If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

A4 event

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Anthony Coulls, May 9, 2008.

1. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

http://www.nrm.org.uk/events/reunion.asp

2. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    Is it really 32.50 pounds??? Cos even though I love the A4's there's no way I'm paying that, thats bloody extortion considering thier just sitting there.

3. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

I'd pay it if they weren't so far away from me...

4. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
    Sorry, but as Beetlejuice says, this is just extortion!!! The NYMR charged £5? for the 3 A4s line up, so Mallard is a very expensive "add on".
    How can they justify this price, and if you are travelling on "The Coronation" that weekend, will you have to pay see the line up?

5. halothewynd

halothewynd New Member

I agree, I was hoping to visit and would have been happy to pay a reasonable price but £32.50 is a bit too much. Then there's the P&P on top!

The NRM have to find ways of covering their costs and subsidising free admissions for all and most people understand that but I suspect this one will price off quite a few enthusiasts who were thinking of attending.

Given that numbers to be admitted are limited, I'm guessing the price has probably been set with another intention - controlling demand.

6. eddief

eddief Member

I have to agree here, 4 A4's = £32.50, 10 locos (1968 and all that) = £11 not exactly a fair ratio.

7. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

I am sorry but I disagree… many spend more than that on a night out at the pub and then urinate it down the drain… I know which I would prefer… It’s a rare opportunity and to be a part of it, you will simply have to fork out for it... or not depending on your preference.

8. dhic001

dhic001 Member

I'd happily pay that IF the locos were not all (excluding Mallard) in BR livery. A line up of garter blue and maybe an apple green A4s would be lovely. As they are, no thanks.

9. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    And now - in my best Colemanballs voice ..........

"And the NRM goalmouth is wide open and here they come and yes - without hesitation - the NRM score straight through it again!"

When will they ever learn?????

Overpriced tours with 4472 and 4771 that were a financial fiasco marketed by "consultants" - attempting to offer 4472 as a marketing opportunity at the Toy Fair - from an empty marquee wih nothing on show inside Excel - and now this.

Dear NRM, just for the record - are you a pro public bono institution or a playground for the rich and undiscriminating?

Scrapping this silly stance and substituting one more user friendly will be the correct response!

Let's see this stupid £32.50 reduced a.s.a.p.

10. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Can I ask were the £32.50 is going, as with the A4s all coming in off the main line on a tour are the NRM even having to pay for them or are they being paid their normal fee to service the locomotives???

11. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

As a Curator, I am not qualified to go through the workings of our commercial and finance departments; but one thing I will say is this:

The NRM is publicly funded and thus recieves a subsidy from the government to enable it to operate on a minimum level. Like any business, the chance to enhance its operations through revenue generated from events such as this and the 1968 bash is a shot in the arm. The money will go into the funds of the Museum, it is not a profit making company, and is free admission (apart from special events) so has to make money somewhere.

12. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    £20 quid I could maybe understand and would pay but £30 is way too much, thats quite alot for someone who's not earning anything. I do like the way there is absoultly no concessions, doesn't really help the educational or involving the youth, who tend not to be able to afford as much, which surely should be the Museums aim?

I'm an avid supporter of the NRM but I do think this is a bit much. I can understand that they need to make money off this but surely 10 or 15 pounds cheaper could have made a bit of difference? Supply and Demand economics, many people wouldn't go if its too expensive for them, many people will go if they can afford to. What to me adds insult to injury is the fact that there is the special cabs and dine thing on the saterday which is also very expensive so why does the NRM seem to only cater for those who can afford to spend that money that quickly? Obviously Price determination in the consumer depertment isn't particually good, well looking at the responses on here anyway.

Anthony Coulls, would it be possible foy you to find out for us how this event is being budgeted so we can all see why this is costing so much??

13. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
    Perhaps if the government gave the national museums a proper financial settlement they wouldn't have to exploit every opportunity that comes along to make some dosh.

14. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    If you are going off Supply and Demand, I think the event may well sell out, and it is understandable for the NRM to want to make a profit. The dining with A4's for example is probably not aimed at railway entusiasts in the same way VSOE will not be a regular past time to many on the forum.

Bettlejuice - I doubt the ticket price is in any way related to the costs in staging the event. I go with John Elliot Jnr in that if the government gave the national museums a proper financial settlement they wouldn't have to exploit every opportunity that comes along to make some dosh. That said, tickets on the door in my opinion is better and the obsession with things being 'free' has caused a lot of damage in this country! Political Rant Over!

15. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have minded going to this, seeing as it's just an hour away.

But I didn't realise it was being aimed at the premier dining class brigade. Shame.

Oh well, there's always the 1968 event. At least they'll have a decent engine there.

16. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

Meow...

17. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

It's not all bad, they've got another one coming soon as well!

18. eddief

eddief Member

It does look like it is a supply and demand, the 4 A4's will be together for 2 1/2 hours each day, the crowds at this point will be massive. If the train is late (which knowing steam trains it will be) then you are looking at about 2hours for the 4 together each day. Would it not be better to charge £10-15 and allow people 30mins to take photos of the occasion? I can see it becoming a fight for shots as those at the front won't move so the others will miss out on the shots.

19. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Would I be right in thinking that the area where the 4 locomotives will be lines up is a bit tight for space i.e. the area just outside the workshop?

Regards,

Dan

20. malc

malc Part of the furniture

I've got to agree that £32.50 does seem a lot, but I'm pleased to note that this won't apply to passengers on The Coronation (of which I am one). My fear was that when the train arrived at York and we had made our way to the NRM, there would be so many other people already there that we would have no chance of getting a decent shot of the line-up. Hopefully, the £32.50 admission will help avoid ths, but maybe there should also have been a lower admission charge for when just three A4s were present (athough policing this as the time approached for the fourth loco to arrive may have been a bit of a nightmare).