If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Battlefield Line - query access via public transport

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by 7911, Jan 10, 2012.

1. 7911

7911 New Member

I see 45379 will be visiting the Battlefield Line in March, so I was thinking of making my first visit to the line to see it.

I don't have a car so I'd be coming by public transport, but it seems it could be a little tricky to get to - does anyone have any recommendations for the best BR station to travel to and the best bus route for reaching the railway itself? Looks like a toss-up between Nuneaton and Leicester, but any advice from locals would be much appreciated!

2. Harleyman

Harleyman New Member

3. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    According to http://www.travelineeastmidlands.co.uk/ On Saturdays Creswell Coaches run to Congerstone at 09:00, 10:00 and 12:00 from Nuneaton bus station. Congerstone to Shackerstone station is a brisk 20 minutes walk. Total journey time around 1hr 20 minutes.
    Buses return to Nuneaton from Newton Burgoland - a mere 35 minutes walk from Shackerstone - at 16.25. This, the last bus back to Nuneaton does not serve Congerstone. Arrival back at Nuneaton bus station is 17:38.

4. laplace

laplace New Member

Transport Direct's bus/train planner shows the above Nuneaton-Congerstone(for Shackerstone)-Ashby de la Zouch every 2hr (finishing early), Leicester-Market Bosworth hourly, and Hinckley-Market Bosworth-Coalville hourly on Saturdays, but nothing at all on Sundays.

5. 7911

7911 New Member

Thanks for the advice - Nuneaton is easiest to get to for me, but it does look like Leicester - Market Bosworth is the way to go. Well worth it to finally see the first Black 5 out of Barry!

6. sir gomer

sir gomer New Member

Market Bosworth does have a regular bus service so I am told. That would no doubt be the best bet for those without transport :) See our website for details

We look forward to seeing you all in March at Shackerstone for our 2012 steam gala, so far featuring Black 5 No45379, 38xx 2-8-0 No3803, Peckett "Sir Gomer" and Aveiling "Blue Circle".

Thank you. Sam (Shackerstone Loco)