If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Motive Power

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Orion, Nov 14, 2011.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

I hear today from a Bluebell member 92212 is now staying at the Bluebell until December 2013.

2. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    That could be true. The Bluebell website said this on the 23rd. ''After a slightly eventful journey, the 9F, No.92212, has arrived on Bluebell metals again. Initially it will provide cover for the Santa Special services, and is then expected to play a major part in the first year of full-line operations into East Grinstead''. 92212 also isn't listed for the MHR's Spring Gala at this moment..

3. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Update on the Bluebell e-mail group says that 1638 has broken stays. So I guess with the 9F now staying until December 2013 sadly means Sir Archie won't be repaired and returned to steam next year due to the ongoing repairs to our current loco fleet.

4. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I thought work on 592 and 473 was due anyway and was why 3650 was brought in although I will be happy to be corrected. 1638 however does cause a worry. Presumably this will have a cause a further knock to 847's overhaul, 541's as well and as what David says 34059's repair work (unless she jumps the queue due to the Big Give campaign).

5. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    The way I see it, we have two large locos (3650 & 92212) and two medium locos (B473 & 263) as well as the two P's to run the Santas, I'm not up to date with how the Santas will be operating this year, but if it's two 6 car trains, the Victorian train plus whatever Golden Arrow trains are expected to run, then what we have is sufficient (but with no contingency for failures). However for 2013-14 the motive power situation will improve massively, I expect work is concentrating on repairs to 1638 and the valve & cylinder work to 592 which as a guess could they both be returned to traffic in January/February? 847 and 541 benefit from their own working parties so hopefully work on them won't be slowed too much. With a fair wind 847 could be finished in the spring with 541 following after. So possibly for the peak season we could have 4 large locos (three resident, one hired) three medium (the robust B473, a rejuvenated 592 and the fairly recently completed 263) supported by the two P's where necessary. Attention can turn to 34059's boiler (which hopefully will be fully funded by then, big plus!) and 73082. I seem to remember and estimate of 9 months for the work to 34059 so maybe Spring 2014 for her, as for 73082, I think we're getting a bit far into the future to be estimating completion dates :wink:.

In short, fingers crossed, everything should be fine once the Santa season is over and the pressure is off somewhat. But it's all very easy to say, but quite the opposite for the strained and under-resourced loco dept to get through that hefty workload.

Matt

(Looking on the bright side)

6. 73129

On the up side hiring in two locos will allow the shed staff time to fix the home fleet.

7. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Indeed. Hiring a loco in looks expensive, but has to be set against the fact that when aggregated over ten years, your own loco is suffering hundreds of pounds of wear and tear every time you steam it. Ideally we would have enough resources to maintain a sustainable fleet, but we aren't there at the moment. In the meantime, we'll periodically need to hire in locos, but it is not the out and out cost that many people seem to think. The fact that the MHR evidently have locos to spare is a credit to their organisation, though in the long run these things tend to go in phases of feast and famine.

What is clear - and is laid out in the draft long term plan - is that when we get to East Grinstead, we need to concentrate hard on loco availability: that means a boiler shop to improve workshop productivity; more undercover storage to prevent deterioration of out-of-traffic engines; and relaying worn out track to stop the spate of spring failures, which for a seemingly minor repair, are a major drain on resources that would otherwise be spent in restoration work. And we need to think structurally about how to harness the fundraising capability of the Bluebell Trust to deliver funding for essentially maintenance tasks.

Tom

8. Funnell

Funnell New Member

Pullman Steward
    As I understand this is the state of play,

Santa's - 3 x 6 coach trains between SP and HK and on some dates Golden Arrow and/or Victorian Christmas. One of the P tanks will also be used for steam heating and shunting at SP.

Loco's -
    available for traffic; 3650, 92212, B473, 263, 178, 323, 55 and 3. Although 55 and 3 won't be much use in December as 55 can't shunt and 3 can't steam heat.

592 is currently in the works as stated on earlier posts.

1638 has cracked firebox stays but these are high up in the firebox meaning the boiler doesn't need to be lifted in order to repair. All cladding etc will have to be taken off in order to complete. Then a steam and hydraulic test will have to be carried out meaning all boiler fittings will have to be removed prior to the hydraulic test. Work is not really progressing at present so completion is still some months away.

847 is progressing slowly but when the boiler smith turns his attention to 1638 boiler work on 847 will cease thus putting competition back again.

I'm not sure about 73082 and 34059 but work is focussing on the above 3 locos so these 2 are some way off still.

9. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Just come across a fascinating video of 263 from a police helicopter's thermal imaging camera, quite a sight!

Chris

10. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Post 292 beat you to it!

11. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Argh! I knew i should've checked.... apologies everyone.

12. Jamessquared

Just a note that on Friday, the "Big Give" starts, which is another match funding exercise aiming to raise £60,000 for firebox repairs to Sir Archibald Sinclair. I've posted more details in the Bulleid thread, and will keep that thread updated, but cross-posting here in case anyone here missed that thread.

Tom

13. 73129

Reading SR mag today there is a small article about 92212 tender becoming unsettled When in transit Between the MHR and the Bluebell. Does any one know what damage or if any damage was caused to the tender?

Cheers

14. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Unsettled? Was it travel sick? Panic stricken, perhaps?

15. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

What concerned me was the comment that, once it was railed it appeared to be leaning! More new springs?

16. Jamessquared

I'll see if anyone knows tomorrow when I am there. But whatever it was, it can't have been too serious since she is rostered to be in service today and tomorrow.

Tom

17. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

That's good news. Perhaps one of the MH Wednesday gang left the cakes in and it shifted slightly! ;)

18. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
  19. mike redditch

mike redditch New Member

The YouTube clip suggests that the loco was struggling, from the sounds of it the valve timings could do with setting it sounds more like a Super D!

20. Funnell

Funnell New Member

Pullman Steward
    The section time is 25 minutes between SP and HK during Santa Specials which may allow for 3650 sounding like it is struggling. Also it is just approaching a 5mph speed restriction!