If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell 2009 "Modernisation"

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by davycrocket, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

Still, beggars can't be choosers and every penny helps get more of that tip removed what is the point of the exercise.

2. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

The question is would the railway have made that £2400 that weekend without running the special?

3. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I dont know , but how much was put aside for the hire ( is it hired?) of the diesel , then how much for the fuel and everything else , might (only a might) be a smaller number then you think once all the expensces are paid so was it really worth it?

4. 21D

21D Member

Sad to see the only railway that had resisted the onslaught of the tin cans give up. Mark my words, it is the beginning of the end for the Bluebell! The're all dooooooommmmed.

But, seriously it is a little poignant don't you think? I see the sense in using a 350hp shunter in place of a steam engine, it is so much cheaper, but the point of the Bluebell used to be that you could guarantee NO diesels! They seem to have lost their way a little. Too many big projects all at once I suppose. I keep writing about this because I don't want to see it fall apart.

5. stepney60

And from next weekend onwards, that is the case once again.

6. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Apart from the 08 Shunter, or has that gone back?.

Regards
    Chris

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I'm with you on this. They've justified diesel haulage once so the precedent has been set so I doubt we've seen the last of box haulage on the Bluebell. The 73 may be going away shortly but that's not to say a diesel will never return. I love the Bluebell and admire what it has achieved. I just happen to disagree with one decision - i.e. 73 haulage - but sadly there are those here and elsewhere who seem to thing that by disagreeing with that decision I'm damning and criticising everything and everyone to do with the railway and that's simply untrue.

8. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Very well said Spamcan.I too love the Bluebell and proberbly through the wrong choice of words it would seem that everytime I am critical of something Bluebell it is an affront to EVERYTHING Bluebell, I can assure everyone that it is not.

I think sods law applies here, anything that can be taken the wrong way will be?.
    It would also appear that anyone critiscising a management decision is deemed an enemy of the Bluebell wheras at the Mid-Hants these days at least the management will listen to another point of view.

Best regards
    Chris Willis

9. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Hmm, im not convinced by this whole 'they've run a diesel once so they'll be everywhere' scenario - the charter did not prove a precedent as it wasnt a public service. If they were even considering a diesel service they would see how the public react by timetabling it.

Tbh, i dont see any difference to the situation at the IoWSR - they run a 100% steam service over a line that never saw diesels, but have shunters for works trains and 'thunderbird' duties and always have done. Is it still a steam-only railway? Definately, whether there are a couple of shunters in the sidings or not. Is the railway better off having them? Absolutely, and that is the most important thing.

Chris

10. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Surely the point that can be made is that the Bluebell still retains its "Southern Railway" tradition as the guest working was a purely Southern Railway design albeit created in BR days.

I can happily accept the wish of members to see the Railway maintaon a wholly steam operated service but surely the willingness of the management to consider the occasional alternative - especially if it helps provide the boost to funding that March 7 seems to have generated - can only be a good thing if it is confined to the odd occasion.

As an outsider it seems to me that this is a mountain being made out of a molehill and that perhaps it is the narrow-mindedness of the members rather than the generosity of the management to sanction the one-off event when the appropriate conditions come together that is the problem which needs to be resolved.

11. stepney60

And how many passenger turns have the 08s worked?

12. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    I was referring to 21d,s post Chris , and you replied "No Deisals", that would include the 08/

Regards
    Chris Willis.

13. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    The class 73 electro-diesel No.73136 (E6043) "Perseverance" was hired by the Bluebell for a few weeks to work the Spoil Trains removing inert spoil from Imberhorne Lane. As the person who has done the most Guard duties on this train, I can assure everyone that the locomotive has performed very well. By comparison to steam, the ED proved itself to be both economical, more comfortable for the train crew, and afford better forward observation. The other advantage is that the train crew did not need to report for duty until 20/30 minutes before the first train departure. Without the class 73 working the normal five (5) return trips each weekday, there is no way that so much spoil (400 tons/day) would have been shifted in so few days.

Regarding the Bluebell seizing the opportunity to operate a ‘special’ passenger train last weekend. Everyone seems to have forgotten the constant criticism targeted previously at the Bluebell for being steam only. Well those who criticised the railway for its steam only policy have now had their opportunity to ride behind a diesel. But now their opponents have come to the fore, proving only that the Bluebell is damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

Next week I understand 73136 will be leaving the Bluebell on route to Eastleigh. However, the two other machines on hire, i.e. the JCB diggers, one at the railhead and one at Horsted Keynes, are both staying on for a little bit longer!

Then the week after that, we will all wake up in the morning and the world will continue as normal, which will include steam hauled passenger trains at the Bluebell Railway just as they have always been. Further engineering trains will operate as and when required, and along with the Monday & Thursday shunts will be worked either by the class 08 shunter or steam motive power.

Chris

14. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Thank you for that Chris, a very fair and honest report.

Regards
    Chris Willis

15. Columbine

Columbine Member

It is too, but having said that I'm relieved the 73 has gone. Hopefully this thread will die a natural death and it won't do a Lazarus.

Regards

16. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    It would be interesting to know how many of those dead against having a diesel on the Bluebell are involved in actually operating any preserved railway. Most lines do tend to use diesels as a piece of "plant", for shunting, stock movements, engineers trains and rescue in case of failure (much to the disgust of diesel enthusiasts!). Given the other problems that the Bluebell are said (on here) to have, having to keep a small loco in ticket to do the weekly shunt is a distraction from having suffficient locos for ordinary traffic.

I am sure that it would be usefull for the Bluebell to have a diesel shunter or two and a standby diesel. It would not make the world end (I was amazed when I realised on Monday that the Class 73 run was last weekend as the world hadn't noticeably ended!) and must give the Bluebell chance to concentrate on what is involved in delivering the service and extension.

The idea of an "all steam" railway may be a nice theory for enthisuasts, but if it helps deliver a quality service to the fare paying passengers, then where is the harm?

(Sits back and waits to feel the sharp pains from the pins entering the dolls!!!)

17. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I gather 73136 is leaving the Bluebell next week.

Does anyone know if the spoil trains now fininshed, or are any more booked?

Thanks

18. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    I wrote only yesterday....

Currently the next spoil train is scheduled to operate on Thursday 19th March.

Chris

19. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Exactly right, and shortly 136 will be off to Eastleigh for her refurbished bogies to be fitted and then back out onto the main line where she belongs.

Not only is 136 the first diesel to work a pax on the BB* but isn't she also the first main line registered loco to work over the line.

* Some of us know different. \:D/[/quote:17fytins]
    Wasn't 30777 Sir Lamiel the first mainline registered locomotive to visit back in 1995 (My visit there was when she turned up when i was 4 years old I think)

20. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Port Line was based there after running on the main line in the early 90's and 257 Squadron ran there when it was first out sometime after as well. that appeared briefly on the big railway as well. Can't remember the date exactly.