If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

92 Squadron, sold?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by cct man, Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Columbine

Columbine Member

Actually the '92 Sqdn' website is a good deal more ambiguous than 'Spamcan81' suggests. I quote:

'Is 92 SQUADRON FOR SALE?
    If you've read the report in the current Steam Railway you would be forgiven for thinking that the sale of 34081 is the uppermost thought in the minds of the Society and its Trustees. It is a fact that we've received offers in the past to purchase the loco and as part of their duty to ensure continued funding for the loco's well being, the Trustees have considered carefully each offer. To date no offer to purchase the loco has been accepted. It is the Society's hope and intention to carry out the overhaul ourselves and retain ownership of the loco. Having said that, another individual has expressed interest in taking over 34081. With a large funding gap to bridge, particularly if our Lottery grant application fails, the Trustees would be foolish not to listen to any proposals regarding returning 34081 to traffic. To date however no meetings nor discussions have taken place and fund raising continues apace with the aim of getting the overhaul under way.'

It would seem that the 'Ropley Rumour Mill' can continue to grind!

Regards

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    No convincing some people. No matter what you write some people will interpret it any way they like. All we have said is that we are aware of someone's interest but that's as far as it goes. No meetings, no offers to purchase. I will simply reiterate what I said earlier - WE STILL OWN HER AND ARE NOT IN THE PROCESS OF SELLING HER.

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

ah yes Ian but in fantasy railway preservation land v3.0 , available on all good computers, why let a representation from a society official get in the way of a good rumour ! Now I can summon £5 would you sell her to me ?

4. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Martin,
    I suspect a fiver may just about get you a big kiss from my faithful hound but ownership of one of Mr. Bulleid's finest will take just a bit more cash than that. Now if you'd like to sponsor the overhaul you have it in any colour you like......... as long as it's malachite green. :smt003

5. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    So even with a statement from a man of honesty such as Ian Bowskill, people still want tp rumour monger?.

Ye Gods.

Regards
    Chris

6. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Chris,
    I've been called many things but a "man of honesty" is a first. :smt053
    No matter how our website statement was worded, people will draw their own conclusions. In the meantime we'll continue to fund raise and weigh up all our options for the overhaul. One eminent Bullied man has advised us to get the boiler done and do the absolute minimum needed mechanically in order to get as fast a turn round as possible and worry about further mechanical jobs further down the line. This has merit in that we could fund this option right now. Plenty of other options open to us of course, it's a matter of opting for which we think is best for the loco and to a lesser extent our members. I don't think any of us though want to be stuck here in 10 years time with 34081 still in bits.

7. Derek3

Derek3 New Member Account Suspended

Quite right ian and well put.

8. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    So if Mr Hosking wants a "Spam Can" to add to his collection, (and why shouldn't he?) looks like it will have to be 34073.

9. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

Pleased to hear it. The support crew who came with her to Swanage were all enthusiatstic about her and it would be a shame for a loco with good local support to be sold and then taken elsewhere.

10. chessie

chessie Member

I think this means 'the rumour mongers down at Ropley' - just to put the record straight, cctman, who spends most of his time at Medstead, seems to be the only person over 16 to have a) heard this rumour and b) passed it on. We at Ropley usually prefer fact.

11. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Also to put the record straight Chessie, I have spent several days in recent weeks at Ropley getting parts made for the two Brake Vans and also sorting out the vacuum equipment for these van.s

I have spoke to nobody under 16 about this, and actually most have been the paid staff.

If you use my private E-Mail address i will give you names of those people, so i suggest you get your facts right.

This is not a rebuke just a factual E-Mail, no offence meant and non taken I hope.

Regards
    Chris

12. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Re: 92 Squadron, sold?
    by cct man » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 am

So even with a statement from a man of honesty such as Ian Bowskill, people still want tp rumour monger?.

Ye Gods.

Regards
    ChrisChris

I think unfortunately it is time to let matters lie as instead of seeking an answer from Ian who is well known on the forum the initial rumour post was from yourself

sorry for this

13. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Which is what I wanted to do martin, however others stirred it up again, ho hum.

Regards
    Chris

14. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

Chris
    As you started the thread and now want it to rest would like me to lock it?

Ann

15. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Yes please Ann, if you would be so kind.

Regards
    Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.