If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Motive Power

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Orion, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Oh yeah whoops. Also whilst she didn't have a tender at the time (and won't now) 78059 arrived at Sheffield Park facing south before work began on converting her to 84030.

2. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    830 faced south during her time on the BB.

3. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

4. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    I'd say the Bluebell have gone for another April Fools given the way that section is written. They've done it for a few years now such as listing a Diesel Gala and Bluebell having one of those smartphone scanner images (or whatever the correct name is. At my age I should know lol). Then again it could be true.

Also Bluebell News seems to suggest that the Sussex Branch Line Gala in October could feature a visiting Thumper. (No this isn't an Aprils either unless its one Bluebell News came up with.

5. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Rats! Fell for that one. You're right - Bluebell Railway - Locomotive Works News - 541

Teach me to be gullible - and I was thinking that those locos probably didn't carry lined livery!

Steve B

6. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    The Bluebell email newsletter that has just gone out has Baxter going on a bit of a grand tour:

Good to see Baxter going out and earning its keep and acting as a roving ambassador.

7. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

9F due to be used from 6th April - 15th April 2012 inclusive, plus last weekend in April, and 3 out of the 4 weekends in May according to the loco roster Bluebell Railway Locomotive Duty Roster

8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
  9. Jamessquared

The H class 263 was out on an engineers train yesterday, being run in before properly entering service. She has also done some shunting of the carriage shed a few days ago. Still needs final lining and lettering, but basically complete and apparently running well.

Videos (not mine) here: MLawrence2008 - YouTube and TheDigitaldodo - YouTube

Tom

10. 34098

34098 Member Account Suspended

is 92240 lined up for an overhaul in the next couple of years ?

11. Jamessquared

Not imminently.

With 263 more or less finished, current locos "in the works" are 541, 847, 73082 all likely to be finished in the next 1 - 2 years (plus 27, 84030 and 32424 being worked on more slowly or with longer to go to complete them).

There is a commitment to work on 65 in the near future AFAIK; at a guess I'd say when 541 is finished.

Fundraising (by the Bulleid Society) is continuing to fund the repairs to 34059's firebox - apparently approximately half the money required has been raised so far. The work required is sufficiently extensive that once complete, the boiler will obtain an entirely new "ten year" boiler certificate.

After 34059, I'd suggest the next "large" loco to be worked on is likely to be one of the 80xxx tanks due to their all round usefulness.

All of that is projecting quite a long way forward, so while I would never say never, it's hard to imagine 92240 going into the works any time soon. Additionally, assuming 34059's repair is successful, having 73082, 34059 and 847 all newly restored, there would be no operational need for another "giant" loco for at least 10 - 12 years.

That's my reading of the situation; not an official Bluebell view of the loco works programme.

Tom

12. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Is it true that 92240 is actually in quite good condition and I guess for the Standard 4's it would come down to which is in better condition 80064 and 80151.

Great to see 263 running again and can't wait to see her in service and as soon as 65 is in service it'll be great to have 5 SECR locos in service 4 in SECR colours. Is 847 still heading for a Summer entry into service because doesn't the loan expire for 92212 in July which could be extended but presumably the MHR would want it back for their Autumn Gala in early September.

13. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    It was said by Lewis Nodes in last year's Bluebell News that 92240 was basically in good condition and required perhaps less than a year's work to return to steam, however as Tom has said there isn't a need for big engines in steam. So sadly it's been out of steam for around 10 years now, I think it was around 2001/2 when it was withdrawn, and looks like we'll have to wait for another 10 years until it gets to the top of the overhaul queue. Pity when you think that it could be overhauled in a relatively "quick" time as she seems to be in pretty good nick mechanically.

In terms of no.847, I mentioned on the Mid-Hants thread that I'd heard from someone during the K&ESR gala who had visited the Bluebell the day before that he'd been told the S15 wasn't expected to be finished until around October time so the loco won't be available in time for the Maunsell themed gala.

14. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Yeah its because of that why I brought up 847.

I didn't realise that 73082 was only a year or two off though.

15. 34098

has it been in the sheds down sheffield park or stored out in the open 92240 that is haven't been to the bluebell since it last steamed.

16. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

So if there isn't a need for 92240 Why hire in 92212 for? Surley there must be a smaller loco out there that could be hired in?

17. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Given how much work 92212 is picking up I would have thought there is a case for 92240 being repaired as a spare or hire out loco by the owning group if a repair is relatively simple? 9F's have impressed on many heritage lines and given their power and relatively modern design I can't understand the somewhat reluctance of railways to run them (aside from cost of course!).

18. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Since October 2009 both 92240 and 75027 have been stored outside at Horsted Keynes but are recieving cosmetic work including layers of red oxide paint to help protect the locos (not sure if this is correct as I don't have much understaing of it). I think 92240 needed it as the BR Late Crest was very faded as indeed it was during service. I think she was withdrawn in about October/November 2002.

19. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

If that is the case then it makes even less sense as what was once relatively straightforward repair will undoubtedly become even more complex with outside storage, no matter how much paint is added.

20. 34098

I think it was only big loco available at short notice