If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Atlantic Coast Express: RTC/Clan Line - 2/07/22

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by TheModster, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Unfortunately a "one under" involving a TfL train at Imperial Wharf.
    Thoughts and sympathy for all those involved in the incident and the aftermath.

Neil

2. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Indeed quite late in the evening for one of those from my experience of living in London for many years. My wife commuted from Hatton X to Eastcote via Acton Town and also from Hillingdon to Farringdon for some years, unfortunately seemed to be a very regular occurrence on both the Piccadilly and the Met Lines.

3. Arun Valley

Arun Valley New Member

Atlantic Coast Express 02 July 2022

I will admit that l was hesitant in booking this one as l look to book trips with different features: either the route(s) or traction: this one was essentially the same as in 2019. Anyway, as the prospect of it being a great tour and missing it meant two tickets coming my way!

In reference to the “conversation” leading up to the tour running, originally the only Light Engine movement published to RTT (and similar) was the loco turning move at Battersea before heading back to Stewarts Lane. Taking that at face value l had a bit of a “mope” on. When l got the ticket letter, my mood lightened somewhat as our seats were in the carriage l wanted to be in (8 passenger carriages). Following that, given the updated information, my anticipation level greatly increased. The final part of the jigsaw prior to the tour was the late afternoon (friday) confirmation that 35028 had been passed fit to run.

Saturday morning came and with the aid of three separate alarms (just in case) l rose and was ready when my fellow traveller came round at 05:00 and were out of the house just after to catch the first train of the day (in both senses) at 05:25 with the sun having risen. For once, there was no advantage to be had by changing to a faster train, so we stayed on it to London. Sadly, it was remarked that – for the first time in many years – that there was no dog to be looked after at home. My original plan was to change at London Bridge for Waterloo East, but as time was plentiful we stayed on to London Blackfriars. This was a good call as navigating the South Bank meant seeing London bathed in glorious early morning sunshine.

We entered Waterloo station opposite the International Platforms to see the recently installed Windrush Monument a little after 07:00. We passed some of the time by going back outside so l could get an initial GPS fix. When we entered the station the first time l noticed that Platform 19 (our Platform) was occupied, which left as the 07:22 to Hounslow. The stock was due to get in at 07:43, but was not held at West London Junction and arrived (led by 47813) at 07:27 – much better as it gave more time for boarding. Passing the Class 47 there was the reassuring sign of a tail lamp on the end carriage. Something that l thought would be the case turned out to be true: as the last time these carriages were used was to Worcester having standard at the west (country) end (at Southall). No movements to change this could be discerned, so l was expecting standard to be at the front, which it most definitely was - a bonus as the train was to be like that all day. We did not attempt the get near the locomotive due to the narrow Platform was already packed so we boarded Coach G straight away. Another difference from the 2019 version is that we were sat the opposite side, something else l had hoped for.

Departure was on time at 07:52 with a couple of other trains for company. As we were on the Windsor Lines, we had to slow approaching Queenstown Road to be cleared to cross to the Main (Bournemouth) Line (Fast). With that done we began to accelerate, passing Clapham Junction (34), Earlsfield (49), Wimbledon (56) followed by a long whistle for the bridge(s) near West Junction. By Raynes Park we had our first visit to the sixties (64) and New Malden (65). We slowed to 55 through Berrylands to Surbiton (46), taking the Slow Line at Hampton Court Junction. We recovered to 59 at Esher to hold mid sixties through Hersham (63), Walton-on-Thames (64) and Weybridge (65). The Portsmouth train ahead of us was running late, so we slowed, passing Byfleet & New Haw (60) and West Byfleet (49) but were still on time arriving at Woking (8:27). Not long after leaving Waterloo we were informed that hot drinks could not be supplied to standard passengers as there was a fault with the boiler; thankfully the only boiler problem on the day.

