If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway East Grinstead Opening Gala - SPring 2013

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Jamessquared, Nov 18, 2012.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Not everyone will join a charter at the starting point of a charter. Last year there was a charter that started at Alresford on the MHR. Which is also in the middle of nowhere.

2. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think it could work but would have to be a day where no trains are operating on the line although this would limit it running to a mid week during the Off Peak season as well as stopping at Horsted on route.

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    John, that sounds great except, you've got it going in the wrong direction! (check my location...)

More seriously, I think this proves the point. Even if we had the same volume of charters as Swanage (a stretch, without a convenient beach), that means somewhere between 2 and 6 charters in a year arriving and departing from SP. By contrast, we have somewhere over 2000 of our own trains departing SP each year. At best, charters will be the icing sugar that dusts the icing on the cake...

Worth re-iterating the reasons why we have extended to EG in the first place. This isn't an official view (in the sense that there is no document that states this list) but I think accords with the generally held "corporate" view.

In rough order of importance:

1) To have a station in a sizeable population centre that is an attractive destination in its own right (i.e. East Grinstead). Previously the joke was always that we went from nowhere to nowhere. Now we go from nowhere to somewhere. Most other Heritage Railways in the "big league" have a sizeable town and / or attractive tourist destination at at least one end, and maybe both: Bridgnorth, Minehead, Swanage, Alresford, Sheringham, Grosmont (and Whitby), Tenterden etc. Previously that is something we lacked; now it is something that we are on the verge of achieving. We don't need a connection for that; simply a presence in EG.

2) To enable passengers to arrive at our railway by rail with a convenient (walking distance) connection. Previously, if you wanted to come by rail, you had to go to EG and get a bus paid for by us; or go to Haywards Heath and get a bus from there. Now you can come from London (or points north) and walk a hundred yards and catch our service. Previously, if you wanted to go on the Golden Arrow on a Saturday evening and drink, you had to get a taxi to SP (a long way from anywhere). Now you will be able to come by train, catch our last down service train, pick up the evening Arrow and get out on the last trip to connect with a Southern service back to London. We don't need a connection for that; simply a presence in EG near the mainline station.

3) To enable us to get P/Way materials (and equipment, such as tampers) onto the railway more cheaply than bringing them in by road. There is also a higher likelihood that mainline infrastructure companies could use the railway as a convenient base to carry out training in a quiet location, and in exchange we would get maintenance work done at reduced cost.

Related to this is that the mainline connection made construction of the extension cheaper by virtue of being able to take out rubbish more cheaply.

This is the first reason that actually requires a physical connection to the mainline.

4) To enable us to accept incoming charters.

5) To enable us to offer an alternative freight route; for example to the brickworks at West Hoathly by laying in a private siding.

1 - 3 are considerably more important than 4, which in turn is more likely than 5, which is speculative (but explicitly mentioned as a possibility in the draft LTP).

I'm sure that if you asked the MHR what was important about the extension to Alton; or the SVR about the benefits of the extension to Kidderminster; or the WSR about the extension to Norton Fitzwarren, you would come up with a similar list, probably in the same or similar priority order.

Tom

4. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Alresford has a population of 5000 while i expect Sheffield Park is less than 100.It makes more sense to run trains like Steam Dreams do from Lewes with pickups at Haywards Heath and Redhill. Haywards Heath has a large Carpark approx 618 spaces.

5. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    A thought occurs about a possible second visitor. I remember reading in an issue of Bluebell News before the 50th Anniversary in 2010 and the Chairman Roy Watts said there was a well known painter who wanted to see his 9F into East Grinstead. Maybe we could see 92203 visiting although I'm a little doubtful as 92212 is on loan but with David Shepherd possibly selling the loco soon it could be one of his last chances.

6. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
  7. Jamessquared

All bookings for the first and other special trains will open at 10 a.m. on 8 Feb. For more information and tickets, call the Sales and Information Office at 01825 720800.

Tom

8. Jamessquared

Opening day is now 6 weeks away. The schedule of events planned is as follows:

Saturday 23rd March ~ Opening Day Gala timetable trains every 45 minutes. First Train Champagne Breakfast. Evening Gala Pullman.

Sunday 24th March ~ Opening Weekend Gala timetable trains every 45 minutes.

Monday 25th March ~ New service two. "Officers' Special" on board the Observation Car.

Tuesday 26th March ~ New service two. Guided tours of East Grinstead High Street advance booking essential.

Wednesday 27th March ~ New service two. Visiting locomotive in service.

Thursday 28th March ~ Special timetable. First through excursion from London. Special Class 73 hauled train on the Bluebell. Advance booking essential.

Friday 29th March ~ New service two. Bo Peep Specials. First Wealden Rambler Afternoon Tea service to East Grinstead.

Saturday 30th March ~ New service two. Bo Peep Special. First Golden Arrow evening Pullman to East Grinstead.

Sunday 31st March ~ New service two. Bo Peep Special. Special evening service for Sainsbury’s at East Grinstead.

Monday 1st April ~ New service two. Bo Peep Special. Wealden Rambler Afternoon Tea.

Tuesday 2nd April ~ New service two. Special guided tour of the National Trust Sheffield Park Garden.

Wednesday 3rd April ~ New service two. Special event to be announced.

