If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

ARISE

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Avonside1563, Oct 10, 2008.

1. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Can steam railways join ARISE, if they promise only to use "proper" engines?

The ARISE "management" might need to overlook the occasional main-line visitor for galas ... and all those Mk1 carriages.

Richard

2. 37255

37255 Guest

Maybe, once formed, the group could sponsor certain industrial galas, in order to spread the message to the unconverted that industrial lines are not simply lines which can't afford ex BR stuff, etc? If the group were to cover the cost of road haulage for locos (as an example), it may well help some of the smaller, often overlooked, lines to hold a gala which will bring people in?

3. richards

What a brilliant idea!

If ARISE was set up in an official capacity, it may actually be able to qualify for funding which the smaller railways couldn't access. I'm not talking about Lottery Fund - I'm thinking of other smaller sources of money. Oh no, I'm talking myself into a job here, aren't I ...

Otherwise, would it raise money by personal donations from members? Or arranging photo charters for the visiting locos?

Richard

4. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just where is this money for sponsorship going to come from? Probably from those member railways, themselves! If transport costs for a loco are of the order of £800-1000 one way, sponsoring a loco hire isn't going to come cheap. The idea of a group aimed at industrial loco owners/operators is good. Some of the ideas being floated here aren't.

5. 37255

37255 Guest

I never claimed it would be easy, but it would be an idea for the group to have a purpose rather than simply commenting on which preserved industrials we do and don't approve of! The group would not need to fund 100% of the transport fee, ticket fares would help somewhat, but a small sum to help railways to put a gala on would surely be worth it! I suppose it depends on the degree of support, but there's no point in shooting down ideas before giving them a chance.

6. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    I like the Photo charter idea, is there a railway group who specilize in the industrial setting?? if not...........?
    Maybe just sharing some ideas out would be a good start then build on the ideas that 'cost' how about us going round helping to restore/build somthing say once every 3-6 months as a hit team?? painting a loco, wagon a bit of track work etc for some of the smaller railways, its an idea and comments welcome! :-k

7. richards

Even if there wasn't much money available, it would still be useful to share info/knowledge/technical expertise.

Maybe the smaller projects would still welcome a visit from ARISE to work on a particular project, or chew over technical/operating/business ideas.

Richard

8. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Well we at Foxfield had a bit of a thing for the industrial charter for a while... Littleton Coll x 2, Shelton steelworks x 3, Teeside, Cardiff, Workington steelworks x 2 etc....

Bob Branch was the main mover in a lot of these, but running out of suitable sites now!

Like the sound of spreading the good word though, galas at lines that don't have many servicable locos would be good, or how about the alternative industrial gala, the Port of Par twins, Flying Buffer Beam, Blue Circle etc......

9. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    So say every few months decend on a railway to give a hand, its a good excuse to visit places and you can help out too, I like the idea anyway, somthing to be discussed at our first gathering?

10. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    Lets no get too carrier away... I think the first and most important step is as an organisation for people with common purpose and interest. Sharing of information and contacts would be fantastic!!!

11. richards

What about a logo? Something like:
    [attachment=0:15ghyiuv]ariselogo.gif[/attachment:15ghyiuv]
    (with huge apologies to Embsay whose website I nicked this image from - ** Please don't use this without their clearance!! **)

Richard

12. P&JR

P&JR Well-Known Member

The Peoples Democratic Republic of the Causey Arch
    Oh dear, I'm tempted to launch a campaign for accurate waggon representation after seeing that.

Incidently has anyone else spotted the mistake in the sign on the Great Northern hotel in Peterborough with the Silver A4 on? There's a BR 12 ton van in it when it's supposed to be 1937 or thereabouts! ... you haven't? No just me then... sorry 8-[

13. richards

... and I've just realised I can't spell either! #-o

Richard

14. Silverlink60014

Silverlink60014 Member

it does have 2 g's its everyone else in the country spells it wrong. In the North East it has and always will be waggon not the soft southern wagon.

15. richards

Sorry P&JR, wasn't meaning to have a go at you ... I'd just spotted "campaining" in my logo!! ](*,)

Richard

16. 50046

50046 New Member

You could use Dubsy to pick up and present the award trophies... \:D/

17. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

All,

Back to Backworth

I am currently organising a photocharter at the Tanfield with a lot of help from P&JR. It will be in late January and feature future ARISE award winner No.49 (alongside Wimblebury (and Whiston) is there a more authentic Austerity?) and the coal train. There should also be some appropriate NCB surprises...

Although some final details need to be confirmed the event is filling fast. If interested please PM me.

Thanks,

David

18. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    I'd better not break Wimble this Saturday then... erm do we know about this at Foxfield?! Whiston is miles away from steaming at the moment, still in bits and having a heavy general repaint carried out to the motion!

19. 37255

37255 Guest

If anyone's planning to take a car to this Tanfield charter from the midlands area and has 2 seats to spare, we'd be happy to split the petrol bill! \:D/

Please PM me.

20. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Now that is mind boggling!!! What colour? =D> \:D/