Departure from Woking was a couple of minutes late (08:31) where we went into the forties before slowing to pass Brookwood (32) followed by acceleration to pass Farnborough (66) and on the (roughly) level hit the seventies for the first time, passing Fleet (73). We then hit 75 before slowing through Winchfield (60) to coast through Hook (53) five minutes early before coming to a stand before Basingstoke. This meant we were three minutes late arriving at Basingstoke (four late leaving at 09:12). With a generous allowance to Worting Junction we were one minute late turning onto the West of England Main Line (Basingstoke to Exeter). About 11 minutes from Basingstoke we passed Overton (70) then about three minutes later we passed through Whitchurch (75). After about 6 miles of mid-seventies we slowed to pass Andover (68). Seventy was reached before the uphill approach to Grateley meant that was passed at 65. After Grateley falling grades meant we returned to the mid-seventies before slowing for the approach to Salisbury where we arrived on time (09:51). Whilst at Salisbury Clan Line was watered and the shop by Platform 4 had a busy time serving hot drinks.

I am not too sure as to the reason for the delay in departing Salisbury (actually 10:22, seven minutes late). It appears that the Real Time arrival and departure times for Salisbury were manually inputted (“broadcasted” at 11:40). Six miles out we hovered around the mid to high sixties passing Tisbury (68) before slowing for the expected timetabled pathing stop at Gillingham. As we rolled into the station, still being about seven minutes behind the arrival time, the train we needed to pass was also entering in the opposite direction so we managed a non-stop pass (~5). We accelerated to the mid-forties, keeping this speed up the steeper section into Gillingham Tunnel. The descent from the tunnel saw us reach 75 again before slowing to climb through Templecombe (32). After the climb, downhill sections meant the speed had to be controlled, passing Sherborne at 77. Four or so miles later we had stopped at Yeovil Junction for a second water stop (from the Railway Centre). If they so desired, people could get off the train.

We left Yeovil Junction on time (11:29). Westward bound is uphill, so after the climb we went into the sixties before the rise through Crewkerne (56). Following that we continued on to the site of Chard Junction to then stop at the Signal Box (Ground Frame levers). By now we had met the rain that was heading east. After the following down train had overtaken and next up train passed we were off. During our time stationary the safety valve had lifted, and stayed open for a good distance after restarting. The falling grade through Axminster (59) meant we hit 70+ before the wet ascent of Honiton Bank. With a great soundtrack coming from the front the bank gradually made its presence felt with the final part meant that l recorded a speed of 39 (probably as the train entered Honiton Tunnel). I can believe that 40 was the entry speed, but - by a short distance - l cannot verify it. It must also be noted that power was consistently supplied throughout the climb with no slipping. From the tunnel it was a short run into Honiton for a pathing stop. Again, we could get off the train.

During the journey l expect someone had enquired to there not being a stop at Exeter Central. We were told that that this could not be done without delaying other trains. A feature of the journey (since Salisbury) was the overhanging vegetation being “trimmed” by the train. I think the Mark I carriage is wider at top window level than the more modern stock used on the line, but l suspect the main difference are the bits that allow the windows to be closed from the outside. I wonder if anybody in dining had some extra greenery land on their plate.

Leaving Honiton on time (12:57) the falling grade helped us up to 70 before slowing (uphill) to pass Feniton (53). The next section of downhill had us up to 67 at Whimple and 71 at Cranbrook. As we entered the outskirts of Exeter we slowed through Pinhoe (43) to come to a stand before Exmouth Junction. We were informed that this was for a late running Exmouth to Paignton service. After restarting we were five minutes late passing the Junction to cruise through St James’ Park and Exeter Central. During the journey we were clearly told that there was limited time at St Davids Station
    (three minutes) and impressed on us that the need to be ready for a timely disembarkation. This was important because they did not want to affect other services, which may count against them if the tour is to be attempted again. After the drop down to the Great Western Main Line we eased into St Davids at 13:34 (four minutes late). I wanted to catch the empty stock movement to Riverside North Yard, so we hurried to the car park the other side of Red Cow crossing. Anyway, haste turned out not to be needed because two trains departed north before the stock left at 13:50.

