If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Another airworthy Lancaster?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by GeoffS75, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    And they don't half squabble sometimes.

2. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    I'm slightly biased but another site with a few aircraft is at MoSI in the Air and Space gallery.

The only additional aircraft at MoSI not in that gallery is this Avro replica which sits in the new Revolution Manchester gallery.
    208.JPG

Duncan

3. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

I've got my fingers crossed that this comes off, to see 2 lancs in formation or maybe 3 if the canadian one can make the trans atalantic hop . hopefully the public will support this where it counts most.

4. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    aircraftinformationexchange.org

5. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Is there an open forum that doesn't? ;)

Looking forward to seeing another Lanc in the sky :)

Mark

6. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

An article in one of the aviation mags suggests they believe it will take about 14 - 18 months to get Just Jane into flying condition once they commit to the work and take her out of service to strip down. Because they obviously want to keep their main source of income - ie the taxi runs - going as long as possible, they won't commit to stripping the aircraft down until they have assembled all the required components. So they are still taking taxi bookings for 2013 at least, which suggests 2015 would be the absolute earliest it could happen. Possibly later than that, because as well as the aeroplane, they also have to upgrade the airfield so the runway is long enough to fly from.

From what I have read and seen on a visit, I get the sense they are a very professional, but also justifiably cautious, set up, and will make sure that they don't endanger their survival by going too quickly. But if anyone can do it, they can. They also have people with huge experience and knowledge about flying Lancs based 5 miles up the road! The BBMF crews are supposedly being of great assistance.

Tom

7. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I recall one thread on the Key Publications forum where two authors really got stuck into each other and made NatPres look like a vicar's tea party. One of them threatened a contributor with legal action for simply remarking that he's thought he'd walked into a primary school playground rather than a serious aviation forum. But yes you're right, squabbles are common place on open forums.

8. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

When she does return to the air, will it be personel from the BBMF, or former pilots from the BBMF that fly her at first ? , because i can't think of anyone else who would have the multi engine experience, or be current on Lancasters i just hope that one day i will able to experience the sight of 2 lancs starting up and taxi out together .

9. Spamcan81

Training moles
    Air Atlantique have flow Daks and DC-6s, there's a Catalina, Beech 18 and a B-17 on the UK display circuit so there must be other multi engine experienced pilots about other than the BBMF. Finding them with Lancaster hours in the log book may not be so easy. :)

10. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

The article I referred to suggested it would almost certainly be a current or former BBMF pilot if and when it happened. Though given it could be a few years off, who can predict the future and which pilots with which experience might be available at that time?

Tom