If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Big Four issues

Discussion in 'The Railway Magazine' started by stepney60, Oct 3, 2007.

1. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

The point about the LMS issue raised by nipper in the SR section reminded me, IIRC the RM have thus far done magazines devoted to the LMS, LNER and even the Great Way Round, so when can we expect the corresponding issue devoted to the Southern Railway?

2. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

The LMS issue is impressive.

3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It is very good. But I'm waiting for the Southern Region one.......................... :smt002

4. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Fully agree. The LMS special section is a most intersting and absorbing read.

5. green five

It's just a thought but will they do a BR special after the Big four have been covered? :-k

6. twa_dogs

twa_dogs Well-Known Member

Wage slave
    and then start from the beginning perhaps? S&D and NER please.

7. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

Must congratulate the team for the LMS 'special'. Very enjoyable read and browse. As always, RM has by far the most impressive range of old and 'unusual' photo's. I was amazed at how many pre-war colour shots there are that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Can't put my finger on it exactly but I also thought the news sections are fresher than they have been of late too.

8. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

For those who have commented so far, many many thanks.

Producing something like that is a Herculean effort and the comments make it worthwhile.

Well, as some of you have guessed, the Southen Railway will be the subject of the 2008 special issue, and I can tell you we have some cracking black & white photos in our archives which are likely to use. Whether we do a BR issue in the future is open for debate, but if a number of people were to write in....it might convince our Lords and Masters.

As for covering the S&D and others, doing these is a bit of a marathon, so maybe for now we'll have a break and consider our options.

9. twa_dogs

Wage slave
    apologies for the post-lunch irony - twas a bit OTT on my part, however I've the current LMS issue to read this evening and if its anything like the LNER then your efforts will be appreciated greatly.

10. Leander's Shovel

Leander's Shovel Member

Scribe
    I thought it was excellent. Congratulations to all.

11. green five

I agree. The RM always manage to dig out some photographic gems and there are also some I haven't seen before.
    I 've a had a better look now and it really is a "Special" issue. I may buy another copy though as the one I got in the post has been seriously mangled. #-o

12. twa_dogs

Wage slave
    count yourself lucky - in the midst of a postal strike your mail has still recieved its due quota of abuse for the week. Bad luck that its concentrated into your mag and not a utility bill though.

13. green five

count yourself lucky - in the midst of a postal strike your mail has still recieved its due quota of abuse for the week. Bad luck that its concentrated into your mag and not a utility bill though.[/quote:a27ed]

I've had worse problems with Royal Mail such as when they"lost" 10 DVD's which I had ordered as gifts for Christmas one year.
    Another magazine I subscribe to was also being "lost" every month until I got in touch with the mag staff and they launched an investigation which found the mag was being pilfered!

14. nipper

nipper New Member

I've all but given up on the Royal Mail.

Stuff from Amazon taking well over a week, cheques for ebay purchases where seller is not using Paypal stuck in the system... It is hopeless.

At least my RM arrived - intact and early for once. That's my biggest niggle about subscription copies, It's in the shop on a Wednesday but can arrive between Tuesday and Saturday. I suppose its being too optimistic to hope for an improvement. Funny how the bills always arrive on time though.

15. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

I thought it was excellent. Congratulations to all.[/quote:d113f]

Thanks Danny for those words. Your issue has some nice colour and some interesting features too. The two seem to complement rather than compete. Shame we won't be head-to-head next month as it's a normal issue for us.

Hope to bump into you soon somewhere.

And thanks too to anyone who has sent their comments to us via email.

16. Leander's Shovel

Leander's Shovel Member

Scribe
    I thought it was excellent. Congratulations to all.[/quote:ab7b0]

Thanks Danny for those words. Your issue has some nice colour and some interesting features too. The two seem to complement rather than compete. Shame we won't be head-to-head next month as it's a normal issue for us.

Hope to bump into you soon somewhere.

And thanks too to anyone who has sent their comments to us via email.[/quote:ab7b0]

No problem... I think anyone buying both issues could accuse us of collusion... you've got the history angle sewn up, we've got a more contemporary view... all very suspect.

Look forward to a pint sometime and to, thereafter, not discussing magaziney stuff.

Danny

17. green five

Has any body else noticed with the LMS issue of the RM the curly wurly covers? I've noticed them on the shelves in a couple of WH Smith's where the covers are curling up pretty badly. I assume this is down to the heat from the heating and the lighting. Not good for the RM when the customer can't see the cover of the mag on the shelf.

18. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

It's topical to me you should make this comment. Only last night I noticed the cover of my LMS issue had curled up at home and couldn't understand why. Must be an inherent problem with the paper or printing. Never had this problem previously with RM.

19. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Strange. My last SR turned up feeling as though the paper was extra thin. Dificult to separate the pages. It was also a bit wrinkly. I the end I think it was damp, despite the poly wrapper. Improved after a few days though! Anyone else notice this?

20. green five

It's topical to me you should make this comment. Only last night I noticed the cover of my LMS issue had curled up at home and couldn't understand why. Must be an inherent problem with the paper or printing. Never had this problem previously with RM.[/quote:3ihhnu0e]

My copy is still okay although it is in a pile of mags waiting to be read at the moment! I'm flattening it out after it was mauled in the post.