If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bagnall Meyer locomotives

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Jordan-Leeds, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Jordan-Leeds

Jordan-Leeds New Member

Does anyone have any detailed photos of monarch and the other bagnall meyer locomotives and more specificly does anyone knoe of any archive material about them photos, drawings and such like?

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  3. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Am I right in thinking that there is a 2'0" gauge example in the States?

4. 48DL

48DL Member

I thought there was a 2'0" gauge one in 'collection X'

5. Selsig

Selsig Member

Both right. There is one at the Victor and Cripple Creek Railroad in Colorado (which I think is either W/No. 3014 or 3015 of 1953 - she certainly has the later pattern tanks as fitted to, as far as I know, only these two and Monarch) their No. 4 http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1444398755040710043TsxOct and another one (Renishaw No. 5 W/No. 2545 of 1936) with the Rampton collection. This loco, a much earlier build than the other 2, seems to have vastly larger tanks, judging by the works photo seen in the IRS article mentioned earlier.

6. Piper2011

Piper2011 New Member

Retired
    Monarch is still at Welshpool as far as I know, how about a trip to Wales for some photography? I am going as soon as I can spare the time!

Donald Binns has a book entitled "Meyer Articulated Locomotives - The definitive History" ISBN 1.900095.07.6 which is very useful.

I am in touch with a chap in South Africa who is preparing drawings of the meyer locos that went from Bagnalls to the sugar cane plantations. I have attached a picture from one of his drawings. I hope to build one of these in 7 1/4" Gauge when I have finished my current loco.

Hope this is useful.

Update 21/2/2011

Since posting this last night I have heard from my South African friend and you may like to follow this link:
    http://www.sandstone-estates.com/in...g/174-garry-barnss-bagnall-meyer-in-7-114qgge

Attached Files:

7. djcb

djcb New Member

Bagnall Meyer (modified) Monarch.
    djc
    It may be of interest that I built Monarch in 5" gauge ie 1/6 full size, between 1976 and 1982.
    The loco performs quite well, however it is not to exhibition quality but has a number of engineering mods to ensure reliable running. PICT2343.JPG

8. Selsig

Selsig Member

Stunning! I've been after building a 7 1/4" gauge version for quite some time, would you be able to make the drawings available at all (same question to Piper2011)

9. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    A very interesting site which points out that these locos are definitely not Meyers. They were a new design which attempted to produce a powerful yet compact locomotive. so let's give credit where it's due and refer to them as Bagnall Articulateds.

See from the above website: 'These Bagnall locomotives have been described by various writers as Garratts, Fairlies, Malletts and Meyers, but strictly speaking they are a design on their own, bearing some resemblance to the Garratt in that the boiler, cab, water tank and coal bunker are mounted on a common frame which is carried on the two power bogies. It will be noticed that the Bagnall engine is more compact and that the bogies are under the boiler.'

So let's give credit where it's due and refer to them as Bagnall Articulateds.

Meic

10. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

11. Piper2011

Piper2011 New Member

Retired
    As soon as I have more information on the availability of 7 1/4" drawings I will let you know. So far I have established that I can obtain the drawings in a format which I can read into my 3D CAD software ( called Spaceclaim, like Solidworks only better ). But I am not sure when my friend in South Africa will be in a position to finish the drawings as he is busy with another loco at present.

12. djcb

djcb New Member

I have prints from the original Monarch drawings,

13. Piper2011

Piper2011 New Member

Retired
    Hi djcb, How do we get in contact? I can't send you a message yet because as a newcomer to this website I can't send messages until I have posted a number of replies or new threads. Bit frustrating! From the replies to this thread there may be a number of people who are in the same position. Selsig for one. Regards, Piper2011

14. djcb

djcb New Member

piper2011.The prints I have are large dimensioned assembly/sectioned ones and will be difficult to get copied and probably quite expensive. however that is not necessarily a major problem. As you say we are currently unable to contact each other . however if you have at least 5 posts I think then we are able to get in touch. So keep in touch, any technical questions you have about my Monarch I will answer if I can.

15. Piper2011

Piper2011 New Member

Retired
    Hi djcb, Thanks for the reply. Interested to know where the drawing masters are and how accessible they are. I realise printing can be expensive. I am hoping to get the CAD drawings from my friend in South Africa, once I have got the CAD drawings then life becomes a lot easier. My SA contact has access to some of the old sugar plantation locos and they are very similar except the gauge is 2ft not Monarch's 2ft6in. What gauge are you working to, 7 1/4"? I think my SA man got some drawings for the UK but I am not clear where they came from. I believe they scanned originals and produced a CD of PDFs which would still involve a manual transfer into CAD.
    Regards,
    Piper2011

16. djcb

djcb New Member

Hi Piper2011
    the prints that I have were obtained from Bagnalls when they were still in business. My Monarch is 5" gauge scaled as 1/6th full size and weighs approx 4cwt (203 kilos). I produced my own detail drawings but unfortunately they are not available.
    Does anyone know whether Bagnall docs were archived perhaps at NRM York?
    I have discovered that Bagnall docs are in the Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent archive office.