If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Betton Grange

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Broomhalla, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Just_Sayin

Just_Sayin New Member

Technician
    Small mention in Steam Beano. Bogie truck expected to return from WSR after restoration by WSRA (though I'm sure they went there for restoration by volunteers).

Driving Wheels Springs and coupling rods to be fitted, so that by Members Day end of the month they have a fairly complete bottom half to showcase.

Quotes being obtained for production of a Polystyrene Pattern for Cylinder Block, with the plan to then have them cast/machined by Spring next year. Once this is all done the next milestone will be the boiler according to the article, which says early indications are that 7927 boiler is in better nick.

SSS4 is also mentioned, with plans for an event the week prior to Easter (which would make it April 5th onwards I think?). Guests locos are already being sourced according to the article.

2. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
  3. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  4. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

Can I just say that I had forgotten about this project until today. Clan, P2, Hengist and other projects all at the forefront. Somebody must be doing something wrong for BG!

5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Yes I am an active volunteer
    You seem to have mentioned that one twice, must be close to your heart! I would have said that the Patriot seems to be high up in the publicity stakes just now, but the BG group is just quietly getting on with it. As previously stated, there will be times when not much seems to happen whilst funds are built up for something big ... like cylinders.

6. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

I'm having a total memory malfunction mentioning the Clan project twice. AS to close to my heart, one of the ones that I didn't mention was the Patriot project. I just hope I will be around when it is finished.

Must have a lie down now as all that thinking has worn me out.

7. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
  8. Bacofoil

Bacofoil New Member

Great picture and great work by the 6880 working team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Well I suppose it doesn't help that, unlike most other new build projects, the locomotive they are building is not all that unique in the appearance stakes, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if when it is finally completed, there will be people continuously mistaking it for a Hall, as the two designs just look so similiar. This can't be helped though, nor should it deter those from building it, it's just an issue that most Swindon machines have to deal with... apart from the Hawksworth Counties and the the 47xxs, they were pretty unique looking copper caps...

10. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    6880 becomes a 4-6-0
    https://www.facebook.com/6880BettonGrangeSocietyLtd

A great picture to end the year! I have to say that the view of 6880 sitting on a "full set" of wheels in Llangollen Shed seems to be very close to the "Patriot NEC Display" experience I had last month! I know that the wheels are not new (bogie from 5952 and drivers from 5199) but replacements will be/have been manufactured for these locos. 6880 is showing steady, determined progress and the completion date draws closer. I think several of these new builds will make good progress this year, especially as several of them actually look not far off the finished article. Another visit to Llangollen must be on the cards for 2014. Well done to the 6880 group and Happy New Year.

11. Martin Perry

There is a set of drivers available for 5199.

12. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

The pictures are impressive but it is a source of considerable regret that 5952 continues to be plundered to achieve such progress. That loco was perfectly restorable in its own right and assurances that it will, in time, be put back into working order do sound rather hollow.

Just_Sayin likes this.
  13. Bacofoil

Bacofoil New Member

Not sure why you say the assurances sound hollow? As I am sure the 6880 board have plans in place to restore Cogan Hall once 6880 is in steam.
    I know the board are true enthusiasts and take the restoration very seriously. Right now it is important that the Hall donates parts to shorten the build time of the Grange, which after all is the unique locomotive.

14. Just_Sayin

Just_Sayin New Member

Technician
    It took this same group 20+ years to restore 5199, and are now onto over 10 Years on 6880. They can say 2016 is their target as much as they want, but achieving it seems optimistic to say the least. And this is without completing the tender, which will only be built once the loco is finished! Once this is all done they can then move onto 5952, but how many are going to be young enough to see through another 15yr restoration whilst keeping 6880/5199 running? Despite being 2 different companies it is more or less the same individuals involved.

1472 does make a valid point, sadly though it wont be the liking of many.

15. Bacofoil

Bacofoil New Member

The actual time spent restoring 5199 was 16 years which isn't bad considering its condition. I am not getting in to an argument or a personal attack on myself or any member of 5199 or 6880
    Funny how a very positive thing for 6880 happens and someone has to come on and knock it. Sounds like sour grapes to me

Martin Perry likes this.
  16. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Plenty of loco's that have been used for spares in the past have been restored in their own right so I fail to see why Cogan Hall can't follow suit.

If you want a Hall fix there's 4936, 4953, 4965, 5972 and 6960 operating with 6989 and 6990 due to return in 2014.

If you don't like the speed the 6880 group is working at, you can always offer them time or money, they don't have to do restoration work remember, where 5952 would probably be left to rust into oblivion and a Grange would remain a memory or pipe dream.

17. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

4953 is out of ticket. It last ran August Bank Holiday weekend.

18. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

good luck to the 6880 boys, although I do have nagging misgivings about "new" creations, they are getting off their butts and doing it and I am not. I'm looking forward to seeing all the new builds finished

19. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

I can assure you that much of my waking time and a significant proportion of my money already goes into GW loco projects! There was at least one other serious purchaser for 5952 when it was sold so it would not now otherwise be rusting. My point really is that if construction of the parts in question is going to be fairly easy then make them now. If they are going to be difficult then 5952 will by then look rather unattractive and overly expensive as a project in its own right. I really do hope I am wrong in seeing the future of 5952 as a working loco as somewhat lacking credibility.

20. Martin Perry

The parts are being used on the priority project, not where they will be needed in several years time. Makes sense to me.