If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

advice on best type of external microphone to buy for my Camcorder

Discussion in 'Photography' started by iswise, May 21, 2011.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: Buxton Spa 5/11

Interesting. I do sound only recordings and I've found that if I put the mic too close to the ground, the sound isn't as "clean" and has more bass than if the mic is a foot or more above ground level.

2. Spamcan81

Training moles

Interesting. I do sound only recordings and I've found that if I put the mic too close to the ground, the sound isn't as "clean" and has more bass than if the mic is a foot or more above ground level.
    I noticed on the recent Plandampf that the sound only guys had their mics on stands but a number if video guys had their mics on the ground.

3. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

I usually have my mic on an extended low down for the same reason as Simon to reduce wind noise. However I have got a trip attachment for it now so might try it on a separate tripod

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer

I usually plug a small headset into the camera and from the background noise make a decision whether to leave the mic on an arm on the tripod or put it lower or on the ground. Only problem of course, if panning round the sound can be lost with directional mic, so sometimes change to Rhode SVM. Then it gets complicated, it does not get as good sound from the long shot, so run second camera also on the tripod on wider shot with directional mic on the ground/low down and SVM on the tripod for the close sound. Then edit best sound from the two to go with best shot..... Or something like that...

5. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired

I use a pair of Rycote WS3's mounted on mic stands approx 4' from the ground do the job OK but have had buzzards come down for a closer look.
    Mics are Audio Tecnicha BP4029 XY sterio mic and a pair of Audio Technica AT4021's these latter two seem so have very good off axis attenuation both have switchable flat 10dB roll off pad this eliminates a lot of low frequency rumble.

Mike loved your video the Millers Dale shots were poignant, was almost expecting a train to pass, very impressive.

Cheers Dave

6. Spamcan81

Training moles

I've encountered some hazards when recording but never buzzards. Perhaps my Rycote fluffy doesn't look appetising enough. :)

7. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Audio is always a bit of a compromise if you're shooting video by yourself.

Placement: if I'm using a stereo mic, I put it on a separate tripod, about a foot off the ground, and as sheltered from the wind as I can. Normally, however, I use a "short shotgun" mic (a Rode NTG-1), which has good rejection of sounds from the sides and behind, mounted on the camera. It's higher up, and therefore more vulnerable to the wind, and it adds weight to the camcorder. On the other hand, it does mean that the mic "follows" the sound source, which is important if I'm panning more than about 30 degrees.

Levels: Although my camcorder has manual controls, I still use the auto level control (ALC) most of the time. On the better cameras, although ALC is quick to cut the level when the signal's too loud, it's a little slower to turn the gain back up again. This reduces the risk of the volume "pumping" when short loud sounds are separated by moments of silence. There are some alternatives that may give a better result:
    1) Work with a sound recordist who is good at "riding" level controls. Your recordist won't be able to use the knobs on the camera itself, so you either need a separate mixer feeding the camera, or a separate recorder - in which case you'll have to add the sound to the pictures later when editing. This is ideal, and it's the way "proper" films and TV programmes are made. I had the luxury of working with a very experienced pro one day on the Watercress Line (thanks Nick!) and I've been dissatisfied with my own efforts ever since!
    2) Set the camera audio to manual and use a "limiter" between the mic and the camera. Set a compromise level that's high enough to pick up most of the sound without too much hiss, and leave the limiter to cut the level when the sound is too loud. (A limiter is an electronic gadget that cuts an input signal when it goes over a certain level. You can set the level, how "aggressive" the cut is and how quickly the level is released. Beechtek make one that you can mount under the camera. Good field mixers have them built in. However, a good field mixer probably costs more than most video cameras.)
    3) If you are using a mono mic, and can set the left and right channel levels independently, then feed the same signal to both, and set one channel higher than the other. Switch between the two channels in the editor - use the high one until it distorts then switch to the low one. You'll need to do some careful adjustments to make it sound natural.

8. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

Does anyone know if there is a suitable wind reduction mic I can get to plug into my little Panasonic HDC-SD60 ? Please.

I had a decent sound on the BSE vid Saturday from Fitzwilliam which is in a cutting, but out in a field the built in auto zoom mic struggles to cope with a breeze noise.

9. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired

Had a look at your camera's manual for inputs but can see none so it would seem you are stuck with the inbuilt mic.
    No mic by itself reduces noise they will all make a racket when uncovered.
    I did mention a rumble filter this cuts out low frequency rumble.
    You need at least a camera with 3.5mm jacks or XLR connectors (shielded) then you can start to make progress.
    The Rycote site has a good range of windshields at various prices.
    That is the only advice I can give with your present equipment.

Cheers Dave

10. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

Does the SD60 have a mic jack?
    I didn't think it did, so all you could do is afix a small piece of fur across the inbuilt mic, but is that the "focus assist lamp" also at the front.

11. Spamcan81

Training moles

On a calm day I can use my Sony PCM-D50 with a Rycote fluffy on my camera tripod to keep it a reasonable distance from the ground but beyond a light breeze I need to use my Røde NT-4 inside my Rycote WS4. This won't fit the tripod so I have to either hold the set up or wedge it in a tree or similar. Would like a proper mic stand so as you use a similar Rycote set up, what make of stand do you use?

12. iswise

iswise Member

Having started this thread it is interesting to read all the latest thoughts from people far more expert than I in audio aspects of video. For what its worth I finally plumped for the Rode SVM with its dead kitten, used it for the first time on the recent plandampf and have been very pleased with it although I am yet to buy a longer lead and enable placing on a separate tripod. So far I have just held it in my other hand or my able and willing assitant (son Charlie) has held it for me. For a pure amateur like me the results are fine with all wind problems gone (although still picking up the occasional motor wind from a nearby slr). You can hear (and see) the results here if you wish: http://www.youtube.com/user/141R729

13. mattspencer

I am looking at buying something like the NTG-1 or something similar. How good are they are rejecting sounds, for example if I am stood in a gallery of photographers how much of the shutter noise will I still record. I currently use a Sony ECM-MSD1.

14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I think you are going to work very hard to find a way of eliminating the gallery's shutter noise, unless you have a long lead and position your mic as far infront of you/them as possible. Then of course you will get complaints about it getting in thier shot.......

15. mattspencer

But will a shotgun microphone significantly reduce it compared to my current stereo microphone?

16. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    It will help but it will not eliminate the shutter noise altogether.
    Rolf's suggestion of a long lead is probably your best bet. <BJ>

17. mattspencer

Thanks, I currently use a long lead with my current microphone which h