If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell 2009 "Modernisation"

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by davycrocket, Dec 16, 2008.

1. poser500

poser500 New Member

Secondly there is as much chance of that stock being restored as the second coming of Jesus Christ.They cannot even look after what they have now.

Regards
    Chris[/quote]

For your information Jesus and his old man work in the loco already so anything is possible. =P~

2. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    For your information Jesus and his old man work in the loco already so anything is possible. =P~[/quote]

Erm I think we were discussing rolling stock here as opposed to the Loco fleet, however i note your point.

Regards
    Chris Willis

3. poser500

poser500 New Member

Erm I think we were discussing rolling stock here as opposed to the Loco fleet, however i note your point.

Regards
    Chris Willis[/quote]

Sorry to make a light hearted comment and distract you from your flow.
    I'm honoured to have my point noted.

Regards,

Dave G.

4. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Sorry to make a light hearted comment and distract you from your flow.
    I'm honoured to have my point noted.

Regards,

Dave G.[/quote]

You have nothing to be sorry for Sir. This is off topic I know but I thought that the workshop at the park did a magnificant job outshopping what they did for the Branch Line Weekend. They deserve all the praise they can get, well done to them.

Regards
    Chris Willis

5. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

What is the general position regarding ownership of the rolling stock on the Bluebell; is the majority of it owned by the BRPS, or does it have a number of individual owners?

If it is owned by the BRPS, what would the constitutional position be if someone with the means and the wherewithall in that field made an offer to take some of this 'no-hope' stock off their hands (purchase, long-term loan, whatever) with an undertaking that it would not be simply broken up? In other words, is there some clause in the constitution of the society that would result in them being unable to transfer ownership, and so making it not even worth trying?

And before anyone overreacts this is a genuine question, not an attempt to stir things up.

6. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    You have avery good point. I recall that the Maunsell Society did that very thing when they sold S15 number 830 to the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

The problem is of course is ownership of some of this rolling stock. Some of the private owner vehicles have been there for years and if they can establish who does own what, the logical thing to do would be to write and ask them what they want to do with it. If they are not prepared to do anything a further letter suggesting that unless you do something the Society or PLC will start to charge rent. But I guess that would open an immense can of worms.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Regards
    Chris Willis

7. OldChap

OldChap Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I suppose that the best way would be to post notices in the house magazine, a number of periodicals like Railway magazine/Steam Railway and perhaps a national newspaper; instructing the shareholders to contact the railway’s management within say, 90 or 180days stating their intentions and with proof or ownership/shareholding.

If the owner(s) state there intentions are to restore then the railway has an appropriate opportunity to say yes or no to those plans and request them to remove the stock or to get cracking with the plan.

Failure to respond (as would be publicly stated in the official national posting) would gift the item or shares of that item to the railway. At this point the railway would have a say in what to do with the rolling stock, it could then auction/sell it with the clause that it must be restore to full operational order within a period of time if it stays on the line or when returned to operational condition be returned to the line for a period of operation.

If the point is to clear un-restorable stock then this would give all those absentee owners a chance to get working on the project or donate it to the railway, if some of these coaches (like say the Bulleid brake 4227 or Maunsell brake 3724) were to come up for sale they could raise a decent some of money... I’m sure the EG extention project would appreciate the additional income too.

8. RichardSalmon

RichardSalmon New Member

Engineer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The Bluebell has very little carriage stock that does not belong to it, so this discussion is heading down a blind alley! The Holden Trust own a carriage which is very well cared for, the Bulleid Society own a carriage which is near the top of the list currently for restoration. The privately owned Birdcage is nearing the end of its restoration. A privately owned Mk.1 is on loan to the line, and is in operational use. Then there is one stored in exchange for the loan of a locomotive to the railway. Other than sleeping coaches, owned by members who sleep in them, I can't think of anything else. Nothing to discuss!

Richard

9. RichardSalmon

RichardSalmon New Member

Engineer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Oh, and a Bulleid Open Third, in operation.

Richard

10. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Thank you Richard, that was essentially the information I was looking for. Nice to get a genuine answer from someone in the know!

11. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi all I see that the Bluebell has given up the Pullman kitchen car “EAGLE” that was on loan from the NRM. I can’t under stand why the Bluebell gave the Pullman up for. The MHR should make good use of it.
    http://www.watercressline.co.uk/topical.htm
    =D> =D> =D> =D>

12. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Better late than never Lee,I understand that this vehicle should have been here several days ago although I stand to be corrected.

The reason it was given speaks for itself for if you take a look at the Bluebells other Pullmans it doesn,t really fit in with it.

I recall it came as a stop gap when "Bertha" left the Bluebell for the Swanage Railway.

Which reminds me, does anyone know what happened to "Bertha" ?, I have certainly not seen it in traffic recently.

Regards
    Chris

13. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    I seem to recall that the Swanage Pullmans are being stored at Carnforth until covered accommodation is available at Swanage.

Regards,

Dan

14. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Thanks Chris

15. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    I seem to recall that the Swanage Pullmans are being stored at Carnforth until covered accommodation is available at Swanage.

Regards,

Dan[/quote:31zex5bb]

Thank you Dan.

Regards
    Chris

16. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Duncan as always will certainly make a good job of this coach!! She will be made of good use in the fleet for the Belle!! And for general dining! And knowing how I know Duncan he will get her done within a couple of weeks - That is going upon everthing else is in good condition?

17. Columbine

Columbine Member

Sorry not quite on topic but it seems daft to introduce another Bluebell item.

When I went to the Bluebell on 16th November last there was a TSR in place on Freshfield bank and the Wickham trolley was out and about in between services. When the trolley came past the field at New Road at about 3pm loaded up with the PW gang I assumed the problem had been resolved. When I visited the line last Sunday I took the footpath from Sloop Lane to Town Place and found that there was a TSR in place from just to the south of Sloop Lane Bridge for several hundred yards and the track was describing a loop, albeit a fairly shallow loop, to the east.

Could anybody offer an answer to the question of whether this is a new TSR or the one of November last which remains to be fixed?

Regards

18. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    It is the same TSR as per what you saw last November.

Chris

19. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    I assume then there is no money to fix this?.

Regards
    Chris

20. davycrocket

davycrocket Member

It is indeed the one that I reported and implemented a TSR for back in November!

I am not sure if money is an issue, there is already enough plant and rail equipment on site for a job like this.
    I reckon that there is not the time capacity to allow the work to take place.