Our first destination in Exeter was The Imperial for lunch, which was just as busy as the last time. The food did not take much time to arrive, and after our “watering” had finished we made our way to the city centre. When we wandered to the Cathedral it appears that nothing has yet happened to the building (hotel) that was largely destroyed by fire in 2016. After that we made out way down to the quayside and when the time came to return to the station we followed the river to St Davids. Not long after we had the unexpected noise and sight of a Lancaster Bomber flying overhead. The information board gave “Charter Train” departing from Platform 5, so we headed there. After the Cross Country service to York had come and gone, the stock was propelled into the station a few minutes late. After boarding we departed at 16:42 (two minutes late).

Not long after leaving Exeter we got a telling-off because people were late boarding for some reason and that late departures may mean we may miss our planned “slot”. I must admit l was a little disappointed with the initial part of the section to Bristol: Tiverton was passed at 65 (in 2019 it was in the seventies) and Whiteball Tunnel was entered at 54. Things got much better with the descent taking us into the mid-seventies, passing Taunton (76) and Bridgwater (74). The route is more-or-less level for 23 miles, taking us past Highbridge & Burnham (75), Worle (74) and Yatton (74).
    We slowed on the incline to Flax Bourton Tunnel, passing Nailsea & Blackwell (71). Soon we reached the edge of Bristol and began braking, yielding a slowing 48 through Parson Street and 35 at Bedminster. As we neared Bristol Temple Meads there was a double-yellow signal (Bristol West Junction?) so we were spared having to wait outside the station. The stop (not actually timetabled) at Bristol Temple Meads was interesting because we came to a halt (17:53) with just the locomotive and the support coach at the platform. After a couple of minutes we moved forward so the whole train was in the platform. Looking at the GPS data we had a little over 46 miles of 70+ running: great stuff! There was talk of Exeter to Bristol being done in even time - well the GPS data gives a distance of 75.098 miles in 1.19 hours to the initial stop at Bristol, which yields an average of 63.05 mph. From Temple Meads it was a short “hop” to East Depot for a watering stop.

About 25 minutes later we were underway again. As we passed through St. Annes Cutting, the North side (about two thirds up) had what looked like a fireplace (rectangular recess) in it. I do not know the history of the area, nor why St. Annes Park No 1 Tunnel does not exist (No 2 and No 3 do). We accelerated away from Bristol, passing Keynsham (54) to reach 70 before braking nearing Oldfield Park (64) for the curve at Bath Spa (37). After leaving Bath we turned off the mainline towards Westbury at Bathampton Junction to follow the River Avon. I missed it, but apparently there was some skinny-dipping going on. We accelerated to line speed (60), easing for Freshford (52) and downhill to pass (blink and miss it) Avoncliff (56). Bradford-on-Avon was passed at 50 then Trowbridge (48) and slowed for Westbury. By then we had some rain – just in time for the steepest climb of the day to Upton Scudamore. With plenty of noise from the front we lost about 10 mph to pass Dilton Marsh (36) to reach the top of the bank without a slip with a minimum of 25. From there we passed Warminster (35) to travel through some picturesque landscape to rejoin the West of England Main Line at Wilton Junction. We were held for a short while outside Salisbury before advancing into Platform 4 for the second time that day. The hose was arranged for our final watering, and - as last time - there were bags of coal ready to top-up the tender. This time the coal was transferred in smaller sacks. These were lifted up at the rear of the tender and through the footplate. I do not know if this was practised beforehand but there were extra (young) help in place.

Departure was four minutes late at 20:20. We had the usual eastbound slip as the steam from the cylinder cocks dampened the rails. Leaving Salisbury we accelerated to the mid forties before slowing uphill to the mid thirties. The downhill through Grateley (54) meant we easily reached 75, passing Andover to generally climb to Whitchurch (63). We passed Overton (66) to then reach the seventies down a descent. We rejoined the Bournemouth Main Line at Worting Junction to stop at Basingstoke. After those who wanted to get off did, we left at 21:15 (a minute late).

Basingstoke to Woking (our next stop) is mostly downhill, so we reached 70 passing Hook and Winchfield (77) to slow for Fleet (64) and maintaining this, passing Farnborough (64). After slowing some more, we accelerated through Brookwood (46) before slowing for and stopping at Woking to disgorge more passengers. We had a six-minute stop timetabled here, which allowed a train running on the fast line to overtake. An on time departure (21:38) saw us cross to the fast line for a final charge towards London. By this time it was almost dark, but there was only a small percentage of the return journey remaining.

