If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Barry 10

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 61624, May 10, 2010.

1. LN850

LN850 Member

i missed out 41312 cos i dont know the owner and i dont believe he has arranged anything formal with MHR.
    I dont know much about 30499, only that one of the urie boilers is corroding away in the yard, exposed to the elements. It is probable that the urie boiler in the boilershop will go in those frames seeing as it is 30499's proper boiler.

2. Linesidephotos

Linesidephotos Member

There are three boilers owned by the Urie group .most have been on a variety of locos including King Arthurs. 30506.30499 and 30825 (thats the boiler i think in the shed) 30506 boiler is in storage away from MHR . and the other boiler is 30499s . 30828s is also in the yard. so a total of 4 boilers and 3 loco frames .... Anyone fancy doing a Urie King Arthur rebuild with some new frames !!

3. Edward

Edward Member

Or there's a set of S15 frames up Grosmont headshunt that would look nice with a new boiler in them!

Going back to the Barry locos, anyone know what Didcot's got planned for the wrecks they're evidently getting? Are they just going to be parts donors?

4. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Parts Doners I am led to believe.

5. 73087

73087 New Member

I gather that the plan is for the loco's to provide parts toward the creation of a 47xx, a County 4-4-0 for which the 3500 gallon tender at Barry will also be part and a County 4-4-2 tank.

6. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Still no mention of 35005 though or 828 which is what i originally asked about. 34105 wasn't mentioned either although i am aware she will be worked on once 76017 is complete.

A lot of the facts you have posted about are things i have read from the MHR website anyway.

7. matt41312

matt41312 Member

A great piece of business by the MHR I think really. Was there any chance of reinstating the turntable? Judging on what people have said on here it sounded minimal, and so they have got what will be a very useful loco for the line once restored. It will look very at home hauling 4-5 green Mark 1s. I would have loved to have seen it on the SpVR but I think it would have taken us many years to achieve what with what we have on too at the moment.

It's got to be the best chance for 80150 too after all these years in the wilderness. It can't be in that bad a condition, otherwise would the MHR have gone after it?

Where John Bunch's locos are concerned, I really don't get it. The fact he is moving them is pure speculation at the moment as he hasn't said anything about what he intends to do with them. I understand where people are coming from bearing in mind the history between the parties. I think the saying "it aint over until the fat lady sings" springs to mind, so I guess wait and see what Mr Bunch decides in 2014. Maybe they will get spread out with one or two remaining on the MHR?

Well done again to the MHR on acquiring another Southern pedigree locomotive to its collection.

8. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

I agree a standard tank for a turntable that if we are honest would have eventually ended up being sold for scrap if it wasnt sold on is very good business and fits in well with the loco fleet that just about makes it one of every type availible with 3 exceptions a type 2, but the ivatt is as good as a standard 2 and duke of gloucester which was a one off and a Britainia but with talk of Britiania possibly being MHR based i would say they could have the full set in a few years time

9. Edward

Edward Member

Thanks.

47XX - well if it happens, that's a GW loco that I might actually want to go on!

10. LN850

LN850 Member

kieran hardy there is no need to attack anybody. Just ask politely.

35005 is knackered. Before it left service, it needed about a 4 man crew, one to hold each boiler fitting. Now we have the standard 4 tank, it's overhaul is likely to be put back. Especially as it is likely to be heavy.

828 is being worked on by ERPS and our workshops dont have the current capacity to fully support it, the urie locomotive society loco comes first as it has waited a while.

34105 as you said should have its overhaul done in about 3 years time, and should take about 4 years.

The locos i gave you information on are the only ones lined up for attention within the next 2-3 years. And not much more than what i said will be done.

I dont think we as the MHR want anything to do with John Bunch anymore, the locos need a lot of work and a lot of new groups have come and filled the spaces of those locos. To use Mr Chambers words 'we dont have a need for them anymore, we've replaced them all'. WHilst being a great collection of locos, they are just something else to take up space.

John Bunch's locos are theoretically owned now by his son, and it is known that he has his fathers views.

