If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Abandoning Auto Working

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by johnofwessex, Mar 25, 2017.

1. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    When I was on the SDR some o f the photo's from the 50's referred to Auto working being abandoned in the BR Era.

Does anyone know why? It meant having to run round a single coach train at each end - presumably not that easy at Totnes - and was auto working abandoned anywhere else

2. SR.Keoghoe

SR.Keoghoe New Member

Could that just be the BR western region, as BR southern region converted 40 Maunsell coaches to form 20 push pull units in 1959 to replace older wooden bodied pre grouping sets. Admittedly the Maunsell coach sets were all withdrawn by 1963. Someone in the southern region must have liked the idea of push pull sets before a change of heart a few years later.

3. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

It was said to me quite recently by someone who fired on the Guildford to Horsham motor trains that the air operated control gear "never worked" and the regulator opening was in the hands of the fireman, with bell signals from the driver at the other end of the train. This was done with the full knowledge of the locomotive inspectors who paid special attention to ensure the fireman was "up to it".

PH

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2017
  4. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

it reads to me like it was abandoned on the Ashburton branch, maybe they combined the passenger and freight services? or used the same engine for both services ?When did the line close for passengers?

5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    November 1958.

6. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

The last passenger train (strengthened to 6 coaches and double headed by 1466 & 1470)) ran on 1st Nov. 1958. Complete closure was from 7th Sept. 1962.
    Although photos exist of 14xx hauling one or two Hawksworth non-corridors during the 50's I don't believe that auto working was ever "abandoned" - more likely a temporary shortage of auto trailers. In OPC's "Ashburton Branch" there are photos of auto trains on 2/7/57 and 19/10/57 which is pretty close to the closure date. I don't think that the branch ever operated mixed trains as such - tail traffic probably but I'll do some more research on that.
    We have to be very careful not to re-write history by drawing conclusions from just one photo.
    Ray.

rule55 and Black Jim like this.
  7. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Did the introduction of DMUs contribute to the end of Auto Working?

8. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

not on this branch but probably it did elsewhere. It would be interesting to know which branches went over to DMU and subsequently closed.

9. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Kingsbridge was operated by a Class 122 single unit - interestingly enough often hauling a coach

Reading General likes this.
  10. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Many of the branches that had been auto worked, such as Ashburton, closed before DMU's were widely available - or the Beeching Report for that matter.
    The Exeter - Dulverton and the Tiverton Jc - Tiverton lines both shut in Sept 1963 without ever being dieselized as did the Horwich branch on the LMR. The Brixham branch was DMU'd for a short while before closure as was the Oswestry - Gobowen branch. IIRC when the Yeovil and Seaton branches were transferred to BR(W) control the S.R. push pull sets were replaced by ex GWR 64xx and trailers for a short time before closure. I'm sure others can think of many more examples.
    Ray.

11. Cartman

Cartman Well-Known Member Account Suspended

Van driver
    Bury to Holcombe Brook was worked by push pull fittted L & Y 2-4-2 tanks and closed in 1952, before DMUs, as was the passenger service between Radcliffe Central and Bolton, the following year. The Bury - Bacup service went over to DMUs in 1956