If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Bluebell Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamessquared, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Plus the 33 will make plenty of noise. At least 33111 does at Swanage.

2. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I also think Bluebell securing a diesel locomotive particularly in form of a Crompton is a very sensible and a very exciting move.

From a personal observation about obtaining a diesel brings in the possible following benefits which we could see.

- Passenger services continuing in times when weather is far too hot particularly if a steam ban might be needed.

- Should a loco failure occur early in the morning or at a time when not enough locomotives are available (one instance happened in 2019 when only the Q and O1 was available when Camelot failed one evening which meant the whole two train with one catering timetable was changed to a one train and one catering) having a diesel which can manage keeping to time and the passenger stock can at least keep the service going.

- In a way it can also help ease the pressure off of D4106 if need be. The 09 is pretty much in service every week although it does get maintenance when necessary but having a 33 could enable more quicker (in a way) shunts undertaken.

- Even though it might be unlikely at first but a possible Diesel Running Day opportunity could occur. I noted in the past on how successful 33103 was during the 2013 Model Weekend on one of its service trains plus other lines when they run a 33 how popular they can be. Never say never although it depends whether other staff at the railway will be open to the possibility.

- It also means that D6570 can now have a more certain future having been lying dormant for a while.

Johnme101, Kje7812, jnc and 1 other person like this.
  3. D1039

D1039 Guest

4. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Not if they paint it green it won't! ;)

D1039 likes this.
  5. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    ED837080-06BB-46A3-A7CA-BD23089AE810.jpeg I beg to differ :)

Nick C and A1X like this.
  6. desperado

desperado Member

I agree but ...
    • The eventual goal for the VEP is main-line running. They seem to have a better chance of this than any of the other preserved EMUs.
    • An opportunity was just missed to buy 33110 from Bodmin (now being restored in Essex by someone who apparently has wanted a 33/0, a 33/1 and a 33/2 for some time & now has them). 33108+33111 are both owned by the same group who would never sell just one of them. Similarly 33109+33117 are at the East Lancs. If you have 2 of something then one can act as a (temporary) source of spares for the other. That just leaves 33103 now at Wirksworth, 33102 at Cheddleton and 33116 owned by the NRM but based at Loughborough.
    • 33/0s are historically correct at least for East Grinstead. 33/1s are not.

D1039 and jnc like this.
  7. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
  8. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    I never said I disliked green (rather partial, acutually), it's just someone mentioning a pairing with the 4VEP, a class which, appearing in woad from the get-go, never wore it.

As a class with a long and distinguished Southern Region association, IMO a 33 is an eminently suitable choice .... whether in green or blue.

D1039 likes this.
  9. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    The odd 33/1 may have worked through to East Grinstead. Wasn't the 6TC Set used on Oxted line services? That presumably would have operated in push-pull mode with a 33. Certainly 33107 reached Uckfield in May 1984, but you are essentially correct - 33/0s were the norm during the 1970s and 1980s as motive power was provided largely by Hither Green-allocated Cromptons and all the 33/1s were based at Eastleigh.

Speaking as an armchair Bluebell member, my feelings are rather mixed. I do feel a bit sad that the line has taken one step further away from the 100% steam image of the past, but on the other hand, it's not as if the Crompton will be regularly rostered at the expense of steam traction and the argument in favour of a diesel "Thunderbird" is very convincing. A green 33 is therefore definitely the best option as it has sufficient power to do the job and the class has historical connections with the area, even if the route south of East Grinstead never saw one in pre-preservation days. Furthermore, giving D6570/33052 a couple of advertised special outings a year could bring a bit of extra income. So on balance, a wise move and one I hope which will not cause too many irate BRPS members to tear up their membership cards.

desperado, jnc, CH 19 and 2 others like this.
  10. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    I think you sum up my own feelings about it John. I wasn't too keen when the 08's and the 73 first arrive, however they played their part getting the line to EG (as did the GBRF 66's and the loaned in 33), and this move I think is ultimately a good decision going forward.

It will also be a benefit for line having a resident mainline Diesel to use for the Diesel Gala events the Railway has begun holding since the EG extension opened.

11. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I did say it was a pity that the 73 was turned down, I do understand the reasoning - to an extent! What is a P or Terrier rated at _ less than 600hp I would have thought, yet they can still play a useful role.

12. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Not though as thunderbirds to rescue a 200 ton train!

Interesting to consider that the loco is rather older now than Bluebell and Primrose were in 1960 ...

Tom

jnc, A1X 32670, black5 and 5 others like this.
  13. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    My apologies my friend, I was assuming we were entering a debate regarding ‘those 33’1s were ever all in blue not green y’know’ :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    35B likes this.
  14. Matt37401

Nosy aren’t you?
    Just out of curiosity Tom when are you going to be taking your secondmans course on it? ;)

Steve, Kje7812 and flying scotsman123 like this.
  15. JohnElliott

JohnElliott New Member

Next step, get the 2BIL out of Shildon and gather up all the SUB and EPB trailers to make a 7TC...

16. Jamessquared

The day it gets painted in full-on Wainwright livery …

Tom

17. Cosmo Bonsor

Cosmo Bonsor Member

Don't need a second man in the cab if it's at the front. I drove the other 33 EG to HK on my own which felt a little odd.
    And yes a 73 is under powered on our line.

18. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Now I’d pay to see that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

Sounds like a promising idea for Arlip Lofo and Locoshop. ;) maybe for the next spring edition of BN??

20. Jamessquared

Restoration update on LBSCR open 3rd carriage No. 328, currently being rebuilt in the C&W workshop after recovery about twenty years ago from a house in Shoreham. Restoration worked largely stopped during covid, but has now resumed.

https://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/cw_news/328.html

Latest update at the top, but read from the bottom upwards for the whole story. Being ex-LBSCR, the overhaul is far more extensive than is needed for ex-LCDR vehicles, which are both simpler in design and, being teak, survive better outside.

Tom

Mark Thompson, jnc, Johnme101 and 2 others like this.