If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Agecroft No.1 at MoSI

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by MEJ, Feb 28, 2009.

1. MEJ

MEJ New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The railway was running very well before Steves arrival at MoSI, however, under his control, the railway has undoubtedly expanded. Primarily, this has seen the purchase of "Agecroft No.1" but also x3 16T mineral wagons, and the extension of the running line and building of a new platform.
    I can safely say that the Steam Railway will continue to operate after Steves departure, and while Railway Staff and Volunteers are very sad to see Steve going, we are aware that the railway is in a better position that before he arrived. While I doubt the railway will expand under a Director other than Steve, it can continue in its current state, better for the aquasition of more rolling stock etc undertaken in the last 14 months. Steve has also made people more aware of the MOSI Steam Railway, and its opportunities and applications. The August Transport Festival and "Great Garratt Gathering" proved that the site and the railway especially can be utilised for such largescale events, and we hope Steves successor will organise such events more regularly in the future. In the meantime, "Planet" is being stripped for winter overhaul and boiler inspection, while "Agecroft" work continues. The replica L&M coaches are due a re-paint and hopefully this winter we can spare time to begin restoring the mineral wagons. Once "Agecroft" is complete next spring, its place inside will be taken by the BR brakevan and its restoration started. Plenty to keep the Volunteers busy, regardless of who is in charge!

2. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for this

As with all schemes and I hope you don't mind me asking as I haven't been yet but if money were no object what is the potential . Had Steve stayed what were the plans (if any) and what could be done ?

3. MEJ

MEJ New Member

In reality, we can only speculate at the possible schemes and projects MOSI could have launched with Steves enthusiasm. However, certain projects were announced, the prime one being the proposed heritage street tramway from MOSI to the townhall. (http://www.manchesterconfidential.com/index.asp?Sessionx=IpqiNw86JDflKaqiNwF6IHqi)
    Somehow, I cant see anyone but Steve having the enthusiasm to find funding and see this project through. Any new Director will likely want to put their own mark on the Museum, rather than follow in Steves footsteps and take over right where he will leave. Regarding the railway, some new projects initiated by Steve have yet to be completed, (Agecroft) some have not yet been started (mineral wagons, brake van) so we cant complain at a lack of future projects and beneifts to the Museum Railway that will be left as Steves "legacy" for at least the next 12 months or so! Im also sure the closer ties with the NRM in future will stand the MOSI railway in good stead....

4. MEJ

MEJ New Member

An update of recent work on "Agecroft No.1":

Recent work has primarily seen the removal of the valve covers and main steam pipes, both pairs of which only yielded after a long struggle! The Valves are in good condition and only require cleaning and the fitting of new studs for the covers. The Main steam pipes both require replacments, but are required as templates so copies can be made. Now we know the valves are OK, the motion can be re-fitted and as it is all lying re-furbed and freshly painted on a workbench, this milestone shouldnt be long in coming. The slidebars have been machined by one of our Volunteers who has access to a bench grinder, and once fitted, work can also be undertaken to skim the crossheads and eventually re-fit the piston rods, pistons and cylinder cover.
    All lubricator pipework has been cleaned, stripped and polished. Almost as labourious a task was the sorting of the pipes to find what went where! However, we now have a fully piped loco and all lubricator pipework is in place, at least until the running plates are given their final coat of paint.

The Boiler is progressing well with all new stays fitted and the new front tubeplate delivered. All that is required now is the riviting of stays and tubeplate and the fitting of tubes prior to a Hydraulic test. Watch this space as I hope to add some photos when we get a clear day and can photograph Agecroft outside!

5. 3855

3855 Member

Its a brave man who attempts to machine slidebars witha bench grinder! Surely you mean surface grinder?

6. MEJ

MEJ New Member

Its again been a while since I updated the "Agecroft No.1" thread, recent work has seen further progress on the loco.

The bottom end has now recieved all its valve gear and the lubricator pipework has been completed, tested and is shortly to be removed to paint the running plates.
    The slidebars (having been machined on a surface grinder- oops, thanks for pointing that out 3855!) are awaiting fitting, once the crossheads have been attended to. We hope the connecting rods can then be fitted by the start if April.
    The boiler is now completed at Israel Newtons and Sons and just requires the completion and fitting of the new smokebox. The official Hydraulic test is set for the 23rd of March, upon which the boiler can be shipped to Liverpool Road. Steam testing will be delayed until all the boiler fittings have been re-furbished, a job currently underway.
    Work will shortly begin on making new boiler cladding- none of the surviving sheets being salvagable.

In the background the many smaller but crucial jobs continue; replacing studs on the valve covers, drilling broken studs from the chimney, completing the ashpan, fitting the locker in the cab etc etc.

