If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway East Grinstead Opening Gala - SPring 2013

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Jamessquared, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Timetables on the Bluebell website with allocations, click on service for the relevent day on this page Bluebell Railway - Public Train Information

Direct links for 23rd Bluebell Railway - Public Train Information and 24th http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pti/2403.html

Stepney is also on the first train from East Grinstead and the U is now with set B and the 9F with set A.

2. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

To give credit where credit is due, I have noticed a significant increase in timely and useful information appearing on the Bluebell Web site in the last few days.

And Tom. Enjoy your holiday, especially meeting up with your family again.

Cheers,

Bryan

3. Paul42

From the trains for the coming week page on the .co.uk website : -

"Southern services to East Grinstead, 23/24 March
    Southern will be operating through trains from London to East Grinstead on both days of the re-opening weekend, with the customary engineering works on the Oxted line suspended. On Saturday they will run from (and to) London Bridge instead of Victoria, departing at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour instead of 23 and 53; timings from East Croydon and points south as usual. On Sunday the normal service to and from Victoria will operate, but a diversion will mean later departure times from East Croydon and points south, and a later arrival time at East Grinstead; Up trains will call at Norwood Junction instead of Selhurst."

4. dan.lank

dan.lank Member

Hi all,
    I've got two reserved tickets for the 9:45 down from East Grinstead tomorrow-the first one. The friend I was going with has had to pull out, so I have one going spare. Is anyone interested? It's £22.50-I've already paid the booking fee. PM me if you need one, if you're is hoping to travel on the unreserved carriage it might save missing it!

5. Paul42

6. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  7. Paul42

A light covering of snow at East Grinstead this morning and snowing lightly.

I will be on the 9.45am from East Grinstead to Sheffield Park.

8. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    We are going to have to give it a miss as a friend who was coming with us today texted me at 6.15 this morning to say the snow had arrived where he lives. Got up to find a lot of snow here in Hampshire. Can't trust the electric services in this weather so we aren't risking it. We will definitely visit soon though. Hope it all goes well for the Bluebell.

9. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
  10. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Fantastic day. I took the 10:05 up to East Grinstead (a train that for all but the front 2 coaches was occupied) and on the return ended up standing I spent most of the day behind 92212 with a trip on 178 and 263 from Horsted Keynes to East Grinstead and return to Sheffield Park. Sadly I ended up putting a battery in my camera that wasn't fully charged so some photos are from my camera and some from my phone. Had a nice chat with two shareholders in 5199 and the Betton Grange project in the Mets.

I'm thinking of going again on Easter Monday to try and get some more pictures then, although the snow did create some nice pictures if a bit cold (well for me who should have put more layers on, doh!).

Here are my pictures Bluebell Railway East Grinstead Opening Gala Photos by DanHill1991 | Photobucket

11. Paul42

There was a great atmosphere on the railway today despite the weather. I spent the day behind either 473+323 or 263+178. 323 & 55 were on the rear of the 9.45am departure from East Grinstead. 55 came off at Horsted Keynes to do the brake van rides. My photos can be found at Zenfolio | Paul Simpson | Bluebell Railway East Grinstead Opening Weekend | Photo 5 and include a photo of the board to mark "Holden Summit" in the cutting.

12. pete12000

pete12000 Member

The Gala timetables show trains crossing at both Horsted Keynes and Kingscote, Horsted Keynes shouldn't be difficult, but is there sufficient time at Kingscote to change trains?

thanks

13. Funnell

Funnell New Member

Pullman Steward
    I would say you needed to be quick and ready to change trains but yes you could easily make a change at Kingscote during the Four train timetable.

14. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Thankyou, I'm heading down on Good Friday so the info' in advance is welcome!

15. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Couldn't Make the gala this weekend. How well attended was the gala?

Thanks

16. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Not quite sure. When I got to Sheffield Park not long after 9:00 the overflow car park was open and had a number of cars in there. East Grinstead was busy when I got off the 10:55 arrival there and stood on the way back. But after I managed to get a seat on each train after but seats still filled out until later in the day but that happens at most galas anyway.

17. Paul42

Good loadings on most trains, only saw one train where passengers were standing. Always found a seat. When I got off the penulitmate train to EG - 4.45pm from SP ( from the front coach) and looked down the platform I did not have a clear view of the other end of the platform due to the amount of people that have got off the train.

18. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Sounds like people weren't put off by the weather over the weekend. Always nice to hear a gala well attended. I hope to see a few photos from other Nat Press members who made a visit to the gala.

19. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
  20. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Was at West Hoathly today, didn't look overly busy on trains but then the EG line was closed for engineering works. I suspect next weekend will be the acid test, start of the school holidays, Easter and (by the long range forecast) should be dry.