If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Wansfordman, Jun 29, 2009.

1. DismalChips

DismalChips Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It may only be a tin of paint, but it's one tin of paint they don't have to find the money for.

2. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    All adds up, a few years ago I helped undercoat and paint one of D1015's bogies before it went mainline, not the most glamourous or technical of jobs but as a 14 year old that was what I could contribute.

MikeParkin65, Sawdust and 2392 like this.
  3. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Oh dear, well that escalated quickly. No offence was meant whatsoever and I think if you read what I wrote (rather than what you think I wrote) that should be clear enough.

90775 is a nice loco and I wish the owners well with their fundraising. Maybe they have 500 members each giving £2 a month and then it's worth doing, I don't know. Personally, I'd rather someone gave 2 hours a month which would be worth far more to most railway projects, but I obviously spoke out of turn and I shouldn't have, so lets leave it at that.

4. joe_issitt

joe_issitt New Member

Ex-Boiler Maker
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    90775 has still got a little while till she's running regularly in service. However it is getting closer. It'll be nice to add it to the home fleet with the 9F, B12 and Y14.

5. @pmh_74 that's water under the bridge now, oh and re-discovered my membership card said I joined on the 04/11/13 that two tins of paint now ha ha ha ;) Anyway having a look through Mr David Heys wonderful website of 'Steam diesel photo collection' I stumbled across a photo of 'Jubilee' No 45647 with the name 'Sturdee'. All said and done the name 'St Harry Cator VC' would be a nice little touch for 90775, but what do others think?

Ross,

6. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

My vote would be for 'Sgt Harry Cator VC'. I feel like I have a say in this as I have also contributed towards a tin of paint for this locomotive...

Once the WD is complete, will this be the last of the major overhauls for the NNR home fleet until the B12 in 2022? Must put the NNR on firm footing in the steam motive power department for the next few years.

7. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I'd say that it isn't a healthy position to have a gap in the overhaul queue - ideally, they probably need another loco on the go to keep the skills honed, although they would have to find one - ideally a class 4 or whereabouts tender engine for the Cromer services, although where it would come from is anyone's guess!

8. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

As far as keeping their skills honed, there seems to be a number of contracts from other railways now the new engineering facilities at Weybourne are complete.

Jointline likes this.
  9. Jointline

Jointline New Member

P1190789.JPG A large number of NNR shareholders and M&GN Society members visited the workshops and sheds on Members Day and will have gained a very good idea of what is going on at Weybourne. Although visitors were allowed to visit fully the NNR Engineering section, we were told that no photographs were allowed in one part.The visit was extremely interesting including seeing the WD with the boiler mounted, the many C&W projects currently in hand, and the new machine shop and boiler shop.With the steam and diesel fleet to maintain plus contract work, it seems there will always be plenty to do at Weybourne. Attached is a photo of "Black Prince" outside in the yard on Members Day. View attachment 23223

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    Ross Mckenzie likes this.
  10. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Seems rather odd, I doubt the NNR are holding any great secrets in their workshop!

The 9F looks good!

Keith

11. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Has the source of potential parts for dubdees and 8f's in Greece/ Turkey etc now dried up ?

12. damianrhysmoore

damianrhysmoore Well-Known Member

Osteopath
    I was told it was out of respect for the owners of the boilers as they would rather that communication of progress was through official channels not seeing a picture on some random site on the internet.

I also asked about the gap in the home fleet overhauls and was told that a certain A1A A1A was in desperate need of a bodywork overhaul and resources were likely to be directed at that. It might be a good time to look for another loco...or it might be that Black Prince is on the same cycle as one of the locos which has been part of the home fleet for longer, in which case, the gap will disappear in future.

Jointline likes this.
  13. Jointline

Jointline New Member

The photograph ban in certain parts of NNR Engineering is not new and is in place out of respect for locomotive owners who may have placed work with the company and in some cases commercial confidence has to be considered. On a previous Member's Day, contract work was being carried out for at least three other heritage railways at Weybourne, one of the jobs being work on the boiler of a well known steam locomotive. The attached photograph shows one of the Steam Gala guests on Members Day at Weybourne. P1190763.JPG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  14. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    It's nice to see a fully operational home steam fleet on the cards for the very first time in the railway's history. What a great position to be in!

The "spare" (ha ha!!) workshop space will be welcomed by the diesel fleet which has had a fraction of the time and attention that the steam has had, there being a very poorly Class 25 and a very rotten Class 31 both crying for attention.

However there are willing hands who understandably want to work on heavy steam projects, hopefully they will be content on keeping the running locos reliable and maybe even introducing improvements from the "wouldn't it be nice" list of jobs. Needless to say when it comes to the paid staff, I suspect there is more than enough work on the running fleet to keep them happy. Am I right Joe Issitt?!? :)

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

15. joe_issitt

joe_issitt New Member

Ex-Boiler Maker
    You're not wrong Chris! There's always work to be done on these engines to make them more reliable and also keep them on top form.

16. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Not everyone is able to make a physical contribution so a financial contribution is their way of helping out. To coin a well known phrase, every little helps.

ghost likes this.
  17. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

True enough, however "physical" can take many forms - a lot of railways for example have volunteers who stuff newsletters into envelopes and that sort of thing, it doesn't necessarily even mean leaving your sofa. And if you think about the cost of paying someone for that sort of work - just 20 minutes of minimum wage type activity and you've already contributed £2 to the cause.

Kinghambranch likes this.
  18. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Anyone know when 90775 is due to leave the paintshop? And has there been a decision on the naming of the loco?

19. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    I would expect it to leave mid to late April.

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

Hicks19862 likes this.
  20. Hicks19862

Hicks19862 Member

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing the WD stepping out of the shadows and getting back in to service on the NNR.