If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell 2009 "Modernisation"

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by davycrocket, Dec 16, 2008.

1. nick_beck

nick_beck New Member

IT
    The trouble is that the way in which the 'they' department is made up is almost a conflict within itself. You have the trustees and also several directors. However, several directors are trustees. A few years back, you may recall that one of the members of both sides was not re-elected as a trustee, however this did not change anything 'because his role is too important'. So much for democracy, as was written on the notice announcing this. Apparently there was some sort of campaign to remove him from his post, said the notice, so the result was seemingly ignored as a result. Perhaps it was just that people were voicing their opinion, and one that the rest of the boards of trustees and directors didn't like?

It is unfortunate the the directors give the impression that the volunteers get in the way of running 'their' railway, and do little to reassure the 'ordinary' members that this isn't the case. Unfortunately they seem unwilling in the most part to communicate with the membership unless it us to tell us how wonderful their latest idea is, or how nasty someone has been to one of them. I firmly believe that this arms-length approach is most of the reason that there is such bad blood on the railway between themselves and the volunteers. Unfortunately, this spills over to the paid staff as well, who in the majority seem to view the unpaid people as some sort of menace. Apparently the C+W volunteers are referred to as 'the aliens', for example, and several highly skilled people have turned up at Horsted to volunteer their services only to be told that they are not necessary. This is also apparently the message that a few persons banished from the railway have been told, yet one of them was apparently the most highly skilled carriage fitter the railway possessed. This was probably one of the reasons - it does appear that the paid staff feel threatened by those who might have similar or better skills than their own.

Until such a time as the 'they' department can get everyone working together, in harmony, not worrying about what the other people are doing, then the railway will continue to go down the pan. At present, it appears that every department views all the others with contempt, and likewise the paid and volunteer staff. It needs a decent management team to pull everyone together to work with rather than against each other, and then maybe we can get back on track (sorry!) to make sure that we remain the best preserved steam hauled passenger railway in the country.

2. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Hear hear Nick .

Happy new year.
    Chris Willis

3. secr1084

secr1084 New Member

Nick

I hope you realize that you have broken the rules of the society, (or at least how the directors see it). You have made unfavourable comments about the management, this has brought the "railway into disrepute".

You too could now gain the honour of receiving a letter from the management saying your work is "of little value"! As the skilled carriage fitter received!

You could always tell if he had done the steam heat pipework, there were no leaks! I hear it is rather difficult to see 1336 when the steam heat is on! which may be why all the frantic telephone calls asking other volunteers if he will come back!

For those interested what the Bluebell management see as work of little value, look at 7598, 1309, etc. and most of the wagon train at the Bluebell, and more recently the output from Medstead at the MHR!

4. Richard Cobweb

Richard Cobweb New Member

5. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    I would have thought obvious repair/restoration Maunsell would be 6575, one of the Bluebells first carriages. At least it is complete and would not be too hard to do as it was running until a few years ago, so does anyone know what the work entails please?.

Regards
    Chris Willis

6. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

All this "BE" rubbish, maybe Bluebell could rake in a bit of cash by people fed up with it paying money to have the letters painted over...

7. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Chill out Chris , it is New Years Eve, we do not want you having a heart attack now do we?, [smilie=happy.gif] [smilie=happy.gif]

Regards
    Chris W.

8. secr1084

secr1084 New Member

I have not seen it for a couple of years, but the last time I saw it the following needed to be done,

1. Bottom rail repairs around the brake doors, while this could be done quickly similar to the repairs to 3363, I am sure we will see a total replacement of all the bottom rail including the good bits, as 1336!

2. Repairs to the roof, as it was leaking in one place. The previous repair was not successful... A partial replacement for that part of the roof may be needed, but if the bottom rails are replaced the all roof will be cut up into small pieces and thrown in the fire, as 1336!

3. It will need repairs to the interior, some of it will no doubt be found to be damaged, rotten or beyond economic repair. Some will no doubt be lost (as 6686 and 1336), so we can look forward to a large amount being new.

4. The doors where not to good, so these will no doubt be replaced.

5. Underframe, this is one of those troublesome carriages with compartments, so it has a special arrangement of springs in the bogies. No doubt we will have forgotten the problems and the lean of 6686, and will have to learn again that the bogies are not always interchangeable. The most experienced carriage engineer on the railway was 'asked' to leave, and the (paid staff) fitter is due to retire, so it does not bode well as a quick project.

Although they might get Peter Milnes back to do the frame repairs, Trevor Rapley and his award winning team to do the interior when they have finished 3363, and with the expertise of Ian Johnson and we could see it running within a year! But I see this as the least likely scenario.

