If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bassett-Lowke

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by osprey, Aug 16, 2013.

1. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    I was recently asked to look at some "old trains".......turned out both were mint, and I mean mint, one a post war Black Watch Royal Scot painted black in a cardboard box. The other was a train set.....a green Royal Scot (forgotten the name) plus three blood and custard coaches together with various headboards, The Palatine being one. This was in a Bassett-Lowke wooden box with a sliding lid again absolutely mint. I was asked the question how much are they worth? I have no idea, but could see someone paying £2-£4k for them. Anybody any ideas?

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

3. osprey

Many thanks.....the owner was a fireman at Holbeck in Leeds and they were his late father's.......I'll double check their DOB.....

4. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

I could be wrong therefore...I'm not a Lowke expert, the chap on the second site would probably be able to give chapter and verse.

5. osprey

Will do that..I'm no expert either, just don't want somebody persuaded to sell something less than their value.......I must say they are beautiful things....a blast from the past. It will be interesting to chat to the owner's time on the railway as a fireman. Again many thanks for your help.

6. osprey

Just had a look at the second site and it would appear my thoughts are right. Again many thanks as I didn't pick up on that particular site on my search for some reason.