If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Attack of the Drones

Discussion in 'Photography' started by david1984, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Have seen radio controlled aircraft go out of control when old illegal CB rigs have transmitted. Do the aircraft use different frequencies these days?

2. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    Yes they do. I believe 27MHz is now losing favour.

And for what it's worth, many years ago I'm reasonably sure that I inadvertently caused a model aircraft to crash on Epsom Downs as a result of me transmitting on the 144MHz amateur band.

Also, flying model aircraft was banned on Epsom Downs some years ago by the statutory authority in charge of the Downs after (from memory) a horse rider was badly injured by a model aircraft flying out of control. I mention this as someone has previously raised the point about whether landowners are able to prohibit the operation of model aircraft overflying their property.

Chris

3. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

As the YouTube link that's been posted illustrates the possibilities for video are immense, just think S&C for instance, Ribblehead, Dandry Mire all the way up Mallerstang etc.

I might even try one myself at THIS price. ;)

4. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Model aircraft and other r/c controlled models generally use 2.4GHz. these days. Smaller transmitters and receivers and better range with less other r/f interference.

5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I can tell you one thing the smaller ones are extremely diffcult to fly with any accuracy. As one of the reviewers says, even in the still environment of a room, they drift. Outside in a slight breeze it's a constant battle to keep stable at low speeds. Yes I've had one and tried for ages to become proficient, but you are hampered with the short battery life, 5 or 6 minutes, you are just getting the hang of it and the power drops off and it comes to earth. Batteries take at least an hour to recharge so even with two you don't get very much flying time in.
    Maybe the larger and much more expensive ones have some sort of computer controlled stability system, they would certainly need it.
    2nd man in a microlight is much more fun....:rolleyes:

6. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    That's an interesting comment. o_O

I myself have a valid transmitting licence that entitles me to transmit voice, data or television at up to 400 watts RF output in the 2,4GHz band. Good luck with your drone. ;)

Chris

7. JFlambo

JFlambo New Member

It's all fun and games until in ten years time we're all trying to edit drones out of pictures ;)

Jamessquared likes this.
  8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

I've seen drone film at the Bluebell, but haven't yet personally seen one from the footplate.

At the moment, what little film I have seen seems to have been taken relatively responsibly, i.e. from a decent distance. However, I suspect it can only be a matter of time before someone tries to get the ultimate in "close up" shots, skimming along just in front of the train, or alongside the cab. I wonder how long it will be before there is a collision between drone and train? You'd suspect the drone would come off worse, but even so, it could be a bit unnerving.

Seems to me that this is another area where an irresponsible minority could ruin things for the responsible majority. A collision or two between a drone and a train, or a near miss, might make railways reconsider line side access for all photographers, static or airborne...

Tom

9. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

I guess I should have said that most new products for controlling models -boats, aircraft, trains and so on - seem to use the 2.4 GHz. frequency range. The 27 Mhz, equipment was dropped a few years ago by most manufacturers but is still used by many. I can't speak of the other aircraft frequencies that are allocated. As with all radio transmissions, licensed or otherwise, we are advised to avoid interference to others as you will know.
    I also have a valid UK transmitting licence which I have held since 1983. I also have many associates, both sides of the Atlantic, using the 2.4 GHz. frequency who are controlling their model railways - usually without issue. I have never seen, on any model railroad fora - here or Stateside -any reports of interference in recent years. 27 Mhz., particularly when CB was more popular than today, did cause some problems in more built up areas to some modelers but not to me. I still use 27 Mhz, but of course I am never transmitting on the 10m. band and running my garden railroad at the same time. ;)
    I do not have a drone and have no intention of ever owning one.

10. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

There's some information on the legal aspects of drone usage written about <here>.

But in essence if the video/photos are to be used for a commercial purpose then the person flying the drone must hold a civil pilot's license.
    There are also limits on how close a drone can be flown to other people: 150 metres from congested events and large assemblies, 50 metres from a person or building, and must remain within line of sight from the person controlling it - which means 500 metres horizontally and 400 metres vertically.

I don't know whether a moving train would be classed the same as a structure (50m) or be viewed more stringently as per the 150 metre rule, but the CAA have issued warnings and instigated legal proceedings against people for flying drones irresponsibly (ie. in contravention of the rules).

11. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

And the commercial thing does include youtube ads.

12. Nvincer

Nvincer New Member

Officially 100 metres from a vehicle moving which isn't under your control.

I have a drone which I have used at the KESR and the Romney and they are great fun, incredibly easy to control and allow some great shots to be collected. It has built in stabilisation and safety features built in. I have fitted mine with propellor guards for when I am filming near the 50m limit of other people or objects. I am sure the majority of drone users are (and will continue to be) sensible.

I (and the majority) am also very aware of those around me/us. If I saw someone else with a camcorder or a camera I wouldn't dream of flying in front of them in the same way I wouldn't stand in front of someone taking a picture to take a picture of my own. However, I fully understand that the noise of the propellers may spoil others videos which is why I try and find different areas to fly on, but in the event of being in an area with another person with a camcorder surely the best thing to do is just communicate between each other rather than threatening to 'shoot down'?

There is lots of space by railways and plenty of room for photographers, video cameras and drones.

If anyone would like to see how easy they are to control and keep safe (I have never flown before) I would be happy to show anyone who wanted to. Just send me PM.

13. bakabung

bakabung Well-Known Member

Cat servant
  14. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

the GWSR also had one visit for a few days:

Love the music to this one, there's one of Thomas on the line somewhere on YouTube too.

I haven't seen enough of them to form much of an opinion about them really, but they do give brilliant footage.

15. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

Just thought, if these quadcopter thingies become de rigeur will it mean the end of step ladders? :eek:

Shep Woolley likes this.
  16. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

It'll be the end of railway photography as we know it with all these things flying around.

Worse than a swarm of wasps! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

alrohomer likes this.
  17. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Nope, they will be replaced by taller ones to recover the drones from the trees.

Jamessquared likes this.
  18. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

Correct, but as far as I understand it, this only applies if the pilot is charging for their services.

One amazing development in camera tech is the stabilisers used in drones, which have in turn been adapted into hand-held mounts like the MoVI seen here:

Very stable and more flexible than a normal steadicam mount.

Quite a few have used drones to rescue other RC toys :)

19. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Could be another "Stairway to Heaven" ?

20. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Im not sure drones will ever replace step ladders- they are crap for standing on to change bulbs.

Chris

Spamcan81 likes this.