All locos that i havent mentioned and you are wondering about their overhaul, there are plans somewhere in the pipework and will be fitted in when the staff and railway can. Dont forget how many locos we are trying to look after and we dont have as many men as the bluebell railway.

11. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

i am sorry if this is a bit off subject, but does john jones still own 41312 , once the black 5 is out , whats going to be next the standard 4 4-6-0? because this would fill the gap left by 73096 assuming it leaves in 4 years time and i take it that 76017 will follow on after that

12. LN850

LN850 Member

john jones still owns the ivatt. black 5 gang will then work on 75079 4-6-0. the gap from 73096 will be taken by 5224. And 850 will be out for a few months (assuming 34007's place from when it had work on its valve gear).

76017 is to assume the place of 31806 by the paid staff!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Widge

Widge New Member

This and that
    With recent exciting acquisitions (and more on the way if the rumour-mill is to be believed), the Mid Hants is absolutely the place to be at the moment - not top of the Premier League just yet, but currently the most progressive and forward-thinking preserved line by far (if that isn't a contradiction in terms). More volunteers please? It's going to be a thrilling ride.

14. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Agreed, however more volunteers will be more easier to attract at Ropley once the next phase of the enhancement project is complete IMHO.

A decent Mess room, showers and accomodation will help i am sure. Ropley Manor was considered life expired 15 years ago and must surely need replacing with some urgency.

Is there any news, from someone on the ground so to speak as to whether the next phase has been given the go ahead? David Snow in his last article in the MH News was hoping that a decision would be forthcoming soon with completion in 2012.

I guess in light of the fact that the turntable is moving soon as part of the swap with 80150, this could mean positive steps are being prepared.

15. Edward

Edward Member

Without wishing to be rude about the MHR, why do many threads on this forum end up being turned into a discussion on that railway?

What has the fate of the dregs from Barry got to do with a new bog block at Ropley?

16. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I always think that (postive) thread drift is one of the delights of this forum.

17. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

I might just chip in here and say that I for one hope that the railway makes its peace with John Bunch, for all sorts of reasons, mot least that his stable of locos is appropriate for a line in Hampshire, but also because despite everything said in the past I always found JB to be a gentleman with time and a word for all the volunteers in and around the shed and I certainly would not say that about one or two of the others characters who were present on the railway during and after JB's time and who time and history seem to have fortunately and entirely forgetten. Whatever went on at the top end of the railway's hierarchy was another matter but those faces have gone now, many of them long since. We are now in the second decade of a new century. Somebody find an olive branch from somewhere for goodness sake because I'd have no problem shaking JB's hand if I saw him again.

18. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

No disrespect to the MHR, but they are far from the only line doing such things at the moment. The SVR improving their already excellent facilities, the NYMR developing it's fleet of owned locos for example.

Don't get me wrong though, it's good to see the line moving forward so positively from the problems of the past.

19. LN850

LN850 Member

Ropley really does need more volunteers but more highly skilled people who have the time to commit. We have plenty of rangers and others who come on saturdays and keep the yard clean and running, something that the weekday buys just cannot fit in. The railway also has lots of fitters who are able to prepare engines at short notice and deal with minor defects.

But we need more people who have the time and ability to learn the skills of heavy restoration and repairs. Thats is why overhauls take so long. If we had a boiler department doube the size, and more people to tackle heavy bottom end overhauls, then things would be much easier.

But as has been said, we really dont have the capacity to house all the volunteers during beaks. During summer it is OK with the picnic areas. But the boiler shop messroom is tiny and it is chaotic with 7 men in, and ropley manor is not the nicest place, plus overnight accomodation would be good, especially for footplate crews.

Ropley manor isnt too bad if you are just there for the day wearing your boots and overalls, but other than that i can imagine it does feel a bit dirty.

20. 48624

48624 New Member

What's the point of 48518s remains going back to Barry?Wouldn't it be more worthwhile salvaging the remains as spares for existing locos?I do realise that I am looking at this from a biased position but 48518 should be considered dead and buried, even if a boiler was to become available from the Turkey deal it can never be a financially viable proposition to restore it.