Thursday 4th April ~ New service two. Special evening Cheese & Wine Party plus quiz on board the Wealden Rambler commencing at East Grinstead.

Friday 5th April ~ New service two. East Grinstead residents day. First Rail Ale special starting at East Grinstead.

Saturday 6th April ~ New service two. Bell ringers special. Bus service Horsted Keynes station to village. Tours of St Giles Church and the grave of former Prime Minister Harold Macmillan.

Sunday 7th April ~ New service two. Free vintage buses and discount admission to National Trust Standen. Evening Service of Thanksgiving.

The first two weekends will be a four train service, with departures every 45 minutes. First departure will I think be 09:30 ex SP.

"New Service 2" is a two train service with departures every 1h15, starting at 09:45 ex SP and 10:45 ex EG. The last midweek service will be 4:00pm ex SP and 5:00pm ex EG, but on Saturdays, New Service 2 will have a later departure (5:15pm ex SP / 6:30pm ex EG) that will allow passengers from London to come by train and meet the evening Golden Arrow; and will also allow day visitors from points north of EG to have a realistically long day if they want to visit Sheffield Park Gardens.

As usual, more details to come, so keep an eye on East Grinstead Festival

Tom

9. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Is 70000 still a planned visitor? Because on March 26th she's down for a Cathedrals Express from Newbury to Canterbury and on the 27th a visiting loco is in steam.

10. Jamessquared

Dan - the visiting loco situation seems quite fluid at the moment: as I understand it, negotiations are ongoing on a couple of fronts and a formal announcement about visiting engines should be made in a couple of weeks.

Tom

11. malc

malc Part of the furniture

A charter starting starting at SP would almost certainly depart at least a couple of hours before the first Bluebell service train and not be back until after the service had finished, so I don't think there would be too many limits from that point of view.

As has been suggested though, gauging may be more of any issue. Several promoters have proposed steam charters to EG in the past, but the only one that has actually run was re-routed to Uckfield due to gauging issues.

12. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Many thanks again Tom.

13. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
  14. Jamessquared

Just a note for photographers about the extension.

AFAIK, there will be no lineside access north of Kingscote for those with lineside photographic purposes. The reason for this is because there are three obstructions between KC and EG: the narrow section just north of Kingscote (within which even Bluebell p/way staff and others are not allowed to be present without a full possession); then the cutting itself; then the viaduct; and there are no public footpaths that cross the line that would allow access between those points. Hence no line side access. The photos from the John Sandys have shown the sort of views that are available from the two bridges either side of the cutting. Please note that the northern bridge is on a path to a farm; the southern bridge is on a busy road. If you do want to take photos from either vantage point, please park considerately.

With regard the light, the general trend of the line is SW to NE in that area.

Tom

15. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Thanks for the heads-up on this situation Tom. Disappointing but understandable that no line side access will be granted for us photters.

Cheers

16. Jamessquared

I don't think there is really any option. The narrow section (which starts only about 200 yards north of the loop point at Kingscote) has no clearance on the East side; and the west side is on such a steep embankment that there is no possible path except along the track. So couple that with restricted visibility (that section is on a curve) and it is impossible to have anyone in that area when trains are running. Even as it is, we are going to be limited to 10mph through that section in both directions. The cutting also has limited visibility as can be seen from the photos; for example, you can't see one end from the other. And the viaduct speaks for itself.

Will be interesting what views photographers eventually alight upon: the view south from Imberhorne Lane Bridge looks good, but might just be a bit "head on". The engines will be working pretty hard there; and ditto the view north from the occupation bridge, where down trains will be working hard (for B473, 323 etc that face south). I wonder if there will be any good viewpoints from ground level looking at trains on the viaduct, or whether it is too constricted to get far enough back for a good view.

Edit: this photo (not mine; looking north) shows the narrow section and the restricted clearance on the east side, the steep drop on the west and the curve of the line that restricts visibility. It's only about 200 yards, but enough to be dangerous if there are people walking in the area.

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pic2/wn/2013a/kc_up_adv_starter_johns_7feb13h.jpg

Tom

17. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Why so restricted? Was part of the track bed sold off?

18. Jamessquared

Yes, when the line north of HK was shut, the liabilities for the tunnel and viaduct stayed with British Rail (and eventually the BR Residuary Board). The rest of the trcakbed was divided down the centre line and sold to a variety of agricultural, domestic and commercial owners, with Imberhorne cutting going to the County Council. Since that time, the various parcels of land have slowly been bought back by the Bluebell Railway (with the added complication that often that has meant negotaiting with different owners to the east and west of the trackbed), but in one short area north of Kingscote, shown in the photo I linked to, the railway couldn't successfully conclude an agreement with the landowners on the east side - hence the narrow section of trackbed.

Tom

19. Jamessquared

20. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Certainly not on the eastern side I would wager, as it tends to be on you a bit quick. The only spot I have ever found (having done some initial scouting last year) was a bend in Garden Wood Road which presents a decent span of the viaduct to get a shot (probably have to be a summertime afternoon restriction though), and there even seems to be room to park your car on the side of that road. On Google maps, type in the postcode RH19 1JU and work down to where the road takes a sweeping bend next to the stream. Looks the best bet.