If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Motive Power

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Orion, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I assume you are referring to this photo - it is the only one by John Sandys from that shows Stepney:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluebellrailway/14196273235/in/set-72157644272290489

Looks to me like the safety valves have been dismantled to allow a look into the boiler, but no further dismantling.

As has been noted above, the engine failed with what was thought to be a cracked main steam pipe: I assume the photo above shows someone from the workshop staff attempting to see if they could locate the crack. (I'm led to believe the failure was in the J pipe running up into the dome).

Stepney was towed dead up to HK a couple of weekend's ago for the Stepney Club / birthday celebrations, and since then has returned to SP where she is currently dozing in the engine shed ...

Tom

2. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

hi tom,
    many thanks for that info which is very interesting.
    cheers,
    julian

3. Jamessquared

Sort of old news now, but as it is an interesting historical relic, some photos of the boiler repairs to Maunsell Q class 541, showing the wartime damage sustained by the loco in 1943. I hasten to add the words and photos are mine, but all the actual work was done by people with far more engineering skill!

The boiler has seen significant repairs to the firebox, in the process revealing details of the war damage it suffered in July 1943. At that time, the boiler (No. 1076) was attached to locomotive 542. During a bombing raid, the boiler was damaged by bomb fragments, resulting in two large sections of damage on the right hand side of the firebox. One damaged section is on the back corner, and one is on the right hand side, as well as numerous smaller dents. The inner firebox was also pierced at the back corner by the bomb.

The two main areas of damage were repaired during the war using temporary patches; as well as the inner-firebox also being patched. No doubt the wartime shortage of raw materials ensured that copper for an entirely new inner firebox was not available. After the wartime repair, the boiler was reunited with locomotive 533. Finally, in June 1953, the inner firebox was replaced with a new one (which is the firebox the boiler carries today) and the repaired boiler – still with its patches to the outer firebox shell – was given to our loco, No. 541.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamessquared/14065772587/in/set-72157644396692047/ (Photo taken March 2013)

The boiler with the damaged material cut out awaiting fitment of the new section. For reference, the boiler is sitting upside down, with the foundation ring at the top of the photo.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamessquared/14066979537/in/set-72157644396692047/

The removed patch (right) and war-damaged boilerplate (left), revealing the shell hole. For scale, the ruler is 12” long.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamessquared/14065777307/in/set-72157644396692047/

In order to fashion a new piece of boilerplate to let in to the resulting hole, a former was constructed. This former has a complex shape as it curves in two different planes, the resulting piece of metal being saddle shaped. The old material was used as a template to ensure the former was the correct shape; then once made, a new piece of boilerplate was heated and beaten into shape over the former.

The photo shows the former and the old metal in place to demonstrate the fit between former and the resulting section of boilerplate.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamessquared/14066941090/in/set-72157644396692047/

The new plate was welded into place in the boiler. The new material needed to be formed to an accuracy of less than 1mm to ensure that undue stresses were not introduced into the boiler shell.

The photo shows the new piece welded in situ. For orientation, the boiler is lying on its side, with the firehole door at the top of the photo and the foundation ring on the left hand side.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamessquared/14251769872/in/set-72157644396692047/

Tom

oldmrheath, Martin Perry and Steve B like this.
  4. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Had a "fun" day there today......

Boy was I happy to see that Maroon lump, that chews Brasso, cold in the shed! ;)

847 MORE than made up for it........ :)

Though, strangely, the first bit of Bluebell motive power I saw today, was a Routemaster running clockwise round the M25 just after 7:30 this morning, emblazoned with BB advertising...................... lost was he? :confused:

5. Jamessquared

Quite possibly the Chairman's Routemaster ...

Tom

6. Duty Druid

As I said........................... were 'e lost?...................................

7. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

What was running instead of 5521/L150 ? 847 was due to be running anyway.

8. Duty Druid

1638 :)

Sorry, its been a loooong day - the journey back round the M25 was NOT fun..................... though I fared better than those going anti clock!!

Now I'm Chillaxing with a well earned beer, whilst going through the photo's! :);) (might even stick a gallery up on me website!)

9. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Is that Watneys Red Barrel your drinking there Dave.:)

10. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

1638 on the Southern set :)

Something by Triple fff ?

11. Duty Druid

Lee, wash yer mouth out!...................................... :mad: That stuff, quite rightly, bit the dust many moons ago! ;)

Sadly not. :( would've been some detour that just to stock on their elixir!!:eek:

Just some Tangle Foot.

And yes 1638 did look and sound good...... had trips behind both..... 847 it seems doesn't like curves................. we stopped about a mile short of HK while the driver checked things over after hearing strange noises emanating from below.................

12. Duty Druid

deleted.... duplicate post...

13. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

I suspected as much...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Duty Druid

Well, I said I might put a gallery up from Saturday...................... and HERE................. it is! :)

15. Biggles633

Biggles633 New Member

Gas Engineer
    Why do people take such an offence/dislike to 5521?

16. Duty Druid

Personally, I don't................................. I just sick of the sight of her! A touch too much Steam on the Met methinks.................................. :rolleyes:

To others it "might" just be the livery...................... :eek:

And as for loco crews............................ the lads I spoke to on Saturday weren't exactly enamoured by it............................ their words were, to get it to do anything, " you drive it like you've nicked it!! o_O

17. Biggles633

Biggles633 New Member

Gas Engineer
    Granted the livery is a means to an end for London Transport and looks different.
    It's more than capable to do the work, do the crews dislike the 56xx as well ?
    I'd be more than happy to take 5521 off the Bluebells hands.

18. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    No I do not currently volunteer
    As I understand it 5643 goes like the clappers and has won several friends around the place. I think 5521 isn't helped by the fact that when it first came it broke down every time someone thought about fire within a 50 metre radius.

Much like Met 1, it may be a fine beast but first impressions count, which is why hot boxes follow her wherever she goes.

19. Jamessquared

20. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

Took the wife to the Bluebell earlier-there was fun on the 5:34 down from Horsted Keynes. Just after we pulled out of the station a well dressed, dapper chap dropped his glasses from the train. He pulled the communication cord, and jumped straight out of the moving train onto the ballast. Fairly decent application for the Darwin awards I reckon-wouldn't have been pretty if he'd slipped... Either way he was definitely not allowed back on board!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk