If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bachmann.

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by southernman, Dec 11, 2007.

1. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

Why is it, Hornby have 5 pole motors in their models which work effortlessly with a decent load behind them.
    Yet Bachmann have gone back to 3 pole? Ive always had problems with my Bachmann engines not performing as well as Hornby.

2. williamfj

williamfj New Member

Student
    Could it be that Hornby have a patent on the 5-pole motor? :-k

3. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    There are pleanty of other design for 5-pole motors knocking about. I suspect it might be a way of reducing costs, but I don't see how they can save that much.

Regards,

Dan

4. 34069

34069 New Member

Private
    Hi, I dont suppose this will help you with the bachmann problem but there's a guy on ebay who sells 7 pole motors to replace Xo3/4 type. I've bought a few of these & they are great replacements for tri-ang & hornby loco's. the guy's ebay handle is sqiudkaye123, he doesn't have them all the time but it's worth checking his site from time to time, just add him to your favorites in ebay. Cheers. Del.

5. southernman

7 pole bl**dy hell
    must lift the side of the house off... Well its only my STD 5's and my 80000 tank that really struggle. Has anyone else had problems with the 73's or 80000 tanks? I might consider looking into those motors?

are they the same size and do they require any adjustments to the chassis block to fit them??

6. streak

streak New Member

I noticed the same thing with my second class 4 tank and green standard 5.
    I think they are under geared as well which makes the motor turn fast to get anything approaching a decent speed.
    Later models of other classes dont seem to suffer and my first class 4 tank doesnt either but the motor is different in that one.
    It put me off buying any more standard 5s and I bought black 5s instead

7. RSJim

RSJim New Member

I have both a standard 5 and 4 tank, they both seem under powered. The railway that they run on has sharp curves and climbs quite well out the station but they both seem to struggle with more then 4 coaches on. My Hornby locos are better and this is putting me of getting the new standard 4 and Jubilee. As it has been said in an earlier post how easy is it to swap motors on these locos because I would really like to use them more?
    Thanks for the info.

8. southernman

So are there any remedy's to this under geared problem?
    Being a Southern modeler STD 4 tanks are pretty much the norm along with Ivatt 2 tanks. It seems really odd that my Ivatt 2 tank will out perform my STD 4 tank.

I would love to know any remedy's for this problem because I am desperate for BOTH my standard 5's to perform as the prototype does.

9. 34069

34069 New Member

Private
    Hi, Re the 7 pole motors,as i said they are a replacment for XO3/4 tri-ang motors so i would imagine you would have to do quite a bit of chassis work on bachmann loco's, i have'nt tried one yet but will have a go when i come across a knackered bachmann chassis! To fit them you need an etched motor mount but it's all straightforward enough providing you're happy with your modelling skills!! Cheers for now.Del.

10. southernman

I know its digging up old topics from a few pages back.

Doing some maintenance on my Std 5s and my Southern mogul (both Bachmann locos) they seem to have the same motor, the same pick ups but the mogul will always out perform the Std 5 which prototypically is untrue. IS there anyway that I could get hold of a motor out of a Bachmann Mogul and put it in the Std 5 because I would love it if my std 5s could lift more than 4 coaches?!

11. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

apparently its to do with axle springing and you need to cut them down a bit i think

12. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

It seems a trend to me that the newer Bachmann loco's with that newer kind of tender Drawbar have more erractic perfomance than the older types.

My Hall & A1 have power, no doubt of that but slow speed performance is erratic compared to the standard 4 (4-6-0), Manor, 56XX & Royal Scot

13. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I just bought the model of 76079 and theres hardly any power to it, the most i've been able to have on it is 4 coaches without it slipping.

14. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    My 73110 Red Knight is a pretty poor hauler. Even my Hornby M7 30031 makes a better job of five coaches on my layout! I think there's poor traction with the model, and could benefit from a bit more weight up front. But the motor is also an issue, and I think a Hornby 5-pole would improve things considerably. The Bachmann N class and 9F are excellent haulers, and do not seem to notice rolling resistance in the same way as the Class 5 does. As for my Std. 4MT (T) (incidentally, its 80002), I don't use it nearly enough, but its not too bad with four on. The only issue is that I can't reverse it over points without giving it a helping hand, as the rear bogie always rides over the check-rails. Does anyone else suffer from this?

15. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Check the wheel back to backs if you haven't already. My 76079 had the same problem until I compared the front wheels from 76079 & 80032 and I found that 76079s were 3mm out causing her to derail on points. If it's not that try adding more weight to the bogie and see if that helps

16. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I'll have a go at measuring them. It's times like this that I need a cradle for upside-down work. I'll probably make my own out of wood. Anyway, cheers for the suggestion!