction will know why! What I cannot recall is whether it actually did run at 125mph; BR Civils have always had a major aversion to high speed six axle bogies. I suspect it may have been limited to 110mph.

8. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    A couple of pics of 89001 securely fenced off at the Brush Works open day, 4th October 1986.

89001_@_Brush_Works_04.10.1986_0.jpg 89001_@_Brush_Works_04.10.1986_20.jpg

9. D1039

D1039 Guest

Yes, 125mph

I'm 99% certain that what I read at the time was that it was/is the only 3 axle 125mph approved bogie. When GM (as was) was looking to develop a 125mph engine for EWS (which became the 67) there was an enquiry to Brush to use the design under a class 66, but the price was too high. Hence the redesign for the class 67 to get the weight down to 90t on four axles

Patrick

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Asaik the 89 has carried 3 liveries... Old IC, new IC and GNER.