If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Baldwin "Lyn" new build.

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Meiriongwril, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

just talk I reckon

lynbarn, 30854 and ghost like this.
  2. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Too right. For pity's sake..... there are three CDR 2-6-4Ts and the T&D 2-6-2T (and a couple of miles of it's home line) lying around in varying stages of dereliction, at least 2 of which are dismantled with next to no prospect for early restoration.

There was also talk of C&L "Lady Edith" being repatriated from across the pond. Anyone know what, if anything, is occurring there?

lynbarn likes this.
  3. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Narrow Gauge new builds - now there's a topic for a new thread. Well, the wide boys & girls have a new build thread on the Steam Traction sub-forum!

Ongoing, and desired, perhaps?

lynbarn likes this.
  4. 30854

Retired
    A reasonable suggestion, though projects for established lines tend to lurk under the title of the relevant line. Evidence suggests use of the search facility before starting threads isn't exactly universal. Even the Corris and Southwold "own" more than one thread. In the first case, I started one for Corris stock (as the only other CR thread referred specificaly to trackbed issues), in the second, a search threw up an appropriate thread header dormant for several years.

5. Reading General

I asked Jackie Whelan to his face if he had purchased Lady Edith and the three coaches in the US and he confirmed he had. He told me they would not arrive at Moyasta until the museum building was ready to receive them. It sounds like a working future is not envisaged in the short term.

6. 30854

Retired
    Fantastic news! Sounds like a realistic plan. I know the loco has steamed in preservation, but it'll be interesting to see a full condition report when the kit gets to Co Clare.

7. Reading General

I'll believe it when the ship lands tbh

8. 30854

Retired
    and there's me thinking I'm the only resident cynic! To be fair to Jackie, when push comes to shove, the track record at Moyasta ain't bad.

9. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    I know this might sound selfish, but I hope that before any restoration work is carried out on Lady Edith, some one will beable to get to do a 3D scan of her it will answer so many questions from a modelling and heritage point of view.

I believe she was fitted with the mainline cab, where as Kathleen is fitted with a tramway cab, It would be great to get accurate details from both locos even if it is just for heritage records at this stage.

30854 likes this.
  10. 30854

Retired
    Damned good idea. Do you belong to the Irish NG Yahoo! group? Mostly modelling (principally 15, 5.5 and 4mm scale) related, but a jolly civilised bunch.

11. lynbarn

Yes I am, I know sometime ago Matthew Labine was hoping to do something with Lady Edith while she was in America, sadly as you may know Matthew has a serious health issue and is asking for someone to take over as Moderator of that group. But yes the self interest is to do with that group, also It may have something to do with the fact that I have five unbuild Backwood kits, I have been in contact with Simon deSouza and we both agree that while the Backwoods kits are all there is at the moment, the model was based on non accurate drawings, the basic sizes are correct but it is just the details that need updating, more so both types of cabs.

Since Backwoods are in the process of being sold it is not possible to obtain any more 00n3 kits from them, so until we know who has purchased the range the best we can do is to draw up new drawings based on site surveys, as both locos will have been modified since they where both built, it is hoped that we can back engineer some new drawings to be able to up date a new 00n3 loco kit.

Well that is the plan at this moment in time.

12. 30854

Retired
    I post under my own name on the group. Horrible news about Matthew though good to see all the mesages of support for one of the good guys. It's all so civilised there that it's easy to forget there's a moderator.

I wasn't aware of the situation with Backwood. Do you happen to know if there have been any developments with the "Meridian" range, which was up for grabs last I heard?

Back to 12"/ft, I remember our fellow member 'Avonside' telling me,
    at Dromod 20 years ago, that there was more chance of getting 'Lady Edith' back from The States than getting 'Kathleen' out of Cultra. Looks like he was spot on!

lynbarn likes this.
  13. Reading General

He has done well in his rather unique style. 5C steams on high days and holidays (or if you pay for the coal), the only Irish CIE ng loco to do so. It's a fine loco and the track must be pretty good as it's a lovely smooth ride. Short of volunteers and visitors, it's an object lesson in the can-do attitude. Planning consent for the level crossing and (I think) museum building have been granted, just a matter of building it and shipping in the exhibits. I don't think there will be much done to Lady Edith for a while. (we're well off topic and it's mostly my fault....)

Hoping to see Lyn in October... is it on schedule?

lynbarn and 30854 like this.
  14. lynbarn

To get back on thread with Lyn yes she is and the last thing I heard was she is in the paint shops as we speak so hopefully she will be moved to Devon sometime in September to give the regular volunteers a chance to look over her before her big day at the end of September.

The last lyninformation http://762club.com/762lynformation58.php is available here.

30854 likes this.
  15. lynbarn

On a modelling point of view Backwoods are in the middle of being sold to a new owner and as far as I know there was no tie up with Meridian Models, that said most if not all of the Meridian Model range has been taken over by different members of the Greenwich and District NGRS and are now available from Narrow Planet http://narrowplanet.co.uk/

If it is not on the website it will be due to the lack of stock from an outside supplier, new 009 wheelset's will be available later this year.

I hope this helps

30854 likes this.
  16. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

17. 30854

Retired
    Looking good.... nice colour.... the bit you can see behind all that masking. It's a sort of 'reverse striptease'!

Really looking forward to #60 ...... due to reasons mentioned at the end of #59. :)

Let's hope this magnificent acheivement sees Lyn's launch (in just a very few weeks now) in the blaze of publicity that it thoroughly deserves..... which wouldn't do the prospects for the L&B's extension plans any harm either.

18. GWR Man.

GWR Man. Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    What I have been told by the one who is going to be trained to be the fireman for this engine today, the engine will be delivered in under a fortnight time during the hours the railway is closed with the idea that only the ones who are involved in moving the engine knows when it is taking place, so it is in time for the driver/fireman to be trained up for this engine.

lynbarn likes this.
  19. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

It's already going to the L&B that soon? Not that I have a problem with that of course, I just thought there was plans to test it out thoroughly on the WHR first, to properly test out it's capabilities, but then again these plans were most likely laid out on the assumption Lyn would be completed much earlier then when it is now actually now intended to be. Perhaps it can visit there another time, I'm sure many would like to see how it compares to Lyd.

20. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

As reported earlier in this thread, the WHR rumour was ill-founded. It may well go there for trials eventually but was always going to Woody Bay first.