If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bletchley Park.

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by 45669, Nov 12, 2022.

1. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Afternoon All,

Just to make a change from trains and railways, I had a day out last month at Bletchley Park in Buckinghamshire. During World War II, this was the HQ of a crack team of highly skilled and clever people who were able crack and read the coded messages created by the German Enigma and other coding machines. It is said that this played a major role in the Allied victory, shortened the war by around two years and saved countless lives. It was a highly classified top secret location during the war and for many years afterwards, but it is no longer a secret and has been turned into a fascinating museum open to the public.

If anyone would like to have a look, here are the photos I took during my visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/albums/72177720303054565

Hope they're of interest.

TTFN,

Ron.

misspentyouth62 likes this.
  2. misspentyouth62

misspentyouth62 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Coincidentally, my wife and I took a trip to Bletchley Park during the week. This brought back lots of memories from time I was there in the late 70s. The mansion is in much better condition than it was then, being used for bar/leisure activities from Post Office technicians being trained at the park.

The current visitor experience at Bletchley surpassed my expectations and I can only wonder how nobody knew or talked about the history of the site / buildings during the time I was there.

3. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    It's quite a place, isn't it. It amazes me that with up to 9,000 people working there and dispatch riders and other transport coming and going at all hours of the day and night, it managed to remain top secret as long as it did.

If anyone hasn't been there, I'd recommend a visit. It's only a few minutes walk from Bletchley railway station, so is very easy to get to.