If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell 2009 "Modernisation"

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by davycrocket, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Both Stowe and the H Class need a substantial amount of boiler work done on them, so I expect that 80151 will be overhauled in preference, plus one or more of the smaller locos.

There is talk in the latest Bluebell news of the MLS and Bulleid societies getting new inner fireboxes for 21C123 and 928 from an outside contractor, so perhaps they will come into play at some point. I wonder if 9017 would also be a candidate for a rapid turn around?

Regards,

Dan

2. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I was under the impression that Stowe was one of the next locos to be overhauled it will be a big shame if other locos jump above Stowe.

3. 6880rules

6880rules Member

Motor Trade
    At this point in time 9017 is still booked to go to Llangollen

It is pencilled in to arrive early March and be put straight into the paintshop

Details of departure back to the Bluebell have yet to be finalised depending on photocharters and other locomotives

The earning potential of 9017s return to the lines she once run on AND the livery change are quite substantial something which I feel the Bluebell do not want to miss out on

Again many thanks to guys who have put this together in somewhat hard times may I also say I am pleased with the way 5199 was looked after, acheiving a 100% relaibility record at the Bluebell

4. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Hopefully 34059 should be ready by Easter time. [-o<

5. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

I wonder how many £££££ it would take for Bluebell Railway to run passenger charter with 73136? Or indeed how much interest there would be for a diesel hauled charter?

6. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Im just curious to know why a charter with the 73 would be desired.It wasnt a class that ran over the line so you arent re-creating anything, the management and a lot of volunteers dont want it to happen,that is clear, and there is no matching coaching stock.

Dont get me wrong, Im a 73 fan, have been since I saw E6024 (i think it was) brand new at Reading Station in 1969 (and wondered what the hell it was...)

7. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Presumably because it would raise money, which the railway sadly needs.

8. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Yes agreed it may raise much needed funds for the Bluebell, but for the reasons Arthur Maunsell has wrote, I don't think you would get many photters on this charter. The best person to ask is Jon Bowers who organises superb charters on the Bluebell.

9. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Many diesel enthusiasts do track ,but refuse to do steam.Hence Bluebell remains required track.

When was the last time a diesel ran from Sheffield Park-Kingscote?A 73 is just as authentic(or not),as Sir Archibald Sinclair-so I assume you cannot imagine why anyone would want to travel behind that in 2009 either,on the Bluebell.

For my part,imagine telling your grandchildren you had a diesel on the Bluebell.They would have you booked into the asylum in days.

10. arthur maunsell

in that case modern enthusisasts are odder than I imagined! Wouldnt it be much more relevant to photo it doing a revenue-earning job (for itself) of Historic importance for the Bluebell than simply to have aride behind it for the sake of it?

11. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

"railways" are a broad church - people get a kick from various different bits of the hobby. Some people from riding trains; others from photographing them; others from restoring them; and on it goes.

There are quite a few (not me included) who collect track - IMHO the Bluebell are missing out here by not running the 73 on,say, a premium priced service one weekend only.

12. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Most diesel enthusiasts are into travelling on trains,not photographing them.
    They think it wierd that someone would stand in a field etc for two hours ,when a steam train passes them once an hour,and unless its a fairlie,half the time it's facing the wrong direction.

Personally,I find it hard to believe,that a railway that requires so much money to catch up on steam overhauls and tip clearance costs could afford to turn away the chance to earn some much needed revenue.

13. arthur maunsell

Yes probably they are..maybe they could run it under cover of darkness and only tell selected people its happening.... :-$

14. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Trouble is, if anyone was able to hire the 73 for a charter or a days running with passenger stock (has anyone actually asked the Bluebell, rather than just "talking about it"??) then there are going to be lots of people jumping around making much of what had happened, " look, they are no longer all steam...we told you so...etc" instead of just getting on with life.

If they want to stay all steam for passenger services, then so be it. It is their decision.

Having said that, diesels can have a place on a Heritage line without spoiling things. The Severn Valley has the first turn out of Kidderminster in the main summer timetable as diesel-hauled, and publicised for all to see in the timetable, as I think the Glos-Warks do also. Standing at the Kidderminster station throat recently I thought how efficient it was to have the class 20 bringing each successive set of coaching stock out of the carriage shed ready for the steam loco to hook on in the station. I guess also the 20 is there if a steam loco fails for whatever reason and can intervene quickly.
    Maybe as the Bluebell steam loco shortage develops, they might change their attitude, but at the end of the day it is their decision.

Join the BRPS if you want a voice!

15. tom92240

tom92240 Part of the furniture

Lazy
    Yes. More of a watch this space thing at the moment though. :-#

16. John Elliot Jnr

John Elliot Jnr Well-Known Member

Museum curator
  17. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

I read about the Class 73 on the Bluebell's own website, so there's no intrigue or subterfuge - nor should there be - it's sensible, cost effective and quicker to task. Apparently the Class 08 won't be available in the January timeframe hence the need for an alternative. But why are volunteers here and elsewhere so touchy? The slightest perceived comment whether intended as criticism or not provokes and immediate overreaction of "justified aggrievance" against some supposed minor slight or dig. Why this assumption that every volunteer only wants to dig spitefully at everyone else? Are these commentators adults or sulky children? Anyone on here reacting so these supposed "digs" at the Bluebell must have a huge chip on their shoulder.
    For my part I love the Bluebell - its heritage, atmosphere and historical significance exceeds most other preserved lines, and its future with not one but two realistic extension projects puts it beyond all other lines. (I'm not a volunteer there but I have bought shares to help with their ventrure). But if the result of this past and future excellence is that some of its members perceive themselves as targets of jealous sniping rather than admiration then they need to get away from the railway for its sake as well as their own because they are never going to be happy in their work.
    THis is all supposed to be about enjoyment for visitors. Petulance shows.

18. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

There was a BR Class 73 named after the Bluebell. I seem to recall that when a similar loco was named after the Kent & East Sussex, it visited that line (by road) and worked some trains. I presume nothing similar happened with the one named after the Bluebell, in which case, where was the naming done?

19. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Actually two 73s were named after Bluebell Railway.Firstly 73004,then after that was withdrawn 73133.

73004 was named whilst on Railtrack,East Grinstead from memory,but could be wrong re that.

20. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    That would do no good at this present time Roger as the PLC have all but taken over the Society.

YOu are cut out as a marked man and trougbemaker if you raise any points or objections.

Regards
    Chris Willis