If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Baldwin "Lyn" new build.

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Meiriongwril, Jan 25, 2009.

1. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    There was one company in the States a few years back, claiming to be the successors to BLH and I did try to contact them at the time, but the owner did not get back to me.

As for suing the trust over building a copy of a loco from a company that no longer exists, I think anyone who wanted to would need to have more money to throw around than the cost of doing this one loco.

I wonder how Bachmann and Hornby get on for permission to produce there models of prototypes from companies long gone?

Regards

lynbarn

2. Surely the patents have expired its like hunslet and hudswell they copied each others locos

3. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    I thought they just bought the companies out?

4. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

And I have to say the website is just Fab! Great galleries and video clips, history and design details. \:D/

C'mon folks - if you've not signed up for a share, now's the time to do so - get 'em while they're hot!!

Felix Holt likes this.
  5. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

It is indeed a really good website - I had no idea LYN was the most powerful L and B locomotive!

6. lynbarn

what a lot of people don't realise is that Lyn was built in the same year as the two Na class originals

Regards

Lynbarn

7. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes, but there were considerable differences - It would be interesting to know what, if any, common components were used. I've started a table of vital statistics of the two types on the web site - here - If anyone knows any further details, please do let me know.

8. lynbarn

Hope the extra infomation is of use

regards

Colin

9. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    (Oops! I seem to have two different profiles on this group - must see if I can merge them!)

To see some of the visual differences between Lyn and the nA Baldwins, there is a very good drawing available on the 762 Club gallery HERE courtesy of David Fletcher from Melbourne

10. lynbarn

That is a nice piece of art work Martyn, I have just come across some photos of other narrow gauge Baldwins I have sent an email to the owner to see if he will let me post them here as well

regards

Lynbarn

11. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Re: Baldwin "Lyn" new build

To update those interested: the new build Lyn scheme is within spitting distance of having sold 25% of the required shares. This is a fantastic achievement considering the time the scheme has been going. If another 20 or so of you would enrol in the scheme we'd be at that first main milestone!
    Remember, you don't have to cough up the entire amount in one go; payment of around twenty-five quid a month for 30 months will do the trick.

If you'd like to contribute, please check out www.762club.com

Felix Holt likes this.
  12. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Re: Baldwin "Lyn" new build

Quick update:
    the 762 club (www.762club.com) has now sold 20% of the shares needed to build a new Baldwin 'Lyn' - in under 6 months!

Of course, the more we sell, the quicker we'll see 'Lyn' running on narrow gauge metals!
    Please visit the website and consider buying a share - remember you'll then be part owner of a steam loco =D>

Felix Holt likes this.
  13. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    I'd buy some shares, or at least do something toward helping, if it wasn't so darned expensive! I'd love to see Lyn steaming again but I, like a lot of people, just cannot shell out that much money at the moment! If only there were a cheaper alternative...

14. lynbarn

Well hopefully soon there will be. The team behind LYN are taking on board comments made at Eastleigh and other venues.

Obviously at this stage the set up cannot be changed and it will still have to be 350 group members, but with people donating to the project and not taking out a share it has become difficult to account for these donations, one suggestion is to group all these smaller donations into one share which is then managed by a trust representative.

As a matter of fact the Trust will own the loco anyway. But the group has been set up to bring together all those like minded people who want to see a new Baldwin on the L&BR.

There is of course, an outside possiblity, that this could all change at some time in the future, should other sources of funding come on line as well.

regards

Colin R

15. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

^^^ Which one is it? ^^^

I think it might also be useful to have something on the website stating (or preferably showing) the condition that she will be built to, and the livery/liveries(?) she will run in.

£266,700 would be raised if all shares are sold but the website states that 'In addition there is a list of items both large and small which can be sponsored. This will enable you to provide components and assist the project in the short construction period.' Does this mean that even if all shares are sold that there would still be a funding shortfall?

Please note - I'm not 'having a go' at the project - just interested to find out all the facts.

Keith

16. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

I think Colin used Trust in mistake for the 762 Club. The site clearly says: "The 762 Club has been formed to construct, own and maintain a replacement Baldwin 2-4-2 - also named LYN of course - for operation on the renascent Lynton & Barnstaple Railway. This is your chance to become a part owner of the new locomotive and to ensure that LYN is completed in as short a time as possible - less than three years" So, the Club owns the loco and by buying a share you become a member of the club and thus part owner.

As to livery etc, the site states 'We are building a new locomotive which will have all the appearance of the original - in the condition that it returned from a rebuild at Eastleigh works in 1929. ' Of course, if you don't know the loco's history this is a tad opaque. But it will be in Southern livery with '762' on the side: like the picture on the opening page of the club site.

In terms of cash it'll be closer to 320,000+ quid, as most shares bought by UK taxpayers attract extra percentage through the charity tax system. Overseas share owners (like me) don't get this, so the final figure is a guesstimate.
    As the site notes, over and above this, some components will be sponsorable - we need to wait a little while to see this list and work out the estimated total cost of the loco.

As for folk who can't afford a share (even spread out of 30 months which is possible), the idea floated of several supporters clubbing together to buy a share between them is a good one. How this is administered may need to be clarified, but a private agreement between friends to do this would I'm sure be acceptable - the difficulty might lie in whether one membership can be in a group's name or whether one person would have to be named.

Thanks for the support out there - this is an exciting project!! =D>

Felix Holt likes this.
  17. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    Snipped where necessary....

This is not the first time that the ownership of the locomotive has been queried. Keith (ghost), Martin (Meiriongwril) and Colin (lynbarn); I know that each of you subscribes to the L&B email group hosted by Yahoo. You may wish to remind yourselves of what was said previously, by referring to messages 12949 to 12954 inclusive, and 12957 and 12958. Note that two of those posters were appointed Trustees and/or Directors.

Chris

18. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Thanks Chris - I have just reread those messages and I'm afraid I'm still confused!

It appears that if I buy a share at £762, then £761 goes to the L&B Trust and £1 goes to the 762 club for a share in the loco. Is that correct?

If this is the case, then how does the £761 get transferred back from Trust to 762 club? Or does the Trust pay for the loco to be built using this money and then 'gift' the loco to the club? There seems to be a possibility that the Trust could end up owning the loco (or the finance for it), even though X number of people have bought ownership shares and believe themselves to be the owners. Or am I reading too much into things?

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow, it all seems a bit overcomplicated to me!

Keith

19. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

If I recall, this somewhat arcane procedure is so that the relevant tax refunds can be obtained through the Trust (that is registered for such things). Considering the statement on the club website that the Club (and this its members) will own the loco, we must assume that there's a mechanism whereby the loco's ownership is retained by the club. I don't think that has yet been spelt out by the L&B - perhaps these exchanges will prompt some clarification?

Felix Holt likes this.
  20. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    Why should you be any different from the rest of us?

That is indeed what is stated in the second paragraph of page 3 in the Club 762 booklet.

Those are areas that are not clearly defined and consequently I'm unable to answer those questions.

Chris