9. Richard Cobweb

Richard Cobweb New Member

Yes, steady on there , or before you know it you will find that he has got one of your puffing billies displaying it ...............

=D>

10. tamper

tamper Member

retired
    Whilst having been a member of this forum for over a year it is some time since I looked in.

However my attention has been drawn to this disscussion re the arrival of a class 73 to the Bluebell, so perhaps a few facts regarding this loco will not go amiss.

Class 73, Electro Diesel number 73136 'PERSEVERANCE' (note NOT Pegasus) will be arriving at the Bluebell by road around the 18th Jan, for 8/10 weeks, for use solely on the spoil trains from the Imberhorne tip.

73136 PERSEVERANCE is owned by the Class 73 Locomotive Preservation Company Ltd and was bought as scrap from Booths of Rotherham before being TOTALY restored and rebuilt to MAIN LINE STANDARDS. 136 is accepted as safe traction to a number of TOCs and is regularily to be found working engineers trains on both the juice and diesel. 136 has performed faultlessly on a number of enthusiasts specials on the main line the latest of which was with a class 33 to Weymouth. A further main line trip took place recently when 136 hauled 73210, also owned and restored by some of the same owning group, to the Mid Norfolk Railway before later going on to the NVR gala.

Now you may ask, why would the owners of a main line registered loco be prepared to take it off main line work, transport it by road with all the examination and ultrasonic expenses that will occour, to send it to the Bluebell?

The answer may of course be that the 3 principal shareholders are in fact long time life members and wish to help with the tip clearance.

You are quite correct Tom.
    Richard (Dick) Garbutt, ex C&W, is indeed the Chairman and another is a trustee of the same coach as yourself namely the GNR Directors Saloon.

There is no hidden agenda to use 136 on passenger workings although personally I would be delighted to see it coupled to and hauling the GNR saloon, a coach that I have had in the past had quite a bit to do with. :smt038

As for who will drive it, the Manageing Director of C73LPCo Ltd is employed as a driver trainer on class 73s.

Anything I have missed, come back to me.

Gordon Brewer
    better known as Bodger Brew
    Ex C&W
    Ex Horsted cottages
    Ex Company Secretary C73LPCo Ltd.
    Ex fund raiser for GN saloon
    Now at my age, Ex just about everything. :smt051

Happy New Year to you all. :smt114

11. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Let’s hope someone will ask to charter 73136 for a few round trips on the Bluebell. Would the management allow this to happen? This could be one way to cover some of the cost of hiring in the loco or will this go against the ethos of the Bluebell Railway.
    :-k :-k :-k :-k

12. tamper

tamper Member

retired
    The projected date and time for the VEP to arrive are

17th Jan.
    Platform 1
    E.G.

13. ianh

ianh Member

Farmer -
    Has the track been laid for the EMU yet? seems to be cutting it a bit fine...

14. secr1084

secr1084 New Member

It won't take too long to dump a few scrap panels of track on the old formation, I can't see the justification for Notwork Rail to do a first class job, they have too much on their plate already!

I presume the projected date for the first graffiti attack and first broken side light, will be the following night!

Also a big thank you, to Gordon for all the information.

15. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Yes many thanks to Gordon for the info on the Class 73. I guess I have to agree with what Nick also said for the reasons of hiring in the 73. At the end of the day the loco crisis isn't going to improve this year. 5199 and the 7F will be leaving soon, the U is still in the works, the C still has problems with it's springs, 9017 will be leaving for LLangollen and the O1 will be going to the K&ESR for a short period then it's ticket is expiring. Hopefully 34059 will be ready to steam soon but whether the E4 or S15 makes it out at the end of the year is anyone's guess. So through gritted teeth yes I agree the 73 is definately needed to cut costs and protect our already dwindling steam fleet.

16. OltonHall

OltonHall New Member

on that basis will 9017 be going to Llangollen ? when patently the Bluebell can't afford to let it go

17. 76079

76079 Member

will the 01 be a fairly fast turn round?

is it not worth maybe bringing the standard in for a possible extension to the boiler ticket?

18. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    Matt:

From my recollection the 01 had an almost new boiler which is why it only required a re-tube the last time around.

Good point about the standard, buys a little breathing space..

Regards
    Chris

19. David

David Member

water meter reader
    I'm not sure if there are any plans for the O1 to have a quick turn around. After 34059 is finished there is the E4, S15 and P no.1178 in the works. Then 73082 and I guess the Q that's shot to the top of the overhaul queue, what's after 541 I don't know maybe Stowe or the H class.

20. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Any news yet when 34059 will be finished.

Thanks