If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A new-build BR Standard Class 3 is planned.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by bristolian, Aug 10, 2013.

1. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Progress?

PH

nickt likes this.
  2. stuartreeder

stuartreeder Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    progress in obtaining/building parts and getting members

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not actually sure they have any of the former.

4. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that they have a smokebox number plate!

5. stuartreeder

stuartreeder Member

6. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Little more than "gassing" on the internet so far. With a few honourable exceptions these newbuild groups are like religious sects; convinced that theirs is the only true path and for ever splitting into more and more fragments.

PH

michaelh likes this.
  7. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Negative waves Moriarty, negative waves!

Kje7812 likes this.
  8. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

£300-400 for a smokebox door pin suggests to me that they're not planning on doing this one on the cheap!

9. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Surprised there isnt an argument over whether an honorary copper capped chimney would be appropraite yet ;)
    Of all the new builds real or imagined the one most likely to get a repeat order is probably the standard 3 ? so i dont see any lack of credibility (but as an internet gasser i wouldnt would I)
    Although post ' Hengist' a brand new Brit would be a real possibility...

10. What would be the point when two 'real' ones already exist, both with a host of new parts after their (comparatively) recent restorations?

11. ragl

ragl Well-Known Member

Consultant Engineer

Yes, it is truly amazing how many contributing to this forum are convinced that theirs is the only true path, can't think where you got that idea from?

Cheers

Alan

12. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I certainly think existing groups should be amalgamating rather than new ones forming!

P

13. std tank

Retired
    With regards to BR Standard Locomotives, do you think nothing goes on within BRSLOG?

Tony Graham likes this.
  14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

I am sure it does but it is human nature for an umbrella organisation to want to say "we represent 10 groups" rather than "we represent 5 groups". No umbrella group is likely to say to neophytes "join forces with X group, you have neither the financial nor human resources to achieve your aims within a reasonable timespan". This is just what needs to happen if those organisations with a reasonable chance, like the 82045 group, are going to succeed.

The latter group have said that they will retire when their project is done which is why people need to share in their accumulated skills before going off in another direction.

It is worth repeating that, apart from "Tornado" and the railmotor power bogie it is still "jam tomorrow" as far as standard gauge new builds are concerned.

15. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Indeed, Why buy another A4 from an American Museum ? so that some 'sect' can put their particular 'right way of doing things' on it ?
    In both cases imho the money would be beter spent on Duke of Gloucester / Blue Peter /or a Merchant navy but each to their own...

16. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    And that is the fundamental point. We (hopefully) live in a free society where, within reason, we can do what we want. If one or more people/groups want to build a Std 3 there should be no reason why they shouldn't attempt it. The same freedom allows me, and everyone else, to belong to the railways that I want to and not (say) the ones nearest to me or the ones most in need of help.

17. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    It is also worth repeating that tomorrow is getting nearer all the time and the jam is getting thicker!

You only have to see for yourself the progress being made on most of these new-builds (not all of them, I agree) to realise that, in fact, most of them will succeed at this current rate (my italics).

As regards going off in another direction, I would argue that the formation of a the 77021 Group is not going off in just another direction. One reason why I have decided to support the 77021 Class 3 Build (which is the subject of this thread btw) is because I also support 82045 and can see the common ground and expertise that the latter has which could (note: could not necessarily would) be shared with the former. Sharing is going on all the time and its a fair bet that it will continue to do so. I do hope that, in saying this, I'm not classed as the latest member of the Torque Shy Tall Knight Club unlike some stuff I've read on this forum.

Now don't get me wrong, there is some really good advice on here (especially regarding secure, covered accommodation and strong links with an established heritage line or workshop) and, indeed, I think a very good benchmark for testing anything new in the heritage railway sector could be, "does it pass the very stiff Paulhitch test?" A strong case does need to be made, especially if you are asking people for money to support your interest, however economically viable you might think it will be. I'm not arguing against that.

To quote from the same film as Std Tank, "Why don't you just say something noble and righteous for once?!" There are times I wish I had!

So, let us put together the last member of the BR Standard steam family and give this ugly/functional/quite attractive really/insert comment of choice/ Standard Class 3 form and function where it will line up with its remaining family members, both new-build and extant, and go on to work on heritage lines that will suit it well.

Tony Graham, bristolian and ragl like this.
  18. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

repeat order of a Fowler 2-6-4T would be best if that ever gets built! the easier/cheaper boiler plus extra power would make it the best newbuild IMO.

19. bristolian

bristolian Member

Well said, that man. Let everyone put their money where they wish to, whether they be the groups / individuals planning / building the new-builds, or those wanting to help and support them in whichever way they want to.
    The nay-sayers can preach all they want to, but for Pete's sake, don't run the project planners down at every opportunity. If you don't like it, that's fine. Plenty of others DO like the planned builds, Michael Draper foretold tails of doom and gloom back in the early 1980s with stories of railways closing due to a proliferation of money being spent on new projects, and locos being purchased from Barry. To date, how many railways have closed as a result of what we now have, this thriving railway restoration industry?.

If you don't like these planned new-builds, fine. There are plenty of other threads in National Preservation and elsewhere that will keep your grey matter busy. But draw a line under the criticism and let these people get on with their projects, we'll all be richer for it in the end :).

Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.

Matt35027 likes this.
  20. std tank

Retired
    Again, well said.

bristolian likes this.