A slight falling grade helped us to pass West Byfleet (60) and Byfleet & New Haw (68) where we stayed (uphill) through Weybridge. Again, a slight downhill took us to Walton-on-Thames (74), Hersham (77) and Esher (77). We then cruised through Surbiton, Berrylands, New Malden and Raynes Park at 72. We slowed through Wimbledon (65) and braked passing Earlsfield (56) three minutes early. We slowed to walking pace before accelerating through Clapham Junction to Queenstown Road (48) and Vauxhall (48) having passed the Class 47 returning from its layover in Clapham Yard at Nine Elms Junction. It was not long until we eased back into London Waterloo at 22:11, a whole minute late. As we passed the front of the train there was a feeling of a job well done.

After a little time for buffer stop photographs, we began the journey home. I had previously written the options for getting home on some notepaper – thankfully the last possible option of leaving Waterloo at 23:24 was not needed. We tried to get the 22:21 from Waterloo East to London Bridge, but would have missed it, so caught one at 22:28. I worked out that it would just be possible to catch the same connection at London Bridge. Having noted the Platform we needed so, without checking, made the change to reach the top of the escalator with the train having stopped but the doors had not yet opened. With a little blind faith we got on: it was the correct train (22:35 to Brighton). The train was held before East Croydon, and even a small delay could mean we miss our plum connection (limited stop) later. It was when departing Gatwick Airport that l saw the next train due on the platform was that train. The next stop (Three Bridges) saw us changing platform to catch our final train of the day and about half an hour later we were home (a quarter to midnight).

My thanks to those who made the tour happen: West Coast Railways, Network Rail, the Railway Touring Company, other train operators if they were supportive, the Stewards and The MNLPS for providing Clan Line in fine fettle – it never disappoints. It definitely was a great tour. Now, when is Salisbury to Exeter going to be fully re-doubled!

Here is a picture of the train waiting to move forward to Exeter Riverside North Yard.

Ace2022.JPG

An interest thing l found whilst comparing the return planned timings of this and the 2019 version is that the moving time (starts to stops) are identical (4 hours 34 minutes) giving an average speed of 46.37mph (211.76 miles). The total journey time was 28 minutes slower in 2019, so even when stationary this time we were still moving 3mph faster as a result.

You can find attached the Portable Document Format ‘ACE 2022 Maps and Graphs.pdf’ which you may find useful. As a bonus, the following graph is a plot of the average speed between Exeter and Bristol (initial stop) as we progressed.

EXDtoBRI.jpg

I had hoped to complete this at least a day or two ago, but l got somewhat sidetracked with the goings-on in Westminster.

Cheers!
    -SC-

Attached Files:

4. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I can add a little bit of detail to that. One amusing thing as we left Waterloo was seeing the female driver of the Hounslow train running alongside us learning out of the cab chatting up the fireman. Driver Bill Monteith let the speed run down from Hook as we were early , they’re was no reason to hold us outside Basingstoke as we could see the platform was clear but apparently it’s quite common.
    Bill told me that he was planning to be slightly late at Gillingham with the intention of not stopping to get a run at the climb to Buckhorn Weston but without delaying the up train which seemed to work.
    The stop at Temple Meads was to change drivers, Andy Taylor was on the regulator from Exeter with Bob Baines taking over all the way back to Stewart’s Lane with a conductor driver to Salisbury as he hadn’t signed the route. Fireman Craig Stinchcombe was on from Exeter back to the Lane. I had the privilege of being on the footplate Bristol Yard to Salisbury and the climb to Upton Scudamore will be in the memory for a long time. For those who had been up since 03.30 that morning the help with the bags of coal at Salisbury was much appreciated. Definitely one of the best days I've had.

5. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    For the record none of my posts have been 'moans' - simply observations, coupled with notes that it seemed to be a good day.

6. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Did anyone actually "moan"?