If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Alton to Canterbury Cathedrals Express 3-10-13. Loco ???

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by green five, Sep 25, 2013.

1. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Last VT tour I travelled on was 6201 to Swansea a few years ago, and not only did the stock get turned at Swansea so standard was at the back the whole day, we had to put up with the 47 pushing most of the day. Haven't been with them since.

2. 30910

30910 Member

Retired
    I wouldn't get too upset too soon. There are literally hundreds of videos on YouTube of trips with West Coast over the Northern Fells (Shap and the S&C) this year and only a limited number had diesels on for "fire risk" or "special operating needs" (shunting at a destination where turning is not possible etc.). Not many would suggest these routes are billiard tables. Just wait and see how things pan out - there may have a special reason for assistance with this trip. As has been said before - no-one introduces the extra cost of a diesel for the fun of it.

Chris

3. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Yes I was on that trip and was also the last VT tour I have been on.

4. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Rather a good run with 70000 yesterday. She is back on top form and there was some excellent handling of her on the very poor rail head conditions. Lots of slipping but it was stopped very quickly by the drivers. We were near the front of the train and as far as we were aware 70000 was only pushed a couple of times: from Tonbridge as we felt the shove from the rear of the train and at Staines on the return run when the driver whistled up for assistance as 70000 just couldn't get her power down on the wet, greasy rails on the very tight curve exiting the station. So 70000 was doing most of the work most of the time. We had a somewhat subdued climb of Martin Mill bank on the return after a vigorous start went into a powerful slip. But on the section from Ashford Int. to the water stop at Paddock Wood we were treated to a superb run: 70000 was opened up in fine style through Ashford Int. and she continued to storm along at speed with the wonderful sound of the two cylinder roar music to the passengers ears. Won't forget that experience for a while. Welcome back Britannia.

5. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

That was the exception, though, not the rule. Most VT tours don't take a DL with them, and those that do tend not to use it on the open road. There are exceptions, of course, but generally there's a much lower chance of DL intervention on a VT tour than most others.

6. green five

As it is now the leaf-fall season and judging by the poor conditions yesterday dare I say it that Diesels will probably be present at the rear of most WCRC workings at the moment. They do not want a repeat of the events with 34067 a while ago when she slipped to a stand. Yesterday the Class 33 was used only when required (when we were running behind schedule and when 70000 was having trouble getting a grip at Staines).

7. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer

Having read all that, it sure seems you had a good trip.............................................. AND you stayed dry to boot!! - Bonus!!!!

8. green five

It was a cracking run with a magnificent soundtrack from 70000 but regarding the rain, we didn't stay dry. It was raining when we got to Canterbury and it got heavier after we had arrived. Sod's law the sun came out when it was time to leave!

9. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    and here is the ECS back to Southall. Britannia on the back at West Byfleet, and on the front doing the work at Hanwell

10. kesbobby

kesbobby Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Going home in sunshine
    20131004-9.jpg

11. green five

Here is a short video I shot of 70000 departing Aldershot on the return run:

Slippery conditions were still causing problems.