If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Barry 10

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 61624, May 10, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm sure he's sure. I'm sure, too. For starters, the coupled wheelbase of the 80XXX is 7'-7" + 7'-9" c/w the 75XXX at 7'-0" + 8'-0" and the latter has a three bar crosshead as against a two bar on the tank. The boilers are similar but the 75XXX is longer.

2. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    The 70XXXs, 72XXXs and 73XXXs have the same motion components except for the trailing coupling rods on the 73XXXs. The valve gear components, with a slight dimensional difference on the return crank rod hole centres, slidebars and crossheads are also used on the 75XXXs except for the return crank. The return crank on the 75XXXs is the same as that used on the 76XXXs, 77XXXs, 80XXXs and 82XXXs.

3. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    I Wouldnt get too enthusiatic about the Standard tank being in good nick
    It needs All its motion
    There is a foot Square patch on the inner firebox left hand side
    The tyres are knackered
    It really is a knackered boiler, knackered wheels a set of rusty frames with cylinders ......thats ya lot
    Still its a start , money and time will put it right

4. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Isn't 506 being done by the S15 group though rather than the MHR, so surely is only taking space in the workshop rather than manpower?

And what about 35005? It does seem she will be sitting in the headshunt for some time as quite a few locomotives now seem to be in front of her in the queue. I was hoping an overhaul wasn't too far away as i've read quite a few times the funds were already there for overhaul.

828 also seems a bit quiet and i haven't heard any news regarding 41312 since being withdrawn?

5. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

A bit off topic, but related to the MHR's (unconfirmed) acquisition; In light of the heavy overhaul work that seems to be required on 76017 and possibly similar work required on 34105, does the MHR need to consider an 'Engine House' type facility before recently withdrawn locos like 35005 and 41312 end up in a similar condition? I know that such a scheme will require lots of money. land etc, but is it even being considered? Has the MHR got any long term plans to keep most (all?) its locos and stock undercover, which is something the SVR has pretty much done and other lines (GWSR, WSR, Bluebell) are doing to differing extents.
    Discuss! (and no 'my railway is better than yours' bashing please!)

Keith

6. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I guess the first question has to be "where could they put it?". It's probably no coincidence that thiose railways with the best provision are either very long established or have plenty of space. The MHR certainly doesn't.

7. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    The only option i can see, would be to extend the headshunt at Ropley to about 1000 ft long and then build a single track shed across it, along its entire length.

Obviously this would entail some earthworks to enable the siding extension to go further east and maybe some slewing of the track over further away from the running line, but looking at google earth it could be possible.

However, regarding public access to view the locos in store, that maybe would be a problem, unless there was a walkway on the south side of the shed with a fenced footpath access down from near Bighton Lane Bridge.

I guess the biggest problem however would be money, a 1000ft long shed albeit single road, is not going to be cheap. Planning permission would also maybe difficult.

However it would probably save a lot of money in the longer term in stopping deterioration to the stored locos. 76017`s overhaul would probably be well underway by now with a lot less platework replacement needed if it had been stored undercover.

8. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

It might be better to remove the cranes and sleeping coaches from the end of the yard at Alton and build a shed there. At a guess there would be room for at least half a dozen locomotives. The cranes could be relocated to Ropley which might be more convenient anyhow. The problem though is that the railway is very constrained for land, and it isn't easy to see where more could be added / gained. It might be possible to excavate the cutting north of Bighton bridge to get another siding in there, but probably quite expensive for the amount gained.
    Given the space constraints and the cost of adjoining land might a potential solution be to consider establishing an off site storage facility rather as Southern Steam have their workshops close by but not at the Swanage? Have a big clear out of all the stuff not required for a while and thus be able to manage the operating and under restoration stuff better.

9. OldChap

OldChap Member

As a former working member of the MHR I do not have the most uptodate information on the subject of both 80150 and or addition land in which to expand, however...

80150 - Well I remember seeing this locomotive at Barry in the late 80's and thought she was a mess then, nothing much has been done to her since then and will require a enomous amout of work and money to steam again. I for one would have passed on that one even though she was a local engine running all her short life on the Southern. The railway have enough locomotives in the overhaul pipeline even after Mr Bunch's fleet lease expires on Jan 1st 2015

Expansion Land - The only realistic area for expansion now is Butts Jct. However the old Meon Valley line embankment was removed in the late 60's early 70's so the stub of the line sits many yards above the fields that now reoccupy the old formation. If a substantial piece of the ajoining field was purchased (assuming the owner wished to sell) and a huge amout of spoil could be brought in by rail and the area 'leveled' to some extent (I would assume that the new 'Meon Valley Line' would drop down on an incline to a level lower that the old formation to a leveled area) then this could be a interesting area to be developed by the railway.

What would be the most best use for this new/reclaimed Meon Valley formation? well I say a station built at the furthest end of the new land with a viewing area up to the Mid Hants line for the photter and griser types. This would a allow a shuttle to and from Alton and give another string to the railways bow, and something to do for some smaller engines with perhaps a vintage carriage or two in tow. Once this was established then install that bloody turntable! Finally a large as possible carriage shed to secure as much stock out of the weather as possible, and if any room is avaliable SVR style Engine House would be final addition.

