If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Blaenau branch

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by steamdream, May 12, 2011.

1. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    They are light enough to be lifted off the rails. Apparently on the continent common etiquette decrees that the greater number should be allowed to pass. In the case of one on one, whichever is going up the gradient is allowed to continue. On the flat...well, brush up your angry French! Or Welsh in this case of course...

2. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I don't see it getting past the H&S police. Remember when they tried to demonstrate the importance of seatbelts by having a demonstrator in the form of of a chair that slid sownhill to a jerk stop at about 7mph. Unless these have a speed limiter (difficult but) then this will end in tears and litigation.

Publicity stunt?

3. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    You can get around most things with a disclaimer of liability and a safety briefing. I recently spent a pleasant afternoon 'going ape' in Haldon Forest. It was totally within my control to attach the safety lines or not, so was either safe, or flippin dangerous. if that can operate, then bikes on rails should be no problem (I hope anyway. Sounds like a great hoot!)

4. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

It probably wont come as a huge surprise to hear that Colin Dale, who planned to reopen the Trawsfynydd Branch, has vanished - to quote the C&D Herald, "Mr Dale stated the not-for-profit venture could create up to 20 jobs locally, but now, two years on, Mr Dale appears to have vanished, leaving a trail of creditors and dashed hopes".

http://www.caernarfonherald.co.uk/c...ed-to-revive-railway-vanishes-88817-29545826/

Chris

5. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
  6. dampflok

dampflok Member

Nurse,Qualified Ward Manager now retired
    I wonder if Colin Dale was his real name .It sounds like Colindale which is in north London.

7. Jark91

Jark91 Member

My mother actually met and spoke with Colin at the café he owned on the edge of Trawsfynydd reservoir earlier in the Summer. Apparently he was hopeful about the railway then. My mother spoke to him for the best part of an hour and got the impression he was being bankrolled by a co-investor so perhaps that's the person speaking in the article. The café was always empty apparently which was no surprise given its location.

8. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
    There are actually 3 interesting rail related stories in the exciting Caerarfon Herald. Gwynedd news - Caernarfon, the Llyn Peninsula, Eifionydd, Meirionnydd, Dyffryn Nantlle and Dyffryn Peris

Two relate to this story:
    Colin Dale appears to have fallen out with his landlords. Businessman slams landlords as they seek to evict him from Trawsfynydd cafe - Caernarfon Herald . All as clear as mud.

The velorail will be doing a demo on all of 215m (that's metres)... Trial run for velorail project - Caernarfon Herald

The third (off topic) is a local town councillor making misguided trouble again for the FR.

I walked along the northern part of the line over the new year and I guess that 215m is about as far as you could get a Velorail before having to tackle some bush clearance. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to run a flail along and the track is in reasonable condition for lightweight use. Not sure how it will go for H&S though as those sleepers are slippy.

9. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Ah yes, no doubt much to his annoyance Porthmadog Town Council has been informed that the railway does have the relevant permissions for the cob work - and what was the headline they chose for this article?

'SCORN ON THE COB'

Brilliant! :)

Chris

10. meeee

meeee Member

I wouldn't want to run anything heavier than a Velorail along there. Some of the bridges aren't too hot. A few annoying trees in the way is the least of your worries in reopening this branch.

Tim

11. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

hahaha! Ahh fantastic. And they say the standard of journalism has gone down...!

12. crantock

crantock Member

Beancounter
  13. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

I believe that Colin Dale has denied he is this Colin Dale.

14. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
  15. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Fantastic. I'm going on it!

16. kscanes

kscanes Resident of Nat Pres

Just how practicable is this Velorail idea. It surely won't work if it becomes popular! How many Velorail vehicles are intended? One or several?

Imagine there is only one Velorail vehicle. You're still going to have to lift it off to turn it round at the far end. Fine for four strapping railway enthusiasts, but Mum n Dad n Granny and the kids might be less able. If there are two vehicles out, you will meet the other one at least once possibly twice, add in turning and there's potential for three off-track lifts during one out and back trip. Or am I misunderstanding something.

If there are three vehicles in use I make it three to five off-tracks; four vehicles, four to seven. At some point it will cease to be a jolly lark and Mum n Dad will get seriously fed up.

17. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

There is really no need to get one's underwear in disarray! Such operations are sufficiently widespread in France to suggest there are no real problems.

P.H.

18. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

19. Stu in Torbay

GPS Navigation Engineer
    I wondered what happened when you meet another coming the other way. Apparently there is velorail etiquette (or 'veloquette'?) those on the downgrade lift theirs off to allow the party coming up to pass. If on the dead level, then I've no idea. Age before beauty maybe?

20. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

Typically the bikes would start from one end over a period and relax at half way and then the other end, wait for the group to arrive before returning, to minimise the meets, the emphasis is on family fun rather than competitive racing, a bit like many french tourist trains which might make a single round trip on a sunday afternoon and not the regular service through the day over here.