7. Jordan-Leeds

Jordan-Leeds New Member

Agecroft No 1

Does anyone have any updates on the overhaul of agecroft No 1 at Manchester museum of science and industry? last time i saw it last summer the engine looked pretty well done just awaiting its boiler
    Also the railway at MOSI how long is it and Whats the grade on it?

cheers Jordan leeds

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Re: Agecroft No 1

Wow brilliant.
    Whilst I was around 5 / 6 years old at the time I can still remember travelling on DMUs from Bolton to Manchester, seeing Kearsley Powerstation in the valley below, then switching sides to see the steam shunters at Agecroft, usually by the 2 lane shed by the mainline and what seemed like very long sidings and the mega long conveyor (well it seems that way to me then)

Being only 36.., this engine as well as no8 at Bickershaw, and seeing Whiston at bold colliery represent the only "real working" steam ive seen in this country pre-preservation.

9. 504

504 New Member

Agecroft number 1 is moveing on apace, boiler is awaiting to go back onto frames (crane was due last friday but did happen). frames are complete along with first fit vac pipeing. most volenteers are now working on Planet doing winter maintance inc axle boxes which is why its a couple of feet in the air at the moment. planet should be runing by halftrem. Agecroft will be working trains at Liverpool Rd, when Planet is away on holiday at other railways (NYMR 175th).But no date has been yet set for its inroduction, but we will put it on nat pres when it happens.
    The railway runs in a "Y" and is around a mile long train ride.

10. 504

504 New Member

boiler put on frames 31/1/11

11. MEJ

MEJ New Member

Apologies for this thread going quiet... work has continued on apace and "Agecroft No.1" entered service at the end of April. The loco is still yet to be painted and at present is in a temporary coat of BEA green, which will be repainted in due course and fully lined to represent the loco as delivered new in 1948.

Whilst "Planet" was away in April and May at the NYMR and then GCR, Agecroft ran the MOSI service trains with our own LNER brakevan and Mk1 Suburban on hire from Llangollen Railway.

At present the loco roster will be planned to alternate between "Planet" and "Agecroft" as neccisary to stagger maintenance work and washouts. However, we reserve the right to swap locos at short notice- in wet weather be prepared to see "Agecroft" out rather than "Planet"!

12. MEJ

MEJ New Member

102_3502.JPG DSC01056.JPG 102_4326.JPG 102_4320.JPG

Loco with boiler fitted. March 2011
    Tank fitted and running under steam for the first time April 2011
    Operating with 16T mineral wagons June 2011

13. 3855

3855 Member

Looks well, any plans to take it on tour?

14. MEJ

MEJ New Member

Sweet memories.jpg 102_4300.JPG

Going back to how the project started in February 2009, "Agecroft No.1" arrives in kit form from Long Marston being greeted back to Manchester by long serving Agecroft Powerstation loco driver Ken Corfield. (Photo by R. Sheppard-all others; M. Jackson)

April 2011, Agecroft No.1s return to steam and first ever public passenger train!

The work to transform a kit of worn out rusting parts into a working steam loco is testament to the dedicated small group of MOSI Railway Volunteers who have contributed their time, skills and money into what is a very large project for a small railway with limited facilities to undertake.

Beside the MOSI Railway Volunteers and staff, my thanks also go to: Israel Newtons & Sons boilermakers, Special Equipment Ltd (Oldham), Craftmaster Paints, the National Railway Museum Shildon, Tanfield Railway, Ribble Railway, Mersey Loco Group, The 504 Group, Heritage Steam Supplies Ltd, JA Harrisons (Manchester) Ltd, Hydraulic Transmission Services Ltd. (Salford), Barry Gambles (Poole) and Hertiage Transport Supplies, who all provided services, expertise, advise, assistance or parts without which we couldn't have completed the loco. Special thanks must also go to Ken and Chris Corfield who kept an eye on our progress and regaled us with tales about Agecroft Powerstation from the locos days in service for the BEA and CEGB between 1948 and 1981.

Attached Files:

15. MEJ

MEJ New Member

We are currently planning a couple of hires away for the loco, but I'll leave this for the respective Railways to announce in their own time.

Otherwise, we are open to offers from anyomne wishing to hire "Agecroft No.1" for short term hires, galas, events etc.

16. 504

504 New Member

locomotive due to go to Tanfield Railway for there next gala over the weekend 9th 10th 11th sept.

17. mickpop

mickpop Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Just in the process of re-scanning all my photos and came across the following of the Agecroft locos in their original home. I think I have some more of them somewhere from before they became semi-famous. Not sure of the dates but probably 1980s, maybe the locos in black were earlier than that?

http://mickpope.zenfolio.com/p506284746