If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A tiny little requeste

Discussion in 'The Railway Magazine' started by P&JR, Oct 29, 2007.

1. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    Hi RM Staffe

I've just got a little, and I mean very little, request. Please, please, please can you rectify the long running error when it comes to spelling of North East locomotive builders.

It should be Hawthorn Leslie, Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn, Black Hawthorn, R&W Hawthorn etc. There are dozens of preserved locos out there with worksplates to prove it!
    Please drop the 'e' and ban 'Hawthorne' for ever!

2. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Not an unreasonable request, but when was the last time we may this mistake?

We have found a case of this last year, but did we transgress this year too?

3. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

I'll have a double check but I can't remember a case when it was spelled right, whether that's me only noticing when it's wrong or not I can't confirm. As long as you're aware of the problem and looking out for it though I'm happy!

4. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Our sub-editor has been alerted too, so if he misses one, he gets hung upside down.

5. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

There you go, one of Historys great mysteries solved, that was Mussolini's crime, I believe he had a similar punishment... ;-)

6. can we have more industrial stuff toosay tales from people about what happened ect and focus articals on individual locos

7. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Yes, that will be considered.

We need to someone to write it and then there is finding the right illustrations.

Presumably you mean more features like the one on the Burton-on-Trent brewery railways?

8. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

Industrial railways are far more intresting than mainline ones and for the vast majority of enthusiasts represent a chance to learn something that they didn't already know. It's also a refreshing change from the 'mmm aren't A4s/Kings/Duchesses/Merchant's nice they're all glamorous and fast' kind of article.

9. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

One of the difficulties is finding someone prepared to undertake research (sometimes primary research) and write about a specific aspect of industrial railways that: (a) produces something new and is not a rehash of a feature that appeared elsewhere, and (b) provides the opportunity to use previously unseen images of good quality.

We are always open to the submission of a brief synopsis by post or email.

10. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

Really dont want to be pedantic but can I just say that 'e' has crept back into Hawthorn again! Just flicked through the latest issue and spotted two cases.

On a similar point in the piece on the York 1968 event I can promise you that No. 49 is not, never has been and absolutely never will be a "J94" its a Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn built 'Austerity' 0-6-0ST.

Not having a go just like to stand up for the industrials, I know if a similar crime had been comitted on any loco with a lion and wheel or similar on it then the axes would have been sharpened quite a while back.

11. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

12. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

Yes I know any sentance that starts like that is bound to be the work of a pedant! Ok I admit I'm a pedantic sod, it's the old age starting to get to me, if I'm not careful I'll be a hypocrit too by the end of the year ](*,)

13. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    .... but at least we won't be able to call you an old witch cos your spell(ing)s aren't too good - obviously another indicator of oncoming old age :smt003 :smt002

14. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

In my defence it was heading for 1am, not feeling too fresh!

15. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Got to agree with you 100%. It's not just the Railway Mag, either. With the exception of Railway Bylines, all the mags seem to be ignorant when it comes to the finer points of our industrial locos. Imagine the howls that would come, and not just from the pedants, if a photo of an A4 was accompanied by a caption saying 'built at Swindon....' yet confusing Hudswell, Clarke and Hawthorn, Leslie (which Heritage Railway has done a couple of times) is not a problem; after all, they both begin with 'H' so it's near enough!

16. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The point I was making exactly. Having said that though the same could be argued about other areas of preservation, carriages for example. How many times have other people read information they know to be wrong on carriages, and waggons for that matter!

17. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

Let me investigate this issue a little further....