Now lets talk about double track back to Alton and the rebuilding Butts box with a power frame and pneumatic LSWR LQ's such as the ones that graced the Basingstoke section... okay I'll shut up now;-)

10. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

at the moment i expect that whats left of the engine will be stored untill the engines owned by MrBunch have departed , plus dont forget that 60019 is due to depart the line , that should free up space , i should expect that by then, 76017 should have almost be ready, the black five running and 75079 not far off so the overhaul queue shouldnt be so bad, who knows there might even be space to fit the 80xx in before then, once the U and both 5's are out, then i expect work to start on 76017 Donald i dont think will be much of a priority and much of the work i assume is boiler work i for one wonder if the decision might be to do the mechanical work on 76017 and 80150 side by side, easier to take measurements and fabricate parts, if you happen to have the same part ready to hand and plus mechanical work is no where near as expensive to do as the boiler work

11. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

What turntable? It's been swapped for the 80150. Why put stock in the Meon loop or the Meon spur area. Or even consider building a storage area for out of service locos/rolling stock when there is a constant issue with local vandals and tagger’s. I hear that the head shunt at Ropley will be extended

12. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

I read most of these comments as referring to a storage shed, rather than simply sidings, thereby removing much of the problems with 'vandals and taggers'. Surely it should be an aspiration to have as much stock as possible undercover, given the reductions this can entail on overhaul costs as well as the obvious security benefits?

13. Widge

Widge New Member

This and that
    The excellent news about 80150 is now on the Mid Hants website, so it's official. Complete basket case it may be (and I've heard it described as "frames, wheels and half a boiler)" , but this is still a smart bit of business by Colin Chambers whichever way you look at it. When 80150 finally emerges from Ropley Works, she will be virtually a new (and potentially extremely useful) engine; no worn-out parts spruced up with a coat of paint there.
    Can't wait to do some work on it.

14. 73129

Yes I agree with you about putting stock under cover but using the Meon spur is a vandal’s paradise. Far better to keep all rolling stock and locos away from this area.

15. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

i agree the Meon spur has always has been a vandals paradise mount pleasent bridge for one and that cutting leading to alton station , leave anything there and it would be tagged, wrecked or burnt out very quickly far better to clear out any junk at ropley that is never likily to be restored any wagons can be moved to medstead so that room can be found for the tank for the short term but i still think that it would make sense to mechanically restore the three standards at the same time prehaps leaving the boiler from 80150 till later, unless it turns out to not be so bad a job , after all once the chassis is done , and finished it could always be stopped and re started when funds allow

16. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    I argee that under-cover storage would be best thing for locos. At Swanage we only have the old LSW shed and then there Herston Works which is away from the line, were 34072 257 Squadron is currently stored but thats it.

I wondered it if that one answer could be the creation of a southern stlyed railway museum (at Eastleigh for example?) As well as having varoius locos and stock from the National Collection (2-Bil, LSWR T3, etc.) out-of-ticket engines from other railways could be palced on loan to the museum. They would be kept under cover, and at the same time halp create an intreseting (and educational?) display for visitors, especially if displayed in diffrent sections relating to diffrent aspects of railway history (passenger work, freight, etc,) or just on display like at the Engine House at Highley. If such a place existed now, 80078, 41312, 35008, 21C123, B110, & 34072 could all be subjects for tempoary inclusion.

Possible a stupied pie-in-the-sky idea, but its one I had for a while. I wondered if the former sidings at Lymington would work for such a place.

Well done to the Mid Hants for taking 80150 on, and best of British!

17. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

A fair bit of comment has been made about 80150 ... All I can say is AT LAST !! . its long been on the cards the MHR were to have an 80000 tank from what ever sorce . At least this loco is a restorable hulk in the long term.
    It has to be remembered that 76017 was also one of the early Ropley restorations started in the great outdoors at Quanton and Ropley with all the inherrant problems and lack of recources.
    Lots of things never quite done to current standards but good enough for some sterling service. It will be good to see her running again .Will the frames be straightened tho ?? She still has the slightly twisted frames from her trip down the bank ant Whichurch all those years ago .

18. LN850

LN850 Member

Just to sort things out here is the status of all locos ar Ropley:-

- 31806 should be out by september leaving in 2014,
    - 45379 should be out this summer
    - 73096 should be out in about 2 months.
    - 10 douglas is having its boiler sent to crewe as the boiler dept. dont have time for it, but once the boiler is back then it will be put back together.
    - just to annoy everyone, thomas is due an overhaul and it will take priority, bob allen says 8 months, so thatll hold everything else back.

-850 has had a list of repairs drawn up and decision made about who pays for repairs is yet to be made. (work on trailing wheelset and bogie tyres re-profiling amongst other things)
    -5224 will have tyres replaced and work on wheel-bearings, probably taking the place of 73096, then itll go and make space.
    -60019 leaves at end of june after working 1 months of service at MHR, but returning for maintenance, most people at mhr see it as a nuisance taking up space.

-34007, 92212 and 30075 remain in service, although 30075 may leave for a short hire at some point.

-After this lot, 76017 is to be done, boiler may go away depending on how things go, should take about 3 years-ish (thats adding on a year from what we have been told to allow for contingencies).
    - 506 will have some copper welding in its firebox and then will return to mhr for work to be done. Then frames will enter workshops at some stage.
    - 75079 will have work done by volunteers on black 5, boiler to be done at MHR.

So as you can see, a lot of work needs doing. The bunch locos are taking up space. Ropley yard really is getting quite cluttered. Our operating fleet is running quite low at the moment, but mainly because a lot of the fleet come from other restoration places, so the railway is in the process of adapting them to our line. 92212 is excellent. 34007 works well but often needs work does service trains and footplate experience, when 30075 cant.

Lots happening, so itll be a while before 80150 can have much done to it.

just trust that all neccessary work will be done to all locos.

http://www.watercressline.co.uk/mhr...010/5/13_A_new_addition_to_the_MHR_fleet.html

19. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

You missed out 41312 ! When I spoke to the owner last year he had a list of options . We will see what way it goes .I hope it stays its a great little engine with three on .Ideal for off peak services.
    And freight workings of course even though there wont be any charters .

20. 73129

You forgot to add 30499 which is moving to Ropley in the next few weeks. After a concrete hard stand has been finished off.